Windows 10: Inaccessible Boot Device Recovery Options

Discus and support Inaccessible Boot Device Recovery Options in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I recently powered my machine down before hitting the power on my main fuse box to carry out some electrical work. I think I may have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by spacebiscuit75, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Inaccessible Boot Device Recovery Options

Hi Everyone,

I recently powered my machine down before hitting the power on my main fuse box to carry out some electrical work. I think I may have hit the power whilst an update was in progress. As a result when I try to boot now I am getting BSOD with "inaccessible boot device".

I have read numerous tutorials and the only thing I could get to work was to copy the contents of RegBack to Config - then I was able to reboot. All has been fine for a week however I then rebooted my machine and the problem re-occurred and now the previous fix doesn't work (presumably because the regback files have been updated with newer dirty files).

So I've now tried all option in the recovery console and none work, chk disk reported no errors and I just have the MBR fix left to try.

Is it possible to -reinstall on a new hard drive and then copy something over to the old broken install to fix this boot issue?

If this fails I think I will need to re-install. My question is how can I re-install and not delete/over-write my previous data. I saw some people report that there old install was copied to Windows.OLD. If I could then copy the required file and folders acorss then I can live with this.

Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Bob.

:)

spacebiscuit75, Jan 18, 2018

2. How do I revert back to 8.1 from 10?

Go to action center and backup and recovery and the option is there to revert

I cant tell correctly beacause while i was reseting win 10 factory settings my pc failed and came with the error inaccessible Boot device and was rebooting again and again

rizwan 773, Jan 18, 2018
  3. Jane Lla Win User
    Inaccessible boot device + broken recovery tool

Hello Tyler,

Confirm if you're using SSD along with an HDD? If you are using an SSD with HDD, the chances are that the PC has started looking for the bootable operating system in the HDD.

Disconnecting the HDD from your computer and then resetting the PC externally may resolve the issue.

After Windows 10 boots normally, you can reconnect your HDD to the computer.

If you have any other storage devices plugged into the computer like an External HDD or a USB stick; unplug them because Windows could be trying to boot off them.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jane Lla, Jan 18, 2018
  4. Inaccessible Boot Device Recovery Options

Hi Bob. Welcome to the TenForums @spacebiscuit75

I don't know of a way to create a second system and then copy the good stuff. (Not even sure what you would copy.) Another member may have a better approach.

We can create a boot disk and use that to copy off your personal data to an external target. Then perform a clean install.

You can create Kyhi's recovery disk at this link.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

use it to copy data.

Then follow the clean install tutorial here. Since you had 10 on device it will be activated and you do not need to enter a product key.

Clean Install Windows 10

Your system spec tells us little about your system. If you could take a moment to update.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 18, 2018
  5. Thanks for the reply - in the end I went for the reset option in the recovery console. I was concerned that some of my data may have been lost (despite the claim that none would be lost) since I have a 10+ years of saved email in my Windows Live Mail folder totaling over 6gb so I spent some time making my own backups. I was impressed to see that the old Windows directory remains so that I can access this for any program data (such as my Filezilla xml with my saved FTP logins etc).

My system was probably just about due a re-install anyway so it's good to have a clean system with just the programs I use.

Regards,

Bob.

spacebiscuit75, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Inaccessible Boot Device Recovery Options

1. Inaccessible Boot Device Recovery Options - Similar Threads - Inaccessible Boot Device

2. Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccessible Boot Device: Morning/Afternoon to everyone,I have just build my new pc and installed the drivers and windows 10. Then i had to restart it for the the updates to be applied. However, while restarting on loading a blue screen came up with the following message “Inaccessible Boot Device”....
  3. inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    inaccessible boot device: I cannot boot win10. I get the message 'inaccessible boot device'. I have tried recovery, repair, backing off last update and still get the error. I can boot the system off of a mirror of the drive so have ruled out the hardware other than the original SSD. The recovery...
  4. Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inaccessible boot device: I am currently getting inaccessible boot device in normal boot and safe boot together and im so sad that i cant open the laptop , im going to share with you all how the problem began , i hope someone can fix it for me1 - I formated the laptop System drive via cloud reinstall...
  5. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE: Hey so I recently ordered an acre aspire 5 labtop from Amazon that was renewed and when I got it the security seal was ripped. Didn’t think much from it until I opened it and started using it for a little bit. I started to notice that the computer was really out of date and...
  6. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE: Hi, so I have been cleaning up my PC, deleting temp files. After that, I restarted my PC, and I was met with inaccessible boot device BSOD. I have tried...
  7. Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inaccessible Boot Device: I recently restarted my computer only to get the BSoD error "Inaccessible boot device" which put my computer in a restart loop. I did a few things and was unsuccessful in fixing the error so I did a system restore and managed to get back in. Anything I can do to properly fix...
  8. Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Support
    Inaccessible Boot Device: I fired up my PC yesterday morning and was welcomed by the dreaded BSOD. It told me that it had run into a problem caused by an inaccessible boot device. There are numerous help sites on the web that explain how to deal with this issue. I tried every one of them bar one and...
  9. Inaccessible Boot Device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inaccessible Boot Device: Hello there!!! So, recently I put a new SSD on my laptop and I have kept the old HDD one as an external drive. The SSD has Xubuntu and the HDD Windows 10 and Lite (tried to dualboot it some time ago). When I connect the old HDD I the laptop and have the Boot Manager start...
  10. inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    inaccessible boot device: Hello, My computer HP probook 6470b is stuck on a blue screen "inaccessible boot device" when I try to boot it. It happened after installing the new windows update. Unfortunately using a restoring point doesn't work... If you are wondering, my HD SSD is working well, I...