Windows 10: Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved

Discus and support Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Inaccessible Boot Drive after Update? Solved - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums Mine Started there in that forum - and I was not Original OP so I agree -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by viperiii, Jan 21, 2018.

1. viperiii Win User

Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved

Inaccessible Boot Drive after Update? Solved - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums

Mine Started there in that forum - and I was not Original OP so I agree - should have created a new thread as I was working through it..

Systems I encountered error on
    Dell T5500 precision workstation
    dual Xeon CPU ~2010 original purchase
    these have been upgraded only with better video AMD W5000 (not much better though)
    as well as SSD 250g SATA (Samsung EVO 840 (i think red one might be 830) in primary boot and 140g 10k SATA WD Raptor on Secondary... really not needed but figured just to show what is in them.

AV - vipre endpoint security - verified compatible with MS updates and correct reg flag was in place before any of these issue.
    only thing I did notice was the agent version was on 10.0.6290 and now all other working systems are on 10.0.7233
    Coincidence?? hummmm

system only reboots on Wednesdays/Thursdays unless acting up then manually reboot - but generally rarely needs a reboot. (this is my workstation for the office so its always on and locked and ready for me to do anything remotely.

last week noticed it wasn't coming back online in am hours like it should have been...
    all after release of intel patches from MS... and being windows 10... wonderful - can't exactly stop the updates.

so it had to be an update from 10th > 18th I figured - as those would have been the ranges it would have rebooted on...
    (so it might be a Thursday - don't really care - wed / thurs reboots - don't care to check the schedule /script as it is barely related.)

initially read through this older article from October and didn't see any pending updates... so they were all installed...
    How to fix October 10 update causing 'Inaccessible Boot Device' error in Windows 10 | Windows Central

first attempts no change - as well as rebuilding bcd - no real change
    then just did a restore to ~Jan 10th and restore worked and was back up and running - thought i was good as I also stopped future updates.... - nope... no good after reboot for some other updates apparently or power loss - but system is on ups so not sure why it rebooted over the weekend... something else!

However after trying some of the bootrec /fixboot commands and failing to get the system operational again - this morning..

booting to window 10 install disk and using repair got back into advanced troubleshooting and CMD prompt.

then started using the dism to remove updates manually as I am 80% sure the drives are not failing
    this is also evident from a second ~identical system also having the same issue - restore to previous update also worked but will have to see if i need to remove the same updates on that one as well soon - that on is my plex server so can't be having that one offline!

trick for me was knowing which drive had windows installed on it during windows pe ... c: was not the correct drive
    but didn't try c: - instead command was

dism /image:f:\ /get-packages
    dism / image:f:\ /remove-package /packagename:IDENTITY NAME /scratchdir:f:\temp\packages

slightly modified from original which was using C: - but working now at least temporarily...

anyway the fix for me was removing 3 updates..

first one -

KB4056887~.........10.0.1.0
    1/15/18 1pm

Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved [​IMG]

rebooted - no change... not fixed.

next removed two more

KB4058702......16299.188.1.0
    1/11/2018 1:03pm

and

package_for_rollupfix....16.299.192.1.9
    1/11/2018 4:51pm

then rebooted...
    initially showed error (like repair needed / not sure hit ok) but then booted correctly into windows after that and now working again...

Still not 100% sure - as updates are/were paused, and now i am unable to pause them again.

Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved [​IMG]

so it might become unbootable shortly again anyway if the updates get re-installed... oh well...

:)

viperiii, Jan 21, 2018

2. Keep getting Inaccessible Boot Device when restarting computer windows 10

You have to remove packages using DISM to fix this. Here is a thread:

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/10291...

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 21, 2018
  3. PeteA_Aus Win User
    Windows 10 Home 64 Inaccessible Boot Device after update

I saw this when I was doing my reading but given that this is a fix for an October 2017 update issue for business users I figured it wouldn't be too relevant for my January 2018 update, home user issue. I'll give it a shot (worst case there's nothing marked
    "install pending", right?) but if you know it's definitely a different issue I'd appreciate feedback (especially given that I've seen a bunch of other users having inaccessible boot device issues with the Meltdown/Spectre update from January).

Cheers,

Pete

PeteA_Aus, Jan 21, 2018
  4. Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved

Caledon Ken, Jan 21, 2018
  5. Azucho98 Win User
    I have had the Inaccessible boot device error twice now on the same machine. The first time I re-installed W10 on a different HDD, the second time I used the same HDD to get it up and running again.

This problem certainly seems tied to a recent update - I hope Microsoft is working on fixing this....so annoying to have a random problem like this.

