Windows 10: Imaging to an ISO?

Discus and support Imaging to an ISO? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm continuing to learn about imaging, a topic I've previously neglected. In addition to a couple of images I've made using the Win 10 facility... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Terrypin, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Terrypin Win User

Imaging to an ISO?

I'm continuing to learn about imaging, a topic I've previously neglected. In addition to a couple of images I've made using the Win 10 facility (strangely accessed via File History?) I've just made another with a program called DataNumen Disk Image:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...magingProg.jpg
    DataNumen Disk Image - Create Disk and Drive Images

This no-brainer (the kind of tool I like!) makes images in ISO format. The Win 10 images I made were about 110 GB in size (roughly the capacity I've used on the SSD C: drive) but the DataNumen ISO is reported as 257 GB. The SSD is '256 GB' so am I right that the ISO has to be the same size, empty space and all?

Is that the key downside of this utility?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Aug 19, 2016

2. HP Printer Seen as an Imaging Device Not a Printer - Window 10 and 8.1

Dear Likhitha,

First of all, thank you for taking care of my inquiry.

I run Windows 10 Home x64 (laptop from 2016 , CORE i5)

When connecting printer via USB cable the HP Color Laser Jet CM1312 MFP is shown as an imaging/scanning device and isn't included into printers section. It's capable of scanning but not printing as it's asigned to devices not printers.

While adding a printer from control panel - add new -- local printer I can't find USB port to choose. I've alraedy uninstalled all devices under
    Universal Serial Bus controllers and restarted my laptop. Unfortuantelly, it did not help.

Device is detected via USB cable (the printer is exclusive of WIFI printing) but not as a printer but scanner.

To your information, I've downloaded and tested the latest drivers from HP website recommended by the HP Technician. He was also unable to solve the issue.

I hope you will help me out somehow.

Tomasz Makaruk, Aug 19, 2016
  3. HP Printer Seen as an Imaging Device Not a Printer - Window 10 and 8.1

Hi Guys

I've found and downloaded the latest version of the HP printer namely make HP Color Laser Jet CM1312 MFP. It's simply a driver not a full solution like HP Solution Centre used to be with all fucntions - scanning, printing, toner usage ect. At least
    it works on one of my laptop where the printer wasn't installed before.

It's strange. On two other laptops - rather new ones 2016 - Lenovo and Dell - after installation the driver, THE PRINTER IS SEEN AS AN (IMAGING) DEVICE NOT A PRINTER. It's not added to a printing queue in Device Manage and there's no sign of printer
    device as well. Does onyone encounter such a strange dehaviour and how to fix it?

Thank you for your time and effort. Truly appreciate it.

Tomasz Makaruk, Aug 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Imaging to an ISO?

Hi, I can't speak for that particular program- disk images are usually compressed, and most programs support different compression levels. So a base image may be about half the size of the source data, as a very rough guide.

Subsequent updates will be faster and smaller:
    differential images are directly related to the base image, being the changes from the base image.
    incremental images are typically smaller than differential images, relying on all incremental images subsequent to the base image and reflecting the change since the previous incremental image, assuming there is one.

Expect there to be a boot medium provided- which you need e.g. if your PC is unbootable.

Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) is often recommended here; Veeam Endpoint has been mentioned (free/commercial); others use Aomei or Easeus Todo Backup, some the rather bulky (my opinion!) Acronis TI, and there's O&O Disk Image and Paragon.

I've found some bugs or issues with Aomei in particular cases.

dalchina, Aug 19, 2016
  5. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks. I installed Macrium Free a month ago but daunted by its complex UI on first impression, so have not yet tried to make an image with it. That's why I found DataNumen's simplicity attractive.

Anyone else used it? Or any program that makes an ISO image, as I'm curioius about that size issue.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK (originally Erdington, Birmingham)

Terrypin, Aug 19, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    You may find Veeam Endpoint easier than Macrium. Aomei's relatively easy, but unhelpful error messages even for simple cases e.g. when the existing backup can't be found. (E.g. different drive letter) + some peculiarities in less common cases.

It sounds like your ISO is the complete SSD. Normally imaging software only images used clusters, so with compression, that's a smaller image and excludes non-unused clusters (but some offer options for 'forensic imaging' so you get an exact copy, creating a larger image).

dalchina, Aug 19, 2016
  7. PiKo Win User
    I assume that you have your data also written on the C partition? Otherwise i do not understand the high 110 Gb volume on the C.

8. Terrypin Win User

Imaging to an ISO?

Thanks, that explains it. As shown in the feature list seen at my second URL, DataNumen does indeed boast forensic capabilities.

--

Terrypin, Aug 20, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    MRF has loads of guides on web/youtube.

It really is easy to use.

PS. Is the Yenton still there.

cereberus, Aug 20, 2016
  10. Terrypin Win User
    Yes. Here's what C: looks like in TreeSize:

Imaging to an ISO? [​IMG]

--

Terrypin, Aug 20, 2016
  11. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks, I'll persist!

The Yenton? Apparently yes. But I guess the last time I'd have seen it was 50 years ago, probably as a kid on the Outer Circle # 11 bus *Smile

Imaging to an ISO? [​IMG]

P.S. I'm puzzled why my post is shown with 'Local time 02:21'. My local time (BST, an hour ahead of GMT/UTC) is 09:21. Does that 'local' refer to west coast USA?

