Windows 10: Important CAUTION on upgrading to Win10 if you are using HP Printers!!

Discus and support Important CAUTION on upgrading to Win10 if you are using HP Printers!! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently took the plunge and upgraded an old Win7 desktop to Win10 -- and was astounded by how well it went! Absolutely everything continued to work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mark Phelps, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Important CAUTION on upgrading to Win10 if you are using HP Printers!!

I recently took the plunge and upgraded an old Win7 desktop to Win10 -- and was astounded by how well it went! Absolutely everything continued to work in Win10, even old programs from back in the Win9x days!!

Or ... so I thought ...

Then, I discovered that the HP Printers would not work. No problem, I though, I'll just run the HP Win10 driver packages. After all, I did this on my desktop and the drivers installed and worked with no problems.

Hours later ... NOTHING worked to install or uninstall the old, non-working HP drivers. I downloaded and ran three different HP utilities to attempt driver cleanup. Any attempt of either was met with an error indicating that the "source was on a CD" and that needed to be inserted to continue. Yeah, right -- a CD I had back in 2010 and have not seen since, because newer driver versions were always downloaded from HP!

Called HP Tech Support -- had to spend $$ for help because the 8500 printer was out of warranty! Never mind that it was a Win10 problem -- as the printer worked fine in Win7.

Hour+ later -- despite remoting in, HP ran into the same problems I did --not able to install or uninstall the drivers.

So, I use 7-zip and extracted the HP driverpack to its constituent parts and ran the .msi installer -- same failure!

Out of desperation, I burned the extracted driver files to a CD and inserted that -- hoping that since they were now on CD, that would work. Got a little farther -- then the installer complained that the msi file on the CD was not a valid installer file!

Now, nearly two hours into the HP tech call, I finally found the original HP driver CD in a box of old CDs in a closet! So, I coerced the HP tech into uninstalling the older drivers using the CD -- that worked! Then, when the new installer ran, it finally worked, as well!!

Without that CD, my only recourse would have been to revert back to Win7, uninstall the HP driver stuff, redo the upgrade, and then reinstall the drivers. (I had a full image backup ready for doing that -- but I wanted HP to fix THEIR problem!)

Lesson learned the hard way -- if you are running HP software for HP printers, be sure to uninstall it BEFORE doing the Win10 upgrade.

:)

Mark Phelps, Feb 2, 2016
  2. LTCPerry Win User

Win10 and HP Laserjet Pro 400 M401dn printer Issues

Just upgraded to WIN10 from 7. Everything OK except for HP LaserJet Pro 400 m401dn printer.

The automatic Win10 install treats the printer as a USB CD drive. If the CD device is removed and using the HP installation software to force the PCL6 driver, the software says Win10 accepted the driver, but now does not see the printer on the USB port.

Have tried many approaches but no luck

Any ideas ?

LTCPerry, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Touchpad Toshiba won't work after upgrading to Win10

Touchpad Toshiba won't work after upgrading to Win10

and my printer HP is not compatible either with Win10 Important CAUTION on upgrading to Win10 if you are using HP Printers!! :(

ArafatSleiman, Feb 2, 2016
  4. rfruth Win User

Important CAUTION on upgrading to Win10 if you are using HP Printers!!

rfruth, Feb 2, 2016
  5. The drivers were not the problem -- I downloaded the Win10 HP printer drivers at least three different times, and the HP Support Rep downloaded them two additional times.

The point, which I thought I made, was that no one could REMOVE the old drivers, and until that happened, the new Win10 drivers failed installation -- every single time!

Mark Phelps, Feb 3, 2016
  6. dskiller Win User
    it might help.

1. make sure any HP service is not running in taskmanager. for some reason if its running it cant stop the service it self and runs into problems. have to go to administrative tools and services and find hp services and stop them

2. I dont know if Hp support walked you through running the cleanup process from the extracted software.
    first make sure hidden files is showing.
    run the hp installer that was downloaded, when it gets to the installer menu, close it. and go to c:\users\yourusername\appdata\local\temp\
    there should be a folder starting with 7z
    inside that folder should be folders starting with dot4, and files with hp.
    there should also be a folder called util
    go in that folder
    then there should be folder called ccc
    go in that folder
    at the bottom there should be bat files.
    click the uninstall_L4.bat to run it.

it should remove all drivers and software and reboot.
    but if there is any HP service running, the installer wont finish and will give installer error.

dskiller, Feb 3, 2016
  7. dskiller:

Wow -- thanks!

And no, they didn't do anything like what you mentioned --perhaps that's why they were not able to remove the old drivers.

I'm saving your post for future reference.

Mark Phelps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Important CAUTION on upgrading to Win10 if you are using HP Printers!!

1. Important CAUTION on upgrading to Win10 if you are using HP Printers!! - Similar Threads - Important CAUTION upgrading

2. HP Printer Using Windows Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Printer Using Windows Driver: My 5255 HP printer is using the win 10 printer driver. It prints and copies fine, but I can't get it to Scan to my Desktop pc.Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-printer-using-windows-driver/9275edf0-6f4f-4721-a70c-cd8cb0aad9af
  3. HP Printer Using Windows Driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP Printer Using Windows Driver: My 5255 HP printer is using the win 10 printer driver. It prints and copies fine, but I can't get it to Scan to my Desktop pc.Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-printer-using-windows-driver/9275edf0-6f4f-4721-a70c-cd8cb0aad9af
  4. HP Printer Using Windows Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. HP Printer Officejet6970 not connecting to PC using WIN10

HP Printer Officejet6970 not connecting to PC using WIN10: The printer will work just fine. It prints from my laptop using Win 7 It is connected via bluetooth to my PC and to my laptop It is recognized by the PC, by the router and connectivity is excellent signal strength. When you command it to print something from the PC,...
  6. HP 6MP printer driver for new version of win10

HP 6MP printer driver for new version of win10: I just did a new build and can not find a suitable printer driver for my HP 6MP laser printer. I have driver installed on another Win10 machine but was an older version when driver was installed. I came from Microsoft printer install process. Driver dated 6/21/2006,...
  7. Unable to Use HP Printer

Unable to Use HP Printer: Prior to Windows 10 updates, I was able to use my HP DeskJet Pro 4100 Series printer. Now, I cannot and I am extremely frustrated. I have spent countless of weekends and some week days to get my HP printer back to the ability to use it. I am set up wireless, which the...
  8. Upgrade to Win10 using previous upgrade key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to Win10 using previous upgrade key: I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 2 years ago when MSoft was giving out free upgrade keys. Used Win 10 for 6 months and then my PC was bricked by a May 2017 update which necessitated recovering back to Windows 7. I still have that key on the PC. Can I use it to upgrade the...
  9. Unable to print using HP printer 5650

Unable to print using HP printer 5650: My HP Printer 5650 won't respond to print command. Displays error and 3/1 pages instead of 1 page. Done trouble shooting without success. what do I do next? **** modified tittle from HP Printer ***...
  10. Can you delete a printer you are no longer using?

Can you delete a printer you are no longer using?: I have a couple of printers listed on my printer list that I no longer use - don't even still have them - and I would like to delete them but don't know how. Does anyone know how - or even if they can be successfully deleted?...