Windows 10: In-place upgrade really messed up my install

Discus and support In-place upgrade really messed up my install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can anyone help me with this mess? I performed the Windows 10 In-place upgrade and now my computer has lost basic functionality. First off, I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Blender99, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Blender99 Win User

In-place upgrade really messed up my install

Can anyone help me with this mess? I performed the Windows 10 In-place upgrade and now my computer has lost basic functionality.

First off, I tried the in-place upgrade because the Start Menu wasn't coming up. I was avoiding making a new profile in hopes that I could just repair my current user. Huge mistake.

I can connect to a WiFi network but I cannot open any pages in a browser. I can open powershell and ping out fine but opening any browser (Chrome, Edge, IE) won't load google.com or 192.168.1.1. Even clicking on the WiFi icon on the original user name doesn't work. I either have to switch over to a new user profile (where the internet is still broken), or if I'm in the logout screen I can click the bottom right and adjust which WiFi network to connect to.

I tried to forget the Network and did "netsh winsock reset" as an Admin but neither helped my issue. I also did sfc /scannow and fixed corrupted files. I've noticed if I go into the Windows troubleshooting it finds, "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer" and proceeds to "fix" it. It changes the status to "Fixed" but the internet still doesn't work. If I run the troubleshooter again I go through the same process. *Confused

Furthermore, I am unable to mount my external Seagate drive. It's a little tricky because it's a 2TB for Mac but it works fine with PCs if you install the Paragon software (which I did). Before the in-place upgrade the drive mounted fine. Also regular flash drives still connect fine. For whatever reason the Paragon driver/software isn't communicating properly with Windows 10 anymore.

I feel really stuck at this point. My Windows 10 is botched. I can't just make a new user profile and I can't backup my documents to my external hard drive. Anyone got ideas? Thanks for reading my wall of text. *Smile

:)

Blender99, Mar 23, 2016
  2. Jessen P Win User

So I really messed up my hard drive upgrade and now I am trying to return my system to the way it was.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you are right I would advise you to go ahead and flash the BIOS and check if it helps.

Warning: Be careful when changing BIOS settings. The BIOS interface is designed for advanced users, and it's possible to change a setting that could prevent your computer from
    starting correctly. Updating BIOS should only be done if necessary (to solve a compatibility problem, for example). It can be a complicated process, and if an error occurs, your computer could be rendered inoperable. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions
    exactly.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Mar 23, 2016
  3. So I really messed up my hard drive upgrade and now I am trying to return my system to the way it was.

The story behind this is a bit long but bear with me here:

So this all started about 2 days ago when I wanted to upgrade my 120GB SSD to a 256GB one. I had heard somewhere that you could clone a hard drive and not have to reinstall your programs so I figured I would give it a shot.

The first clone attempt was with macrium reflect and just gave a "can't boot" type error. The second attempt was with a data migration utility that came with the drive (Samsung SDM) it also was a failure. Now at this point I probably should have just called
    it quits and gone for a clean install, unfortunately I am not one to give up so easily.

I did some more digging and found out that there is a difference between a clone and a boot-able clone. The third attempt almost worked, I downloaded Clonezilla onto a USB and made a boot-able clone. Everything went off without a hitch windows booted into the
    new hard drive and all my files where there. There was just one problem. The cloned drive had kept the same partition size as the original and the boot partition was on the right side of the disk, in between the usable and unallocated space. Now this drive
    was working and I probably could have just left it where it was and made a new partition. But I really wanted to have just one partition so I tried to do some re-sizing.

I used EaseUS Partition Master to try and get everything working. I should have done things one at a time but I am impatient so I tried to do everything at once I resized the boot and the primary partition together. Windows was not happy with this and immediately
    threw a boot error.

After the third boot failure things started to really go wrong. I don't know if it was Clonezilla or the multiple failed windows boots but my computer started throwing post code errors on every other boot or so. The one I kept getting was 1 long 3 short which
    according to Asus (my motherboard manufacturer) indicates a display error. The display also started randomly loosing video signal in the middle of operation. I would be in the middle of something and it would black out and then the monitor would say "no video
    signal" while the machine was still running. I would then have to perform a force restart.

So I tried using Clonezilla again. According to Clonezilla the cloning was a success but when I actually tried booting I found that neither drive was working. I did manage to get the 256GB drive to boot in safe mode but it wasn't at all stable. I tried to repair
    the 120GB disk to get it to boot but I don't know enough about using CMD to repair disks and I couldn't get it to work.

So now I tried just doing a clean install on the 256GB SSD everything was working except I couldn't connect to my network I tried installing drivers, changing IP addresses, restarting my router, and a bunch of other suggested solutions I found online. Nothing
    was working so I did another clean install. Still not working, I assume it must be an OS issue since I have gone through about 20 different forum posts and none of the suggested solutions has worked. All the clean installs and clones up to this point have
    been done with windows 10 but I did have a windows 7 disk on hand so I tried installing that to see if it was an OS issue. Still couldn't connect. I tried connecting the Ethernet cable to my laptop to see if I could get a connection from there, I did. I then
    plugged it back in to my main computer and it just worked...

