Windows 10: Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine

Discus and support Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This morning I pulled out one of my old USB 2.0 external HDD's, and formatted it, to not only make a system image from my system disk, but also of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cliff S, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine

This morning I pulled out one of my old USB 2.0 external HDD's, and formatted it, to not only make a system image from my system disk, but also of my 2nd internal disk that's used for Libraries and backup images and File History.

The time is nearing for Win10 RTM and if something goes wrong I want to be prepared. My system is working perfectly(no problems after the last round of updates & patches), all my software/programs are up to date, and I have disabled my installed theme and run SFC-DISM to reset everything.

This is taking a while because I'm making an image of 11 Reflect system images too on the backup partition.

I cannot recommend strongly enough, that everybody else do this(especially the ´"beginners") or else here in the forums there will be a lot of "I lost all my files, what do I do now?" posts, when there is a power fluctuation or you lose internet connection or maybe be a driver/software(in my case it was Samsung Rapid) compatibility problem that causes a BSOD after Upgrading.

So prepare right now for the worst if your system is running smoothly and do yourself a favor and image all your internal disks now, even if you do a "Clean Install", because you never know....

Attachment 17630

:)

Cliff S, Apr 24, 2015
  2. devilgas Win User

repeated issue with windows 10 installation

Did run all the recent important and optional Windows updates on the machine 1st? Some of them are preparation updates that need to run before the upgrade

devilgas, Apr 24, 2015
  3. Quicken for PC running in virtual WIN10 machine on iMAC via Parallels 11

Hi,

You need to check with the Quicken support as it is an issue with Q14WIN.

Quicken 2018: Personal Finance, Money Management, Budgeting

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 24, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Whew!! That took a while! It just finished. After the image was done I did a verify. 5 hours in all, but worth it I'm sure. It took up 394GB up, because as I said before, I even backed up my backup images( 11 in all with different configuration/update levels) and File History from my 2nd internal drive.

So, bring on the Ten!
    Bring on the Ten!
    Here comes the pain!(Not!!!)

Cliff S, Apr 24, 2015
  5. badrobot Win User
    Backing up externally shouldn't only be done in anticipation of Win 10. It should be done all the time in case of unexpected screw ups on any OS.

Here's my data backup:

Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine [​IMG]

On my main PC, I have no data stored on internal hard drive except for disposable files. Everything goes to my NAS and external drives. Even my music and videos are on the NAS.

And here's my OS backup ( the hard drive contains only macrium images from my 3 machines):

Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine [​IMG]

badrobot, Apr 24, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    I back up monthly to second internal or before big changes, and I just have my laptop(shown in specs)which is now only if I have to help someone out at their house or in case of DCF(Desktop Catastrophic Failure) and my Lenovo H530 desktop(specs can be seen at Eight Forums) only has a couple of documents(nothing really important, I still like paper*Smile and use OneDrive for them too) and some ripped music, so I all I really need are my monthly's and 1 good image on an external(which I just redid today).

I basically wrote the post for the many, too many actually, people that come to the forums that don't have any system images and think File history is going to be enough(NOT). How many people come to the forums with problems that could be solved by an image? BSOD, driver failures, bad patches...etc. When it comes time to upgrade they need to know to, and what to, image(everything), because after it starts and something unexpected happens(junior trips over power cord) there is no going back.

Cliff S, Apr 24, 2015
  7. Dude Win User
    Good advice Cliff. I did a system back a few days ago

8. Cliff S New Member

I actually wanted to redo/update my off computer image a while ago, but waited for patch Tuesday, then came this weeks round of updates, then I had to turn off/unpatch my theme, so I waited till today when I had enough time knowing it would take a while because it was a total image and the USB drive is a 4 year old USB 2.0 that I keep in a closet(being Germen houses are usually made of cement blocks it stays the same cool temperature year round). I use the old 2.0 because it's too slow for any other use*Rolleyes.

Cliff S, Apr 24, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    I do an image on Win 7 every other day.

10. Gary Win User
    What does [SFC-DISM] actually do. Restore everything to default? Does it remove Updates?

11. Cliff S New Member
    It's Code: Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc/scannow&Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc/scannow&pause[/quote] And it is the system file checker(SFC) which checks and repairs system files, and Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool(DISM) which cleans up the Windows Side by Side(WinSxS) folder.

