Windows 10: In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files?

Discus and support In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This problem has been giving me so much anxiety and has been on my mind a lot. My anxiety level has gotten to the point where I've even stopped... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NiceAndShy, Jul 5, 2017.

1. In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files?

This problem has been giving me so much anxiety and has been on my mind a lot.

My anxiety level has gotten to the point where I've even stopped installing 3rd party apps!

This is my problem:
    I'm worried that an app that's running is able to view and access the other files (like my documents) on my hard drive that are in a completely different folder on my hard drive and without my permission.

It just seems so easy for an app to do this?

Is it possible for me to "contain" an app and make it impossible for an app to be able to view or access the files on my hard drive like my documents?

Thank you for any advice!

:)

NiceAndShy, Jul 5, 2017
  2. lukepage Win User

please help, is my laptop in serious need of fixing?

I have been looking through the event viewer and am shocked to see so many warnings and errors, I don't know if this is normal or if my laptop is in dire need of taking somewhere to be fixed, I will list them all so please bare with me as I am not very smart
    when it comes to computers so I do need some clear help. so far today ive had about 8 of them :

1: event id 8303 scoping unsuccessful for shadowcopy L:
    \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy4 with error 0x81000207.

2: event id 98 source ntfs, Volume TI30992200A (\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowcopy4) requires an online scan, this wil automatically run as part of the next maintenance task or run chkdsk scan or run repair- volume <drive> scan.

3: event id 513 sourse CAPI2m, Cryptographic services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the system writer object

Details: AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft link- layer discovery protocol system error access is denied.

4: event id 36 source Volsnap the shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadowcopy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

5: event 1014 source Dns client events name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured dns servers responded.

please be as clear as you can me, I'm really worried that my laptop needs serious attention. thank you

lukepage, Jul 5, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    please help, is my laptop in serious need of fixing?

Actually, it's normal. At this moment I have hundreds of errors and warnings, yet my computer runs very well.

99.9% of these are simply Windows internal processing and have no real meaning. To give an analogy, it's like flushing your toilet and then getting a warning - "low water pressure in toilet tank." Duh, what did you expect?

If you have doubts, copy a message or two and put them into a web search. When you understand what they're saying, you'll see it's no big deal.

Don't be a PC hypochondriac. As long as you operate your computer in supported ways and keep it free from malware, you're doing fine.

BulldogXX, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files?

Eagle51, Jul 6, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    In all honesty, as I told you in another thread of yours, you should try to get help. I am saying this as a fellow geek concerned about your well being. It brings nothing good if, as it looks like, you can only think how software companies are going to or trying to access your personal data.

I hope you have someone you can talk with about your fears.

Kari, Jul 6, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Indeed - maybe computers are not for you? You might feel better sending letters - but who knows who is going to steam them open?

Steve C, Jul 6, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    After reading the many NiceAndShy posts over the months, I agree with @Kari. Some counseling/therapy here is definitely needed, not computer help.

NavyLCDR, Jul 6, 2017
  8. In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files?

Your concern is much appreciated!

However, I don't have any mental problems and I'm just deeply concerned with so many apps having so much inbuilt "cloud connectivity".

NiceAndShy, Jul 11, 2017
  9. Mystere Win User
    I suggest disabling your network connection. No. Seriously.

Mystere, Jul 11, 2017
  10. Your idea is much appreciated!

I've come across this "Sandboxie" app before and it seems really great.

Are there any other ways I can prevent a 3rd party app from accessing the files on the hard drive that the 3rd party app is installed on?

NiceAndShy, Jul 11, 2017
  11. I just want to make it clear that this is a genuine problem of mine I'm trying to solve.

NiceAndShy, Jul 11, 2017
  12. Sandboxie seems like a great app.

I'm researching Sandboxie now.

I'd love to hear more feedback about Sandboxie!

NiceAndShy, Jul 17, 2017
  13. In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files?

Other than using something like Sandboxie, are there other ways I can make sure that an app is unable to view other files on my hard drive?

NiceAndShy, Jul 17, 2017
  14. Mystere Win User
    You can encrypt the files. You can log in to a different user account and put the files in your user folder, and make sure you never run apps under that user account, or a user account with administrator privileges.

Mystere, Jul 17, 2017
  15. Wow, encrypting my files is a great idea!

NiceAndShy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files?

1. In Need of Serious Help: How To Stop Apps From Scanning My Files? - Similar Threads - Need Serious Help

2. Need a serious help. ASAP.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need a serious help. ASAP.: My windows 10 is currently experiencing various errors please this is serious and i have a project that i've been working on postponedi have a driver issues in my pc by the time my uncle gave it to me. it's intel core i5 4460, GT 730 and has 5gb of ram 4gb and 1 gb sticks...
  3. Need Serious Help: How to stop VLCPlayer from contacting the internet?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need Serious Help: How to stop VLCPlayer from contacting the internet?: Hi all, This has been a problem I've been trying to solve for a long time but I haven't had much luck... My goal is to prevent the VLC Player App from contacting the Internet. I know it's contacting the Internet because I just received a message that there's a new version...
  4. I seriously need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I seriously need help: OK, so today I found that there was a random .txt file on my desktop. When i opened it, it showed [1013/103251.495:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3) I was curious and searched it up, turns out that it could be...
  5. I seriously need help.

I seriously need help.: I installed Ubuntu onto my PC and now I can’t reinstall windows. I’ve been freaking out about this for hours. I’ve replaced my SSD, reset my BIOS, and looked up various videos for a fix. I’ve tried reinstalling windows, but every time I put my windows install/boot USB into my...
  6. [SERIOUS HELP NEEDED] Retrieve deleted files with folders

[SERIOUS HELP NEEDED] Retrieve deleted files with folders: Title. A day ago I accidentally deleted one massive folder (about 150 GBs) containing all my files that I need for work. Due to its size, Windows asked if I want to delete them permanently since the folder was too big for recycle bin. Accidentally I clicked yes and now I'm...
  7. NEED SERIOUS HELP

NEED SERIOUS HELP: [ATTACH] i was pressing delete button continuously while in the desktop and then suddenly i after sometime I saw that the "this pc" icon is gone with some other icons and shortcuts. I pressed ctrl+z multiple times and the icons and shortcuts came back but "this pc" didnt...
  8. Need Some Serious Help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need Some Serious Help: _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CONCLUSION _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Your system seems to be having difficulty handling...
  9. Serious Help Needed. Recovery needed.

in Windows 10 Support
    Serious Help Needed. Recovery needed.: A Senior MS Tech I was working with said he wanted to reinstall windows 10 version 1809 because after 4 MS updates, that is after the 4th MS update, MS Edge quits working and will not start. This is the fourth tech and the 2nd senior tech I have had to work with. The...
  10. SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered?

in Windows 10 Support
    SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered?: Hey everyone, I'm sorry to be creating a thread about this, but this is a super worrying problem for me. This is my problem: I want to backup all of my work files and personal files and ebook files which are in the format of .PDF files. I was going to use an external...