So now thinking that I have finally solved all the problems I try yet another windows 10 install. Everything seams to be working alright, I then installed my graphics driver and... it starts crashing every thirty seconds or so. I couldn't even log in long enough
    to uninstall it. This brings us to the final clean install. The machine currently is running windows 10 a slightly older version of Nvidias drivers and a few basic programs (chrome, skype, extra). It is in no way stable; the system will freeze up; the display
    driver will crash (although less frequently now); the monitor will sometimes loose signal and not come back on while the rest of the machine is still running; it sometimes just restarts without warning; and It seams to throw a boot error every couple of boots
    and I can't figure out why.

So basically I tried to upgrade my hard drive and I skrewed it up... I tried to clone the drive 4 times--all unsuccessfully--I have tried clean installing 5-6 times. My machine will no longer run stably, the display will sometimes just looses signal, and the
    machine randomly restarts.

I have come to the realization that I have likely killed my new drive. Now I just want to try and return the machine to the state it was in before I tried to upgrade my hard drive. The old drive will not boot but the data hasn't been wiped and I was smart enough
    to back it up to a different computer before I started.

If I could get this drive to boot that would be ideal because I'm a little scared of clean installs now. The boot process seams to be working but it is a bit finicky I figure I may have to flash the bios. I am hoping that this hole ordeal hasn't killed any
    other components.

Any advice would be nice.

System specs:

CPU: Intel core i7 4770k

MotherBoard: Asus z97a

Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4gb

RAM: 16GB Kingston hyperX 1600Mhz

PSU: XFX 650 watt

Hard drive (old): PNY CS1100 120GB

Hard drive (new): Samsung 850 evo 256GB

MaskedMonkeyMan, Mar 23, 2016
  4. In-place upgrade really messed up my install

Hi,
    There might be a roll back option present in settings>update and security>recovery.Check if that helps.

Sumit Dhiman, Mar 23, 2016
  5. Blender99 Win User
    I'm trying to roll back to a previous build now. Thank you.

Blender99, Mar 23, 2016
  6. Blender99 Win User
    Thanks that did help. My internet now works again. I'm thinking I might be able to create a new profile and work myself out of this corrupted profile. You're my hero. *Party

Blender99, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

In-place upgrade really messed up my install

1. In-place upgrade really messed up my install - Similar Threads - place upgrade really

2. I really messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I really messed up: So about a week ago my built in display was not working. So I had to delete my display adapters in device manager and reinstall them. It made my built in display work but I couldn't use external monitor, so I downloaded the Nvidia rtx3060 drivers for laptop and it made my 2nd...
  3. I really messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I really messed up: So about a week ago my built in display was not working. So I had to delete my display adapters in device manager and reinstall them. It made my built in display work but I couldn't use external monitor, so I downloaded the Nvidia rtx3060 drivers for laptop and it made my 2nd...
  4. Upgrade to Win 11 has really messed me up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to Win 11 has really messed me up.: I am so disappointed after having upgraded to Windows 11.. The upgrade has only made by life miserable. I thought Win 11 would just make improvements over what I had with Win 10. Instead, Win 11 took away many of the necessary and important features and configurations that I...
  5. Upgrade to Win 11 has really messed me up.

Upgrade to Win 11 has really messed me up.: I am so disappointed after having upgraded to Windows 11.. The upgrade has only made by life miserable. I thought Win 11 would just make improvements over what I had with Win 10. Instead, Win 11 took away many of the necessary and important features and configurations that I...
  6. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Really messed up user accounts: My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. I was trying to create an additional user account and somehow messed up my main account. It appears that instead of creating a new account I told it to log into my windows account with a local account instead of my Microsoft account. What...
  7. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really messed up user accounts: My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. I was trying to create an additional user account and somehow messed up my main account. It appears that instead of creating a new account I told it to log into my windows account with a local account instead of my Microsoft account. What...
  8. Really messed up user accounts

9. It is really a mess

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    It is really a mess: Hi. I tried to clone my hdd to my ssd and the screen went black on my laptop. Now I have no ssd or hdd listed in the bios. What does that mean? I have a Acer Aspire E17. Is it broken? Any help will be appreciated. 97400
  10. I really messed up

in Windows 10 Support
    I really messed up: Sorry that this is long and not that well worded I really messed up. So from the beginning. I bought a pc from one of my friends on Friday. (Specs: cpu: Intel i7 4790, gpu: nvidia geforce gtx 970, motherboard: gigabyte z97 hd3, and Windows 10 home, originally...