Windows 10: Import and Export Bookmarks as HTML in Firefox

Discus and support Import and Export Bookmarks as HTML in Firefox in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Import and Export Bookmarks as HTML in Firefox How to Import and Export Bookmarks via HTML in Firefox [img] Information This tutorial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by BunnyJ, Apr 25, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Import and Export Bookmarks as HTML in Firefox

How to: Import and Export Bookmarks as HTML in Firefox

How to Import and Export Bookmarks via HTML in Firefox

Import and Export Bookmarks as HTML in Firefox [​IMG]
    Information This tutorial will show you how to easily export and import your bookmarks in the Mozilla Firefox web browser using HTML files.

As well as acting as a backup of your bookmarks this is also a handy way of moving your bookmarks between operating systems and between browsers.

HTML files saved in earlier versions of Firefox are compatible with later versions of Firefox.

Note Firefox saves your bookmarks to the places.sqlite file in your profile folder in the hidden folder below.

%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

*Arrow Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data | Firefox Help

Option One: Export Bookmarks to HTML
    Option Two: Automatically Export Bookmarks to HTML
    Option Three: Import Bookmarks from an HTML File

OPTION ONE [/i] Export Bookmarks to an HTML File
    1:
    Click/tap on the Bookmarks tab then click/tap on Show All Bookmarks. The Library window will open.

2: Click/tap on the Import and Backup dropdown box then click/tap on Export Bookmarks to HTML

3: Navigate to your chosen file destination, name your file and click/tap on Save

4: You can now close the Library window

OPTION TWO [/i] Automatically Export Bookmarks to an HTML File
    1: With Firefox open, click/tap on a new tab then in the address box type in or copy and paste about:config. Click/tap on the Go arrow at the end of the address bar.

2: Click/tap on I'll be careful, I promise! to proceed.

3: Scroll down to the browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML entry then double click/tap anywhere on the entry line to change the value to True. Your bookmarks will now be automatically backed up to an HTML file.
    NOTE: Automatic backups will be saved to C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\bookmarks

NOTE: To turn off bookmarks being automatically backed up follow Option Two to Step 3, right click anywhere on the browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML entry and click/tap on Reset to change the value back to False.

OPTION THREE [/i] Import Bookmarks from an HTML File
    1: Click/tap on the Bookmarks tab then click/tap on Show All Bookmarks. The Library window will open.

2: Click/tap on the Import and Backup dropdown box then click/tap on Import Bookmarks from HTML

3: Navigate to your saved HTML file destination and click/tap on the HTML file you wish to restore

4: Your bookmarks will now be restored to Firefox and you can close the Library window.

That's it,
    Gav.

Related Tutorials

:)

BunnyJ, Apr 25, 2015
  2. Don Varnau, Apr 25, 2015
  3. graye Win User
    Importing bookmarks and their folders

I'm confused... I thought that exporting from FireFox into an HTML-based bookmarks file would contain all of the folders too.

Can you post (just a few lines please!) of your exported bookmarks.html file for us to look at?

graye, Apr 25, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

You're welcome Jeff. *Thumbs

Boozad, Apr 25, 2015
  5. Williams Win User
    and between browsers or not? Html files of Spartan or chrome are compatible with firefox and vice versa? I think yes, because during installation it asks what to import from other browsers to firefox. You could add such a piece of information in your tutorial.

Great work btw *Smile

Williams, Apr 25, 2015
  6. Boozad Win User
    I'll look into it certainly, I'll try it out with IE. I have no desire to install Chrome though to be honest.

Boozad, Apr 25, 2015
  7. Boozad Win User
    Confirmed, it works with IE although for the life of me I can't find where to import bookmarks anywhere in Spartan. I'll add the info to the header Tip.

Boozad, Apr 25, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

Nice 'tute' sir! *Smile
    You could also include the option to set Auto Export Bookmarks to HTML in 'about config'

Edwin, Apr 25, 2015
  9. Boozad Win User
    Thanks Edwin, I'll include that in. Great piece of info. *Thumbs

Boozad, Apr 25, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    No probs! *Smile
    They should save each time you close FF, I think, in: C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxx...

