Windows 10: In Place Upgrade (What will it fix and what it wont)

Discus and support In Place Upgrade (What will it fix and what it wont) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am facing a corrupted user profile which does not allow me to open any of the Windows Icons in my task bar (Start menu, notifications,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Supertaquito, Mar 3, 2016.

1. In Place Upgrade (What will it fix and what it wont)

Hello,

I am facing a corrupted user profile which does not allow me to open any of the Windows Icons in my task bar (Start menu, notifications, volume, network do not response to left click) Microsoft Edge even disappeared from the task bar when I clicked on it.

I am told one of the fixes is to create a new user profile, but I cannot afford to reinstall and reconfigure all the software in it. I was also told that an In Place Upgrade may help to fix Windows 10 issues, however I have not confirmed if the In Place upgrade (To keep all my files, programs and folders just like I did the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10) would also fix my user profile and leave all of my files intact.

Could someone confirm this please? It is much easier to wait for 2 or 3 hours for the reinstall, than spending days reconfiguring the programs

:)

Supertaquito, Mar 3, 2016
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Mar 3, 2016
  3. eshiejamz Win User
    eshiejamz, Mar 3, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

In Place Upgrade (What will it fix and what it wont)

Hi Supertaquito,

I think you might have a couple of options available to you.

To your question, have a look at the below links and see if there's anything that helps.

How to Refresh Windows 10
    How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

b1rd, Mar 3, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I suggest going ahead and trying a new account and see if the problem follows or goes away. If it goes away you can try copying everything from the old to the new account then test again. If all is well then delete the old account.

See here: Fix a corrupted user profile

Ztruker, Mar 4, 2016
  6. The problem goes away, this is not present in the other account, however, Installed programs cannot be copied and must be reinstalled. I cant afford that right now.

Supertaquito, Mar 4, 2016
  7. Porthos Win User
    Installed programs are available in all user accounts.

Porthos, Mar 4, 2016
  8. In Place Upgrade (What will it fix and what it wont)

Just to confirm doing the upgrade did work after the first restart, i got my functionality back.

Supertaquito, Mar 4, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    That depends - some programs are installed for all users (majority), some for just the user, and some you can choose.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

In Place Upgrade (What will it fix and what it wont)

1. In Place Upgrade (What will it fix and what it wont) - Similar Threads - Place Upgrade fix

2. in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    in-place upgrade: in-place upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-place-upgrade/ba32d89f-3c2a-40a0-bbfa-ceb62204675e
  3. What is this and how to fix it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is this and how to fix it: This pop up keeps telling me that i don't have internet access when i do, and it keeps popping up. I am not sure how to get rid of it. It ask me sign in then tells me that I need to be connected to the internet to do that. Super annoying....
  4. What is this and how to fix it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is this and how to fix it: This pop up keeps telling me that i don't have internet access when i do, and it keeps popping up. I am not sure how to get rid of it. It ask me sign in then tells me that I need to be connected to the internet to do that. Super annoying....
  5. In-Place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In-Place Upgrade: Hi Paul. Understood your In-place process. But what if I have multiple accounts on my PC Admin, my kids, and my wife...etc would I lose any of those accounts if I did this procedure? Do I need to be worried about any loss of any personal data/info/files on my computer?Sam...
  6. what is this and how to fix it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what is this and how to fix it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Rage_Dash [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i3ylcw/what_is_this_and_how_to_fix_it/
  7. What is the quality of upgrade I can expect from an in place upgrade?

What is the quality of upgrade I can expect from an in place upgrade?: I know the question is a little vague in the title but Im not sure how to ask the question in short any other way. Unabridged: I am a firm believer that a fresh install is the best and cleanest way to go, and typically I like to do a clean install once a year... Ive gone...
  8. What to upgrade 1st?

What to upgrade 1st?: I have just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad E570 and want to upgrade. It has a 500g HDD and 4 g memory, so what to upgrade 1st, HDD to SSD or memory. I also intend to install an M.2 SSD for Fedora, but that's later. 124605
  9. What is the place on windows startup lock screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the place on windows startup lock screen: Does anybody know what is the place on windows startup lock screen? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-place-on-windows-startup-lock-screen/244ac870-e3dc-4eb6-8515-729d963c5b37
  10. After upgrading what if!!

After upgrading what if!!: Short question is, how do I get my windows 10 product key so I can do a fresh install from a new HDD? Long question. After upgrading from windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 pro. I'm told all I need to do is to create a media ISO & burn to DVD by downloading the ISO using the...