Azucho98, Jan 26, 2018
  6. Here's what I have found.
    You can get at least one single normal boot by following the viperiii's procedure. My system only booted once. during that boot,
    the last half of the update that caused the problem, continued to install, but the system booted. But only once.
    I suggest that you use the DISM with the revert pending updates before you remove the installed packages.
    Here's the steps:

Boot from a USB or DVD recovery disk from the same version of windows 10
    select repair my PC
    in troubleshooting select command prompt.
    once in command prompt: (where X is the drive letter where windows is installed. (check because it might be d: or e: even though after windows boots, it will become c*Smile
    dism.exe /image:X:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
    (this step is necessary because if you do not and are getting the error Inaccessible boot device, once you get it to boot, the remainder of the patch that caused the problem will replace 40 or so drivers in the \windows\system32\drivers folder. And you will not be able to boot again.)
    now execute the following command (replacing X with the drive where windows is installed)
    dism /image:X:\ /get-packages
    make note of the most recent updated package.
    using DISM remove the most update.
    type the following: (replacing X with the drive where windows is installed)
    md X:\temp
    md X:\temp\packages
    Don't worry if the directory exists.
    dism /image:X:\ /remove-package /packagenameInaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved :pACKAGE TO REMOVE scratchdir:X:\temp\packages

[example: dism /image:e:\ /remove-package /packagename*Tongueackage_for_kb4056887~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.0 /scratchdir:e:\temp\packages
    ]

reboot

(you may have to do another startup repair, but the system should boot)
    If not you may have to remove more packages.

Once booted, remember you may not be able to boot again.
    (at least I wasn't. Trying the procedure again did not produce a bootable machine).

Note: System reset works, but you lose all your programs and configurations)
    My next step is to try doing a repair install from within windows.
    More to come...

thewizardofahhs, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved

1. Inaccessible-boot-device after January 2018 Updates - Partially Solved - Similar Threads - Inaccessible boot device

2. Inaccessible Boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inaccessible Boot device: I went to restart my laptop and it did but then said “ Your device has Run into a problem” and the reason is like Inaccessible boot device and I’ve tried everything but command prompt because it will not accept my password.I even reset it and still it will not work please...
  3. Inaccessible boot device after migration

Inaccessible boot device after migration: Inaccessible boot device after migration, actually the migration process is not complete and this error displayed, please help me how to figure this out without losing my files from hdd...
  4. "Inaccessible boot device" BSOD after October update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Inaccessible boot device" BSOD after October update: I would consider myself a somewhat experienced PC user but don't know how to get this fixed. Hope there is an expert here who can help. I shut down my PC Win 10 64bit. It's a build 1809, I believe three days ago - Windows insisted on installing updates before shutdown....
  5. Win10 BSOD After Updates - Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 BSOD After Updates - Inaccessible Boot Device: Win10 Pro HW: Gigabyte Z5 MB, Gefore1070, EVO500 SSD Machine has been running finre for a long time. So my machine updated some stuff on the 5th sometime after midnight. Win10 Window logo comes up, white dots rotate for a bit, then BSOD: Inaccessible boot device. Safe Mode...
  6. Inaccessible Boot Device Error After BIOS Update

Inaccessible Boot Device Error After BIOS Update: Hello, My computer keeps giving me an error saying “ inaccessible boot device” whenever I start my computer. It started after updating my MSI Z370-A Pro motherboard’s bios. I have no idea what to do. Specs: I5-8400 1 tb HDD GTX 1060 16 gb of ram please help!!...
  7. BSOD: Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update

BSOD: Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update: Currently running a dual-boot system on a Lenovo Yoga 730 with manjaro and windows 10. Upon restarting and allowing Windows Update to upgrade to the May 2019 update, I get a stop error with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Initially, GRUB menu wouldn't appear, but has now appears...
  8. Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update

Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update: Currently running a dual-boot system on a Lenovo Yoga 730 with manjaro and windows 10. Upon restarting and allowing Windows Update to upgrade to the May 2019 update, I get a stop error with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Initially, GRUB menu wouldn't appear, but has now appears...
  9. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after Win10 Update

INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after Win10 Update: Specs: Intel i7 4770k GTX 1070 Win 10 Pro msi z87 g45 Windows installed in december on a new SSD Also have 1 storage SSD and 4 HDD in two different raid. All formatted in December after having issues unrelated to current issue. Windows installed fresh on the new...
  10. Not receiving January 2018 updates.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Not receiving January 2018 updates.: I didn't get any January updates. I have intel and don't use a 3rd party av. I see that registry entry has been added. But how come I have received no updates at all for january? I feel something is wrong. I did receive an update for my bios, and did receive adobe flash...