Windows 10: Improper resolution of Documents folder?

Discus and support Improper resolution of Documents folder? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have used the Location tab on the Documents folder to move my folder to 'J:\Documents'. [img] In the registry I see these two keys:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by arachnaut, Jun 28, 2016.

1. arachnaut Win User

Improper resolution of Documents folder?

I have used the Location tab on the Documents folder to move my folder to 'J:\Documents'.

Improper resolution of Documents folder? [​IMG]

In the registry I see these two keys:

Code: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders] "Personal"="J:\\Documents" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders] "Personal"=hex(2):4a,00,3a,00,5c,00,44,00,6f,00,63,00,75,00,6d,00,65,00,6e,00,\ 74,00,73,00,00,00[/quote] However, when I use the expression %USERPROFILE%\Documents it always expands incorrectly:

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd %USERPROFILE%\Documents C:\Users\Jim\Documents>[/quote] What could I be doing wrong?

I suppose the resolution of %USERPROFILE% is fixed and not context-sensitive, so how should this be expressed for a shell file?

:)

arachnaut, Jun 28, 2016
  2. Scott 98 Win User

Monitor resolution improper

when I first upgraded to Windows 10 I had a similar problem , the next thing I tried was go to device manager then display adapter then to your graphic driver then uninstall, restart and let Windows install current driver through windows update then I
    was able to pick the screen resolution I needed 1920 x 1080 mine is ATI radeon 3000 graphics,good luck , and by the way which build are you on from Windows 10 ? because that makes a difference also.

Scott 98, Jun 28, 2016
  3. Monitor resolution improper

I tried removing the graphic driver two ways with the second one with a check in the box. Each time I would restart the computer. No luck.

The Windows 10 build says;

Version

10.0.10586 Build 10586

WilliamWahl, Jun 28, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

There could be a couple of reasons.

When you move your Documents folder to another Drive, you are presented with a Popup window that asks if you want to move the contents. If you don't select yes, you can end up with your Documents in both places.

There is a hidden documents folder which cannot be oved as it is basically a pointer. It holds no documents, it only points to where your documents actually are. Many programs use your documents folder by default. If you move them from the default location, something has to tell them where they are now.

In the same vein, there are a very few programs which are coded to put their files in C:\Users\Username]Documents. If you have moved them, the program will create a Documents folder in C:\Users.

If you will go to File Explorer and right click the Documents folder and select properties, it will tell you where your documents actually are. As you can see, mine are on my E drive.

essenbe, Jun 28, 2016
  5. arachnaut Win User
    Mine are on the J drive.

I did a full move of all the files when I made my user folder (probably on Windows 7). I have updated in-place from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10.

Several of my programs installs made folders on the fixed location 'C:\Users\Jim\Documents'.

So I do have some stuff there, but most stuff in the proper location.

However, that does not answer my question about the expansion of the Userprofiles nor how to programs actually locate the correct place.

This all seems very sloppy to me.

I guess I am basically asking how does one programmatically find a user 'Documents' folder?

By the way, 'shellImproper resolution of Documents folder? :personal' resolves properly.

arachnaut, Jun 28, 2016
  6. arachnaut Win User
    I decided to create a junction in C:\Users\Jim called Documents and pointed it to the true location.
    Things seem to be OK now.

arachnaut, Jun 29, 2016
  7. Previous versions used to do that for you when you moved the folder(s) through properties > location.

Windows 10 has implemented a new method of moving the special User folders in Settings > Save locations. This change seems to have affected the properties > location method in that the junction is no longer created.

essenbe alluded to the junction in his post and you created one manually so the issue is resolved. I don't know if I would characterize this as a bug though - probably.

I've been on too many versions of Win10 to be absolutely certain the above is factual, but I noticed the same behavior on my machines when I did a Clean install (therefore, no junctions were carried over from an upgrade)

Good troubleshooting arachnaut.

Slartybart, Jun 29, 2016
  8. arachnaut Win User

Well, it's also possible that some of my older XP-era programs were problemmatic because they manually created the user folders without checking things properly. So when the folder is in the User area maybe the junction won't be made.

I moved everything out of the User folders, deleted the User folders, then made the junction to the 'location'.

arachnaut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Improper resolution of Documents folder? - Similar Threads - Improper resolution Documents

2. Documents folder inside Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder inside Documents folder: A question identical or similar to this was raised in 2021 on this forum but I don't quite understand the advice that was given then. I have this annoying setup on my system, which I seem to have had ever since Windows 7 came along: In the right pane of File Explorer the...
  3. Documents folder inside Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder inside Documents folder: A question identical or similar to this was raised in 2021 on this forum but I don't quite understand the advice that was given then. I have this annoying setup on my system, which I seem to have had ever since Windows 7 came along: In the right pane of File Explorer the...
  4. Documents folder inside Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. document folders

document folders: My Documents folder similar to Pictures and Music folders is empty, but all my documents can be found in username/documents. How do I get them to show up in my primary Documents folder?...
  6. Windows 10 Resolution displaying improperly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Resolution displaying improperly: Hello! I'm having a problem with the Windows 10 resolution output to an older small TV that I use as a second monitor. I've been using it for about a year now, so I know it's not a problem with the Tv itself. My problem is that on that TV, it's not showing the resolution it...
  7. Documents Folder

Documents Folder: how to in documents folder add a file to an existing file. sometimes need to update or add information to a file in documents folder. use win 10. when attempt to add a file it adds as a new file. Need to place a file or information in a file already in the documents...
  8. Improper ShutDown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Improper ShutDown: So, my desktop computer with Windows 10 installed has a problem shutting down properly. The usual process takes place and the monitor goes blank but the fans and lights on the CPU are still on. I have, to no effect, waited for more than 30 minutes hoping they'd go off...
  9. OneDrive documents folder and the real documents folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive documents folder and the real documents folder.: I didn't find an answer to this exact question. Windows 10 Home 1511 x64 clean install. In the left pane of File Explorer there is a Documents folder which points to my OneDrive folder and contains almost nothing (just a few folders that programs created). Under my username...
  10. documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    documents folder: I try to print out my bank statement but it goes into documents folder. How do I print out from the documents folder when win 10 puts it back? 17981