Cliff S, Apr 24, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome. The only problem is, with 10TP, the commands work on some peoples systems, and others not, on this build but not on the next,, it's not very persistant. if it doesn't work from an Admin Command Prompt, you have to do it hte hard way and use your install media and point the commands to use that for comparing good files with corrupted ones.

Cliff S, Apr 24, 2015
  13. badrobot Win User

Yeah,I find the File History unreliable, too. One time it can't read the image I created with it. It was a disaster.

badrobot, Apr 24, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    The one(only?) thing I like about file history is, when/if I delete something from my system disk(SSD) I will still have a copy if I leave enough GB's room in file history and not too much time has past, that it get's over written. But really my main backup is OneDrive so I can access it on any computer when signed in as guest.

Cliff S, Apr 25, 2015
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    I make images all the time on 8 different disks (not all on the same system) with 3 different programs - Macrium, AOMEI and the Wbadmin command. But I am not yet preparing for Windows 10 - maybe in a year from now. I let you guys debug it. Or maybe never for most of my systems - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll just keep one virtual copy around so that I can keep up-to-date and talk to you guys intelligently - if that is possible, LOL.

Thema:

1. Important Step In Preparing for Win10 on Main Machine - Similar Threads - Important Step Preparing

2. Windows Stuck On “Preparing Files” Step

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Stuck On “Preparing Files” Step: so basically ive built my new PC and plugged in my usb to install windows, i go through all the steps perfectly fine and once it gets to the second step of installation, “Getting files ready for installation” it’ll go up to about 20% and freeze, i can’t move my mouse or...
  3. Preparing a Win10 integration and customization with NTLite

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preparing a Win10 integration and customization with NTLite: Hello, As I wrote here I broke my laptop. I finally bought a new HP Probook 450 G7 laptop and will follow your advice by performing a fresh install. 2 years ago I used NTLite (paidlicense) to prepare Win10 Pro for the old Asus. Today, I downloaded from HP Assistance Win10...
  4. Win10 and virtual machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 and virtual machines: Is windows 10 home able to run virtual machines like “vm ware player” or do i need the pro version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-and-virtual-machines/2508a1ce-c3aa-4ad1-89cd-4e9ec25144be
  5. How Best To Work With Two 'Main' Machines?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How Best To Work With Two 'Main' Machines?: We have a home LAN. Two of the machines are my 'main' machines. One in the house. One in the shed. It'd be nice if I could work from either one and have access to the same apps, the same data. What's the paradigm these days for doing that? 126629
  6. How Best To Work With Two 'Main' Machines?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Best To Work With Two 'Main' Machines?: We have a home LAN. Two of the machines are my 'main' machines. One in the house. One in the shed. It'd be nice if I could work from either one and have access to the same apps, the same data. What's the paradigm these days for doing that? 126629
  7. Problem with main functions of win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with main functions of win10: I have an issue with my win10. Start Menu, Settings window, notifications stopped working. At all. I can't open anything of it. When I press "Start" button - happens nothing. When I press Win+I - happens nothing. Even when I'm trying to open settings with command...
  8. import of pictures on Win 10 machine

in Windows 10 Support
    import of pictures on Win 10 machine: Start, right click, Control Panel, Hardware and Devices: my camera (Nikon D7000) comes up. Import pictures fails. The error message says: 'no pictures or videos were found on this device'. Did the same thing on my Windows 7 machine (good thing its not yet upgraded). It...
  9. Use Win10 as main OS ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Use Win10 as main OS ??: Hello. I know Microsoft does not recommend using windows 10 as the main OS, but I have to change my mainboard and CPU next weekend, and therefor I want to do a clean install. But do I install Windows 8.1again? Or is it safe to take the chance and use Windows 10 as Main OS...
  10. The CLOUD Act is an important step forward, but more steps needed

in Windows 10 News
    The CLOUD Act is an important step forward, but more steps needed: On Feb. 27, we went to the U.S Supreme Court to argue a case that has become known as the “Microsoft warrant case.” As we arrived at court that morning, we thought it was important to repeat a point we’ve been making since we first filed our legal challenge more than four...