Windows 10: Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

Discus and support Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Import Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

How to: Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

How to Import Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10

Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted access. EFS enables transparent encryption and decryption of files for your user account by using advanced, standard cryptographic algorithms. Any individual or app that doesn't possess the appropriate file encryption key cannot open any encrypted files and folders. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your individual files and folders secure.

Creating a encrypted files and folders if the original certificate and key are lost or corrupted.

If you lose access to your encrypted files and folders, you will not be able to open them again unless you are able to restore your file encryption certificate and key used with EFS.

This tutorial will show you how to import the PFX file for your file encryption certificate and key used with Encrypting File System (EFS) in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

Warning When you encrypted files and folders.

No one will be able to restore the backed up file encryption certificate and key to gain access to your encrypted files and folders unless they are able to enter this password.

It is extremely important that you do not lose this password. Keep it written down in a safe secure location in case you need to restore your backed up file encryption certificate and key.

Be sure to also keep the PFX file backup of your encryption certificate and key saved in a safe and secure location in case you need to restore your backed up file encryption certificate and key.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Import PFX file to Restore your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key from PFX file
    • Option Two: To Import PFX file to Restore your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key from Certificates Manager

OPTION ONE [/i] To Import PFX file to Restore your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key from PFX file
    1. Either double click/tap on the backed up PFX file, or right click or press and hold on the PFX file and click/tap on Install PFX. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

4. Enter the password for the private key included in the PFX file , check Mark this key as exportable, check Include all extended properties, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5. Select (dot) Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Import PFX file to Restore your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key from Certificates Manager
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type certmgr.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Certificates Manager.

2. In the left pane of certmgr, right click or press and hold on the Personal store, click/tap on All Tasks, and click/tap on Import. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Browse button, select Personal Information Exchange from the file type drop down, navigate to the location you saved the PFX file, select the PFX file, click/tap on Open, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5. Enter the password for the private key included in the PFX file , check Mark this key as exportable, check Include all extended properties, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6. Select (dot) Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9. You can now close the certmgr window if you like. (see screenshot below)

Note You will need to refresh (F5) certmgr to see your imported EFS file encryption certificate and key now restored in Certificates in the Personal store.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 5, 2018

2. Cannot Access Encrypted Files After Successfully Importing Encrypting File System (EFS) Certificate

I encrypted a folder and its contents on my Windows 10 system. I then successfully backed-up (export) my EFS certificate to a thumb drive and successfully imported the EFS certificate to a Windows 7 system. I confirmed the EFS certificate did in fact install
    on the Windows 7 system and is located in my Personal | Certificates folder.

However, when I attempt to test the certificate by coping several of the encrypted files from my Windows 10 system to a USB drive and then attempting to open the files on my Windows 7 system, the file will not open. Windows as added a .PFILE file extension
    to each of the documents. It's my understanding the .PFILE indicates a protected file; which would be correct.

I can open the files on the USB drive without any issues on my Windows 10 system. So, I'm confused why I can't open them on my Windows 7 system since I received successful confirmations on my both the export and import of the EFS certificate.

Any suggestions?

Steve_1208, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

Hello DiamondGirl, *Smile

The lock on the top right of the icon indicates it may have been encrypted by EFS.

*Arrow Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

If so, you would need to backup your EFS certificate and key from the computer you encrypted them on, and then import this EFS certificate and key to the computer you want to view them on.

Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 26, 2019
  5. NW571 Win User
    Recover Encryption Key from AppData Files

As I said in the post, I lost my encryption key when my backup drive failed.

NW571, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How to open recovered encrypted files

Hi Navid,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

You can lose access to encrypted files if you install a new operating system or upgrade your current one, or if your current operating system fails. The following steps can help you regain access to encrypted files.

As you have stated that, the recovered files belonged to the previous OS I would suggest that you transfer the encrypted files to an external drive and perform the steps mentioned below:

• Insert the USB that your certificate and key are saved on.
    • Open Certificate Manager open Run Command and type
      certmgr.msc
      in the dialog box, and then press Enter.‌

Note: If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, click Personal.

• Click the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and then click
      Import. This opens the Certificate Import wizard
      and then click Next.
    • Click Browse and navigate to the file's location, click
      Open, and then click Next.
    • If you have navigated to the right location but don't see the certificate you are importing, then, in the list next to the
      File name box, click Personal Information Exchange.
    • Type the password, select the Mark this key as exportable check box, and then click
      Next.
    • Click Place all certificates in the following store, confirm that the
      Personal store is indicated, click Next, and then click
      Finish.
    • After you import the certificate, you should have access to the encrypted files.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Import Encrypting File

2. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  3. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....: Hello! I used to have a laptop and I sold it about two years ago. Before I sold it I moved my files to an external drive. The files were encrypted now I'm trying to access them on another pc but they're locked. Note: I was using my Microsoft Account when I did the encryption...
  4. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....: Hello! I used to have a laptop and I sold it about two years ago. Before I sold it I moved my files to an external drive. The files were encrypted now I'm trying to access them on another pc but they're locked. Note: I was using my Microsoft Account when I did the encryption...
  5. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Encrypting File System and Certificates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting File System and Certificates: Hello I was hoping someone could clearly explain why sharing files encrypted using EFS require Enterprise Certificate Authority? [ATTACH] Cheers Julian Leach...
  7. backup your file encryption certificate and key windows 10 popup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    backup your file encryption certificate and key windows 10 popup: Hi! When i open my pc i can see an icon, and when i click on it i get a pop-up that says: "backup your file encryption certificate and key ". I didnt encrypt anything , so i ran "cipher /u /n /h" in a cmd and nothing was outputted. I went in certmgr and in the...
  8. File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key: Hi, so recently i had to do a backup and reset for my laptop and it is just after the reset that i realised that some of my files were encrypted. I had by luck been able to backup the certificates but cannot get access to the files still. It says that the private key is...
  9. Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you EFS encrypt your files/folders, it’s recommended you create a backup of your file encryption certificate and key to a PFX file, to avoid permanently losing access to your encrypted files and folders if the original certificate and key [...] This...
  10. Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10: How to: Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Back Up Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...