Windows 10: Import or merge registry key not working

Discus and support Import or merge registry key not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, here is my problem. I exported a key (ieshims) to document folder. I made corrections using Notepad++ to some paths and saved it. I imported... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Giclopa, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Giclopa Win User

Import or merge registry key not working

Hi, here is my problem.

I exported a key (ieshims) to document folder. I made corrections using Notepad++ to some paths and saved it. I imported the key back and everything went fine.

The problem is that when I go back to look at my corrections in the registry, nothing is updated. The old key is shown.

The reason I exported/imported the key is that regedit doesn't allow me to make correction of a path on the left side of the key i.e. paths.

Would anyone tell me what could be my problem?

:)

Giclopa, Aug 28, 2015

2. Windows mobile device center not working using windows 7

still unable, when I follow the procedure and try to merge it says that is not a correct registry script. you can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor

Alejandro Carrillo Jimenez, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Mattew24 Win User
    Change the default action for .reg files

Do you have tested my two keys in Win 10 Keith?

Contrary to XP I don't know well Win 10 registry behavior so I'm wondering this ... If I merge them to the registry do the change remains limited to
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell] subkey or it affects other registry keys?

Thanks for the reply Shawn, I prefer to modify the contextual menu order not to change the default app for .reg files.

Mattew24, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Can you provide the full key path please.

Ztruker, Aug 28, 2015
  5. Giclopa Win User
    Hi Rich,
    Problem fixed.
    I was going to cut and paste the content of the key for posting it in the thread and discovered that in Block Note the data was not changed. I realized that the modifications was only displayed by Notepad++. So, I made the changes using Block note, and then deleted the old key, double click one the new one and eveything worked as expected.

Many thanks,

Giclopa, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Import or merge registry key not working - Similar Threads - Import merge registry

2. Registry Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry Key: hello, I'm wondering if this value found in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows is normal.the value name is "Load" with the value data of "C:\Windows\System32\msn.exe, C:\Windows\System32\msh.exe"thank you...
  3. PC unable to boot because delete important registry key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PC unable to boot because delete important registry key: Hey I was download microsoft visual studio so I go to youtube and type visual studio than a video with visual studio highly compress in 6 MB than I would think how it possible than I think try my luck it was 3 parti Mediafire link many people comment bad but I download. After...
  4. Registry key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry key: How do I fix requested registry key not allowed in msi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-key/62df446d-c4af-49b0-b902-eb1898ce55b5
  5. Cannot import registry key into regedit

Cannot import registry key into regedit: When i try to import .reg file into regedit it says that file is not .reg file,any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-import-registry-key-into-regedit/2607614e-56de-4287-9b37-58f70d495277
  6. Registry key refuses to import. What am i missing?

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry key refuses to import. What am i missing?: So i transferred my displayfusion registry settings from my main PC to my backup PC. at first glance, they all seem to import. Bindings are there, settings are there, license is there. However one of the folders with some high priority settings imports, but has no keys in...
  7. Registry keys registry keys

Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  8. problem exporting/importing registry keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem exporting/importing registry keys: I am using Repetier-Host for 3D printing. Configs are stored in the registry. Some configs are lines of code that contain CR, LF characters. These entries are made by the program. [ATTACH] If I look at the entry using Modify, copy the entry, save it to a txt file and look...
  9. Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows: How to: Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows How to Export and Import Registry Keys in Windows System configuration information is stored centrally in a hierarchical database called the registry. You can use Registry Editor to add and edit registry keys and...
  10. Importing and Merging favorites?

in Browsers and Email
    Importing and Merging favorites?: Little over 6 weeks ago now, I knew I was heading towards a crash and that I would be reinstalling Windows 8.1 then re-upgrading to Windows 10. To be safe, I saved my favorites in IE 11 to a usb stick. Now, I'd like to import them back into the Edge, without loosing new...