(Oops! Nitro html! I'm a Firefox traitor!) *Wink

Edwin, Apr 25, 2015
  11. Boozad Win User
    I've added the info to the tut but need to find the save location to put in, I'm struggling at the moment!

Boozad, Apr 25, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    They should land here by default:

Edwin, Apr 25, 2015
  13. Boozad Win User

Yep, just found it and added. *Smile

Boozad, Apr 25, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    Wouldn't it be easier to use the sync option in firefox ? The added/Deleted bookmark(s) will be updated across all platforms/PC's where ever you have firefox installed.
    • Right click on the title to show the Menu
    • Tools->Setup Sync
    • Your bookmarks will be saved and anything you add/delete will be updated in real time.

topgundcp, May 13, 2015
  15. Boozad Win User
    I'll do a separate tut for that as this one covers moving bookmarks between browsers.

Boozad, May 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Import and Export Bookmarks as HTML in Firefox - Similar Threads - Import Export Bookmarks

2. Import/Export Edge favorites as HTML

in Browsers and Email
    Import/Export Edge favorites as HTML: I go to settings and more go down and select settings but do not get the GENERAL selections that is shown in step three. Where am I going wrong? I am running Version 20H2 build 19042.685 latest update of Edge shipinomore 170150
  3. an inquiry about import/export faves in edge to html?

in Browsers and Email
    an inquiry about import/export faves in edge to html?: wondering when will edge browser be able to recognize "other" browsers to import/export html bkmrks? so far it recognizes IE which i dont use at all. this is an obstacle that bothers me *Shock 76604
  4. How import bookmark firefox on edge ?

in Browsers and Email
    How import bookmark firefox on edge ?: Please a read different web page but no find solution to import bookmark from firefox on edge Thnak Hispa 13234
  5. Importing favourites from a bookmark html file into Edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    Importing favourites from a bookmark html file into Edge browser: Hi, I would like to know the most reliable method to import Bookmarks/favourites saved on a USB stick in HTML file format into the Edge browser. I asked a similar question ages ago and importing with Edge was buggy so I'm wondering if the process works any better now? I...
  6. Importing Bookmarks from Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Importing Bookmarks from Firefox: Hi I am trying to import my Firefox bookmarks from my old computer into Windows 10, I have looked an some earlier forum discussions but cannot get them to move over. I have downloaded them into an HTML file on a USB stick, can I input from this anyway? 46615
  7. Import Bookmarks from Firefox to Chrome in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Bookmarks from Firefox to Chrome in Windows: How to: Import Bookmarks from Firefox to Chrome in Windows How to Import Bookmarks from Firefox to Chrome in Windows [img] Information You can keep track of the websites you visit frequently by storing them as bookmarks in Chrome. The bookmarks bar is a toolbar in...
  8. Import Bookmarks from Chrome to Firefox in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Bookmarks from Chrome to Firefox in Windows: How to: Import Bookmarks from Chrome to Firefox in Windows How to Import Bookmarks from Chrome to Firefox in Windows [img] Information You can keep track of the websites you visit frequently by storing them as bookmarks in Firefox. The bookmarks bar is a toolbar in...
  9. Import or Export Favorites as HTML File in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import or Export Favorites as HTML File in Microsoft Edge: How to: Import or Export Favorites as HTML File in Microsoft Edge How to Import or Export Microsoft Edge Favorites as HTML File in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...
  10. Import or Export Google Chrome Bookmarks as HTML in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import or Export Google Chrome Bookmarks as HTML in Windows: How to: Import or Export Google Chrome Bookmarks as HTML in Windows How to Import or Export Google Chrome Bookmarks as HTML in Windows You can keep track of the websites you visit frequently by storing them as bookmarks in Google Chrome. The bookmarks bar is a toolbar...