Windows 10: impossible to access network share from system context

Discus and support impossible to access network share from system context in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For a number of reasons I need the system context to be able to access and read certain public network shares. These shares are located on a samba... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by freesbee, May 21, 2016.

1. freesbee Win User

impossible to access network share from system context

For a number of reasons I need the system context to be able to access and read certain public network shares.
    These shares are located on a samba server, and are public read to everyone. Environment is WORKGROUP.
    My Win10 machine can ping the server sharing the folder, and can properly read the folder content unless the action runs under the user nt authority\system (the one I need to run the action).
    The machine has already been patched with the change
    [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters] AllowInsecureGuestAuth REG_DWORD 1
    but this seems to have no effect on this specific issue.
    The machine is a fresh install, and anyway this behaviour is happening systematically
    (and since a few weeks). For running processes under system context I use
    PSexec.exe -i -s cmd
    by Mark Russinovich
    In Win7 the behaviour is as expected (the result of the red cmd is the same than the yellow cmd).
    In my specific case it does not make much sense to create a user on the samba server, because shares are absolutely public.
    Is anybody having a similar issue??

impossible to access network share from system context [​IMG]

:)

freesbee, May 21, 2016
  2. Dinh22 Win User

Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 not working after 1709 update

Still impossible. Maybe you are sharing from your mobile network, so you have that option. Mine is wired network and when I click on that, it just opens the Network and Internet setting.

Dinh22, May 21, 2016
  3. Bug in Windows 8/10 workgroup networking with "password protected sharing" off when using a Microsoft Account.

• Windows v1511 (10586), fully patched

When using a Microsoft account in Windows 10, it is impossible to access workgroup shares on host computers that have been set to "turn off password protected sharing." When you double click on the no-password shared computer, it brings up a user/password
    dialogue, even though password protected sharing is off. The expected behavior is immediate access to the share, as it does when you access with a local account.

Furthermore, this user/password dialogue is useless, as typing in the name and password of valid accounts on the host system result in an error that the user name or password is incorrect. I can't enter "Guest" with no password either, and the Guest account
    is activated.

On host systems set to "turn on password protected sharing," the share access works fine. In fact the password protected machine I was trying to access had the same Microsoft account on it, and it immediately assumed my credentials and accessed my files.

This is more a bug report than a question. I would like non-password protected shares to be accessible from a Microsoft account. As it stands, workgroup non-password protected shares are unusable when using a Microsoft account.

The only workarounds I have discovered is either a) create a local account and access the shares from there, which works fine, or b) turn on password protected sharing on all networked systems, which I do not want to do on my small home LAN. I want passwordless
    shares on my LAN.

I cannot use Homegroup sharing because not all my systems are Homegroup capable, and I would still like to use their workgroup shares.

Any ideas, or is this a bug?

(This also occurs in Windows 8, as I've seen it on the forums. It is an _old_ problem.)

R. Hansen_690, May 21, 2016
  4. freesbee Win User

...it appears to be samba related.
    I will post more information as soon as it will be clarified.

freesbee, May 22, 2016
Thema:

1. impossible to access network share from system context - Similar Threads - impossible access network

2. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  3. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  4. Can't access Files on network share from Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access Files on network share from Laptop: I have a Desktop and Laptop on my home network, both are using the same Microsoft account and are on the same Network and can both can be seen on the Network on both computers.I can access the Laptop from the Desktop but I can't access the Desktop from the Laptop.Both have...
  5. Cannot access network share

Cannot access network share: From my Windows 10 machine Machine 1, I cannot access folders that are shared on a Windows XP machine Machine 2. I don't think it is an OS incompatibility issue. For years, it worked. And, accessing shared folders on a second Windows XP machine Machine 3 is working, as it...
  6. shared network printer...impossible windows 10

shared network printer...impossible windows 10: Hi. I've just bought a new computer with W10 64 home edition 20H2. I used to have my old pc also with W10 64, connect with a shared printer which was usb connected to a W7 netbook with no problems at all. Now I have my new pc with W10 64 20H2 19042.804. I have my old pc...
  7. I want to access shared while from network in my system

I want to access shared while from network in my system: My father has shared some document files on network how I can access that files in my system which has windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-access-shared-while-from-network-in-my/bcc1329e-efe3-4a79-81dd-0fd3ebafdff7
  8. network sharing / access

network sharing / access: [ATTACH] I've clicked and searched folders, explorer, sharing, users, advanced etc. and all I know to look at for hours. I can't access Jason at all, see this message. I can see the third computer and can access the \\users\public folder - on it. His computer name is -2019...
  9. BSOD accessing a network share

BSOD accessing a network share: I have a PC running Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7). I also have a network disk connected to the Apple Airport base station. The disk is formatted as SMB share and the Airport handles it without any problems. The disk is accessible by any other computer I have (2 Mac...
  10. Can't access network shares

Can't access network shares: Before the upgrade to 10 I was on 7 and logged in with a local account with all computers having the same usernames and passwords and sharing worked flawlessly. After the upgrade I am now logging in with a Microsoft account and sharing does not work. Windows 7 Pro -->...