Windows 10: Impossible for laptop to upgrade to Windows 10

Discus and support Impossible for laptop to upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yesterday i received a notification that my laptop was approved and confirmed ready to upgrade to Windows 10. So i launched the Windows 10 Upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PeterDK, Aug 7, 2015.

1. PeterDK Win User

Impossible for laptop to upgrade to Windows 10

Yesterday i received a notification that my laptop was approved and confirmed ready to upgrade to Windows 10.
    So i launched the Windows 10 Upgrade popup and initiated the upgrade.

It reached the screen where a round circle appears with the percentage status inside, and it did indeed complete the first part and restarted.
    However, after the restart, it went into "Repair mode" and which failed. So i then had to reinstall Windows 8.1 and i tried upgrading from the MediaCreationTool onto a USB stick.
    Tried running that, the same happend Again - booted into Repair mode instead of just completing the Windows 10 upgrade.

Now. I tried performing a clean install from the USB stick - that worked without a problem! However, my activation key didnt work and would not activate. I can now read that i HAS to upgrade from 8.1 for that to work.

So all day i have tried various methods of upgrading from 8.1 to 10, with and without the official Upgrade popup - but all upgrades, leads into a reboot following the failed Repair mode attempt..

Any idea on what to do now? I am all out of ideas now.

:)

PeterDK, Aug 7, 2015

2. Literally impossible for me to upgrade to Windows 10 now.

Hi Ace,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

From the description provided, I understand that you are unable to install Windows 10 due to space storage criteria on your hard drive.

Please refer to the below minimum requirements you need to know before installing Windows 10.

Make sure you are running the latest version of either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor.

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit.

Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS.

Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.

Display: 800x600.

I suggest you to refer to the section How do I upgrade on a low storage device
    in the below link and check if it helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Literally impossible for me to upgrade to Windows 10 now.

I have restored my computer completely. There is absolutely nothing extra on the hard drive other than a few files that total no more than a few megabytes. Windows still claims I need more space. How do I get 17.8 GB on my hard drive when I had less than
    20 to begin with?!

Ace Boogie, Aug 7, 2015
  4. dstark Win User

When I upgraded to windows 10 and it failed I booted into another copy of windows on another hard drive on the same computer and used produkey to get the key of windows 10 on the failed install of windows 10 and then did a fresh install of windows 10 with that key. you could try that if you have another copy of windows and another hard drive. Just take the hard drive out of the laptop plug it into a desktop and run produkey as admin and select the windows folder of the laptop drive as the target. Again this only works if you have another copy of windows.

dstark, Aug 7, 2015
  5. PeterDK Win User
    That's an idea, thank you. That just seems like a big effort to try and acomplish something - that should be simple, if you get me.
    I find it weird that the Windows 10 upgrade through Windows Update on Windows 8.1, should fail so horribly.

PeterDK, Aug 7, 2015
  6. dstark Win User
    Did it work? Please say it worked. If it did it will be the solution for my problem as well.

dstark, Aug 8, 2015
  7. PeterDK Win User
    I did some messing with the BIOS so I am currently stuck with a black screen on boot :/
    Trying to give it some time and see if it will boot up later.
    Didn't even get to try your fix yet, will get back when I get a chance.

PeterDK, Aug 8, 2015
  8. dstark Win User

Well I am going to try it and I will report back the results.

dstark, Aug 8, 2015
  9. dstark Win User
    So I tried doing an install though the media creation tool and I did not get any error and windows 10 works perfectly so I can not say for sure if it would work. I can say that the key is the same as before so it should work.

dstark, Aug 8, 2015
  10. Sorry to interrupt you guys, i saw you were upgrading to Windows 10 on your laptop. Can i ask you how can i proceed with the Setup from my Windows 8.1? I downloaded MediaCreationTool and selected "Create Installation media for other PC" which provided me an .iso file. I copied that .iso file by using "Rufus" Bootable usb tool. All went well.

I plugged that USB (contains windows 10 setup files) into my laptop and went to My Computer to run the setup from inside the Windows 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10. When i am clicking on "setup.exe" it is showing me this error "Use the other installation disc that says 64-bit. When you insert it, Windows Setup will restart automatically."

I am sure that i selected 64bit version of "Windows 10 Home Single Language" while creating Installation Media. But i don't know why the heck my laptop is not starting the windows setup.

WindowsUser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Impossible for laptop to upgrade to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Impossible laptop upgrade

2. Upgrade windows 7 to 10 impossible 0x8007001F – 0x20006

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade windows 7 to 10 impossible 0x8007001F – 0x20006: Please help me, I have been trying to upgrade from win 7 to 10 not because I want to... but because I have to since support for win 7 is over.It has been 3 days I have tried over a hundred things, nothing works.I cant describe more precisely.When trying to install win 10, I...
  3. Upgrade windows 7 to 10 impossible 0x8007001F – 0x20006

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade windows 7 to 10 impossible 0x8007001F – 0x20006: Please help me, I have been trying to upgrade from win 7 to 10 not because I want to... but because I have to since support for win 7 is over.It has been 3 days I have tried over a hundred things, nothing works.I cant describe more precisely.When trying to install win 10, I...
  4. Impossible upgrade to Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Impossible upgrade to Windows 11 Pro: Hello,I got a new PC with preinstalled Windows 11 Home, version 21H2, and I would like to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. But when it comes to upgrade to 11 Pro, Microsoft Store offers me an upgrade to 10/11 Pro that is not fit for my PC.Should I wait for the Coming soon Windows...
  5. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  6. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  7. Upgrading to 20H2 is impossible

Upgrading to 20H2 is impossible: Hello. I would like to ask why is the installation of 20H2 enforced. It forcibly installed today and now it's trying to reboot to replace my currently running version. Is there a way to stop it? The problem is that 20H1 and 20H2 are awfully unstable, for some reason,...
  8. Impossible to install Windows 10 on old laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Impossible to install Windows 10 on old laptop: I have a old Samsung laptop and i want to do a fresh Windows 10 install on it, using the Kingston internal SSD i bought and an USB with Media Creation Tool. The USB is FAT32 with everything ready inside, the SSD is empty because is new, the Boot Priority Order is as it should...
  9. Impossible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Impossible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10: Hi everyone, I know after all this time i have still been using 7 but for like a week or so i have tried to upgrate to 10 but apparently i can't. Keep having the follwing error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Can you guys help me please ? Thanks in advance for the help provided,...
  10. Impossible to upgrade windows 10

Impossible to upgrade windows 10: Hi all, I need support because i am very tired and disappointed from this new model of upgrading windows, introduced with windows 10. The machine of interest is a Dell laptop, type of mobile workstation, Precision M6800. It is quite powerful i can say and in excellent...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asus laptop impossible windows upgrade