--

Terrypin, Aug 20, 2016
  12. PiKo Win User
    I see that you have a D drive of 4 TB on which all data files are residing.
    And on the C drive only Windows, programme files and settings etc. are residing.
    In my case the volume of these files on the C drive is approx. 35 Gb and not 110 Gb.
    What makes the difference? I suppose that in your backup settings you keep backups or file histories of your C drive on the C drive.
    Ask yourself whether that has any sense or added value if for instance you make monthly a Macrium image.
    What Macrium Reflect concerns: make first a recovery disk; and forget all Windows imaging.

13. Terrypin Win User

Imaging to an ISO?

PiKo:

My screenshot earlier showed the full contents of C:, including 57 GB of data.

Not sure I understand your other point. I obviously don't backup C: to C: !

Terrypin, Aug 20, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@Terrypin

It really doesn't matter what format your backup is - the only important thing you need to be 100% sure is that can it RESTORE safely and also from a Stand alone bootable device such as a USB stick. This is important in case you swap HDD's, one gets broken or your computer gets riddled with un removeable malware and you don't want to go through the whole kybosh of re-installing Windows plus all your programs.

Macrium reflect can create a backup for you which if you want can also be bootable --that way you can have say the image plus bootable program on something like a 64GB USB stick.

Your Windows installation shouldn't be much over 50GB - and that's a lot - even if you have things like OFFICE, Photoshop, media servers etc installed. Keep DATA separate.

I'd also AVOID using optical media these days -- it's slow and can be unreliable.

Backup programs don't need any extra virus scanning stuff in them - they should be fast and do the job properly. Ensure your backup is CLEAN of course otherwise it's a total waste of time.

Macrium Free is very simple to use -- unless you really have to (and I've never found a reason to yet for WINDOWS ) take IMAGE option rather than CLONE (perhaps people can suggest why CLONE is useful for Windows systems -- I'm excluding Non Windows OS'es as partition and file systems are different and Clone is required when moving the OS --Linux for example) .

Imaging will require usually around 40-60% of the size of your windows installation generally.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 20, 2016
  15. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks Jimbo, very helpful. And in particular I do indeed see the advantage of excluding data files from C. It's currently making my backup planning a tad complex!

There is a counter-argument, a recommendation in another forum that influenced me strongly when specifying the configuration of my new PC. Namely that keeping regularly used files on my very fast SSD would have significant performance advantages. One of my main applications is video editing, and performance (especially when rendering a project) is an important factor.

But ... I'm by no means settled in my view.

------------

Re your emphasis on a 'clean' image, I buy that 100% - but how do you confidently and safely test that? And I mean without physicall opening up the PC and replacing drives, which is definitely outside my technical comfort zone.

Terry, UK

Terrypin, Aug 20, 2016
Thema:

Imaging to an ISO?

1. Imaging to an ISO? - Similar Threads - Imaging ISO

2. Cannot download Windows 11 Disk Image ISO for x64 devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot download Windows 11 Disk Image ISO for x64 devices.: Error:We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service. For this reason, leveraging anonymous or location hiding technologies when connecting to this service is not generally allowed. If you believe...
  3. Cannot download Windows 11 Disk Image ISO for x64 devices.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot download Windows 11 Disk Image ISO for x64 devices.: Error:We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service. For this reason, leveraging anonymous or location hiding technologies when connecting to this service is not generally allowed. If you believe...
  4. Is it possible to download an official ISO image of Windows XP Professional 32 bit from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to download an official ISO image of Windows XP Professional 32 bit from...: I have a software that requires to be compiled on a 32-bit operating system. I want to download the official ISO image and build a VM on VirtualBox to compile my software. If someone can confirm that XP can in-fact be downloaded using an MSDN license, I would procure one.PS:...
  5. Is it possible to download an official ISO image of Windows XP Professional 32 bit from...

Is it possible to download an official ISO image of Windows XP Professional 32 bit from...: I have a software that requires to be compiled on a 32-bit operating system. I want to download the official ISO image and build a VM on VirtualBox to compile my software. If someone can confirm that XP can in-fact be downloaded using an MSDN license, I would procure one.PS:...
  6. painting pale paper like texture after reinstalling windows via iso image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    painting pale paper like texture after reinstalling windows via iso image.: i don't know how to describe my problem as it has never happened to me before.everything was fine until i decided to reset my pc so i can have a fresh clean disk, but right after installation was completed i noticed this weird painting pale paper like texture on my wallpaper,...
  7. painting pale paper like texture after reinstalling windows via iso image.

painting pale paper like texture after reinstalling windows via iso image.: i don't know how to describe my problem as it has never happened to me before.everything was fine until i decided to reset my pc so i can have a fresh clean disk, but right after installation was completed i noticed this weird painting pale paper like texture on my wallpaper,...
  8. painting pale paper like texture after reinstalling windows via iso image.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Win 11 Disk Image ISO x64 for English United Kingdom, NO OPTION?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 Disk Image ISO x64 for English United Kingdom, NO OPTION?: I wanted to fix Win 11 and re-install. The only language options are English USA or English International. But because the install option says the language does not match? I can not save any of my apps? I chose English International but says it does not match my English...
  10. Win 11 Disk Image ISO x64 for English United Kingdom, NO OPTION?

Win 11 Disk Image ISO x64 for English United Kingdom, NO OPTION?: I wanted to fix Win 11 and re-install. The only language options are English USA or English International. But because the install option says the language does not match? I can not save any of my apps? I chose English International but says it does not match my English...