Windows 10: In CALC convert text date to number date

Discus and support In CALC convert text date to number date in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The field shows as text 10/11/1985. How can I convert it to number? 103512 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by chuckr43, Jan 31, 2018.

1. chuckr43 Win User

In CALC convert text date to number date

The field shows as text 10/11/1985. How can I convert it to number?

:)

chuckr43, Jan 31, 2018

2. Exporting Text Messages from a Windows Phone

Thanks a lot. I used the first part of your formula

but I did not use powershell

I instead used this formula to convert your FLOOR formula

=(((A2/60)/60)/24)+DATE(1970,1,1)

That converted it to a date format, then I formatted the text using Format Cells and selected date.

Then it appeared as a normal date.

Cupidgotlost, Jan 31, 2018
  3. I can't access settings or use Microsoft Edge, I am not running a Lenovo laptop, so that fix doesn't work for me. Please assist.

I did a system restore, and it doesn't help, other than doing a fresh install, I am at a loss.

Teremune-Date, Jan 31, 2018
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. Not sure what you mean. Please explain further.

Edit:

Do you mean 10111985?

Tony K, Jan 31, 2018
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey chuck43,
    I don't think the Windows Calculator will convert Human Readable Date (10/11/1985) to an Epoch TimeStamp (497851200) if that's what your wanting to do. Check out his site for doing that ... Epoch Converter - Unix Timestamp Converter

Eagle51, Jan 31, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    Excel Online will convert date 10/11/1985 to a number (31361) which is different from Epoch timestamp.

Excel counts days since Jan 1 1900 (which = 1 not zero and current date is included) not seconds since 1st Jan 1970 like Epoch. See Excel: How Excel stores dates and times - OfficeTuts.net

Like @Tony K said depends what number you want but you could use Calculator app to convert to Excel format by using the Date Calculation option (click on the 3 lines in top left) and working out the number of days between 30 December 1899 and whatever date you want.

In CALC convert text date to number date [​IMG]

In CALC convert text date to number date [​IMG]

7. chuckr43 Win User
    The reason for the conversion was to put a long column of text dates, like 03/10/1998 in chronological order.

After much searching, I found this gem on my hard drive. It works for OpenOffice Calc so it may work for Excel.

If you want to apply a numerical format to a column of numbers in text format (for example, text "000123" becomes number "123"), do the following:

• Select the column in which the digits are found in text format. Set the cell format in that column as "Number".
    • Choose Edit - Find & Replace
    • In the Search for box, enter ^[0-9]
    • In the Replace with box, enter &
    • Check Regular expressions
    • Check Current selection only
    • Click Replace All

chuckr43, Jan 31, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

I understand even less now than I did before.

You don't want to use the Calculator app but the function CALC in some program you never mentioned and now you don't want to convert dates but just trim leading zeros.

Probably better if you explain what you want to do and (more importantly) in what program in future.

I'm not complaining as I learned about Epoch Timestamp anyway.

9. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. Yes, there is no setting in Calculator to convert, however there is a way to sort in Excel. You can copy a column of text dates then paste into Excel. It automatically knows they are dates. Then highlight the column and use the sort option on the Home tab > editing section of the ribbon.

I suppose Open Office has it as well.

Tony K, Jan 31, 2018
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Edit: there was some editing going on...

Chuckr43 is explaining the procedure for Openoffice Calc, which is alternative to MS Excel. Not the Calculator app.
    Even in Excel, sometimes one have to change numbers which are interpreted as text in numbers...

There are other ways, but I'm more familiar with Excel

AndreTen, Jan 31, 2018
  11. lx07 Win User
    Apologies. When I said "you should explain something" that was not fair. What I should have said is "I don't understand the question".

It wasn't clear to me CALC (with no context) meant a function in OpenOffice. As I don't use OpenOffice I'll drop out now.

Thema:

1. In CALC convert text date to number date - Similar Threads - CALC convert text

2. date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    date: how do i add the option ''date'' in ''sort'' in files? it only shows ''date modified'' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/date/33eb4fed-3353-488c-b0b3-0e9bb750b517
  3. Iranian date at lockscreenPersian date

in Windows 10 Customization
    Iranian date at lockscreenPersian date: Hello & good time, I have trouble, When I want to sign in, I see the Persian date on the Lock screen, of course, desktop time is OK,I want to change the lock screen date to a gregorian date Help me what should I do? plz, advise me...thank you......
  4. how to convert text to number

in Windows 10 Support
    how to convert text to number: how to convert text to number 171793
  5. Want to insert Specific Text or number or date for more than one file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Want to insert Specific Text or number or date for more than one file.: Let say, I want to insert text "PD_" for each file file may be word, excel, pdf etc Before adding text "PD_" [ATTACH] After adding text "PD_" [ATTACH]...
  6. VS 2019 Convert Text to Hex Number

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VS 2019 Convert Text to Hex Number: I need to convert the data in the Text box into HEX number and send it through serial port. Here is the code to send though Serial Port that I am using. port.WritetextBox1.Text; If I enter 1000 in the text box, I see in the serial terminal program HEX values 31 30 30 30....
  7. date

date: How do I put date back on my taskbar at bottom of screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/date/8ee3eae5-bc2a-4082-bd50-9a5a195be215
  8. Word Displays Numbers and Dates Incorrectly

Word Displays Numbers and Dates Incorrectly: I just opened a Word documents created 3 months ago and the numbers in the table are not displaying properly. Some numbers display properly others are skewed. For example 2008 displays as some kind of weird character then 8 spaces then the number 8. On some new documents I...
  9. Windows 10: Date, Date Created and Date Modified

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: Date, Date Created and Date Modified: For what purpose is Date field in File Manager? It was default in my new laptop. I tried to find reason why file date was not changing even though I changed it. I had to contact IT support and they told that Date is wrong field. I couldn't imagine that Date field shows...
  10. Replace 'Date' with 'Date Modified'

in Windows 10 Support
    Replace 'Date' with 'Date Modified': I've been reasonably successful in replacing the default Date column with Date Modified in folders. But how do I do the same for Open, and 'Save as' browse dialogs please? Terry, East Grinstead, UK 106823