Windows 10: In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work

Discus and support In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, Win 10 Pro x64 1709 16299.19 Not sure whether this is the place to report this.. Many of the links in the Admin right click Start Menu do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ozstar, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ozstar Win User

In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work

Hi,

Win 10 Pro x64 1709 16299.19

Not sure whether this is the place to report this..

Many of the links in the Admin right click Start Menu do not work. This was not always the case but a while back (before 1709) it just stopped.

Ones that don't work are..

Event Viewer, Device Manager, Disk Management, Computer Management, Command Prompt, Command Prompt Admin, File Explorer the rest do.

Any ideas please?

oz

:)

ozstar, Nov 8, 2017

2. Windows 10 Start Button items on right click issue

It isn't really relevant, my control panel works as well as other MS admin and utilities, they just don't launch from the start button menu that comes up with a right click.

If I use the app menu (left click on start button), and click on File Explorer and click the control panel it opens fine.

It just acts like the hot links in the right click menu have been broken or disabled. Is there someplace to go into and edit the right click menu?

BillCrwfrd, Nov 8, 2017
  3. In start menu some system links doesn't work (for example "Programs and Features")

I had this problem on Windows 8.1 before the upgrade, but I thought it might be solved after I upgraded to Windows 10.

So when I open Start menu and type "Programs and Features" I can see the shortcut:

In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work [​IMG]

But I can't click it neither with right click nor left click.

On Windows 8.1 when I tried to do the same I had an error, but I don't remember the message.

Dmitry Sherstoboev, Nov 8, 2017
  4. In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work

Have you run any privacy related tools or disabled some services?

"Distributed Link Tracking Client" service is usually responsible for links.

Try to run those (I guess you have already run: sfc /scannow):
    Code: fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c: chkdsk /scan[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Nov 8, 2017
  5. ozstar Win User
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have done sfc /scannow and the 3 disms but not what you have suggested. I will do them now and get back.,

ozstar, Nov 8, 2017
  6. You might also try to set the service to auto, start it and then restart a bit later.
    Code: sc config TrkWks start= auto net start TrkWks[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Nov 8, 2017
  7. ozstar Win User
    Okay did both of those and this is the result. I will now reboot.

ozstar, Nov 8, 2017
  8. ozstar Win User

Unfortunately it didn't change the links not opening on that menu.

I alos noticed that when I chose Troubleshooting, I got a panel saying there was a problem preventinmg the troubleshooter from starting.

Windows Update Diagnostic. Source: Engine Error 0x800706BA

ozstar, Nov 8, 2017
  9. ozstar Win User
    Thanks.. Did that, but it did not change unfortunately.
    Still unable to open links.
    Appreciate the help.
    oz

ozstar, Nov 8, 2017
  10. Some required service is not running or the registry is corrupted.

Try to run this as admin: [Batch] Windows Insider Quick Fix

If the troubleshooter does not work after restart, try: [Batch] Windows Cleanup

And if that does not help, then I guess only the repair upgrade might be able to help.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials

TairikuOkami, Nov 9, 2017
  11. ozstar Win User
    Hi,

Ran the batch files and here are the results.. Only error in these shots.

Will do the Clean now

ozstar, Nov 9, 2017
  12. ozstar Win User
    Did Clean bat but still no joy. Ten Troubleshhoter panel says.. Detecting problems....... then it gives the error as above.

I have run the 'In Place' (keeping all data) just before I mentioned it here on the forum.

Should I do it again?

ozstar, Nov 9, 2017
  13. ozstar Win User

I have read on the forums that this has helped.. would it be wise for me to try ti?
    Nirsoft ShellExView!

ozstar, Nov 10, 2017
  14. Sure, you could hide all Microsoft extensions and disable the rest to see, if it helps.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work - Similar Threads - Right click Admin

2. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  3. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  4. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PowerShell(Admin) -right click start menu edit

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell(Admin) -right click start menu edit: Right click on either PowerShell shortcut in the Win10 20H2 start menu and both are user not the System32 for the (Admin). I couldn't find where these start menu right click shortcuts are stored so I have used the tutorial registry script merge to have the admin cmd on the...
  6. Start Menu - Right-Click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Right-Click: Hello,In the "Start Menu" there are two types of icons - one is a square with a folder icon on it, the other is a square with the program's icon.Now 'folder icons' have no right-click sub-menu, the others with a program icon have a right-click sub-menu.In the sub-items of a...
  7. Right click Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click Start Menu: Last few insider builds (not necessarily because of it) Most of items in Start menu's just don't do anything. Command prompt/, Disk management, Device manager, Task manager etc. Other shortcuts for them work, each one when started from anywhere else works. I made links for...
  8. Right click start button - some links do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click start button - some links do not work: Hi Guys, Another issue I see (on a different Win10 machine) is when i right click the start menu the links that are pointed out in red do not work. all other links work fine. It seems the shortcuts are broken but i looked in the user folders and they are all there....
  9. Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working: Hi all. This is my first post. Using win 10. The Issue i'm having is that when I right click on the Windows Start Icon, I get a list of menu items: Apps features power options event viewer * system, device manager* network connections disk management* computer...
  10. Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin: I'm fully up to date on W10 x64 and have just noticed that I can no longer (as in, I could a few days ago) right click on certain apps to run as admin. I can't even use the 'menu' keyboard button to open the right click menu either, this does nothing. I *can* do so on...