Windows 10: Inaccurate C: drive capacity reading/Unable delete winold folders

Discus and support Inaccurate C: drive capacity reading/Unable delete winold folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; FYI, A clean System Volume Information folder should only contains 2 files (20KB). If you have Macrium installed, a third file $MRCBT is also created... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018.

1. topgundcp Win User

Inaccurate C: drive capacity reading/Unable delete winold folders

FYI,
    A clean System Volume Information folder should only contains 2 files (20KB). If you have Macrium installed, a third file $MRCBT is also created (7MB).
    $MRCBT ( To reduce the amount of time it takes to perform incremental and differential imagesby monitoring the changes to an NTFS formatted volume in real-time).
    Besides the System Restore points, SVI also stores other junk files, For example, when you run chkdsk, the result will also be stored there.

Inaccurate C: drive capacity reading/Unable delete winold folders [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
  2. tosalet Win User

I have 2 problems which may or may not be connected.1. Following the Fall Creator 'upgrade' the 'Windows10' C: drive shows red with '5.67GB free of 97.2GB'. I have completed a disk cleanup of system files and the total of all files actually existing in all folders showing on C: using WinDirStat is 49.2GB.2. Despite completing system disk cleanup the 'windowsold' folder still exists. All files were deleted but 245 folders remain and cannot be deleted despite apparently having permissions set.The 245 remaining folders in 'windowsold' are WINDOWS/Software Distribution/Download/ and a random number code . . . . etc.Any assistance would be much appreciated.

:)

tosalet, Apr 22, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Need to free up storage

Hi Tina, you can safely use Disk Cleanup.

Disk Cleanup will only suggest and delete files and folders that are safe to delete!

In each of the 2 runs of Disk Cleanup, check the boxes on everything in the list(s) and then click Delete to free up as much space as possible . . .

To find out the size of your hard drive:

Open File Explorer (folder on your Taskbar)

On the left click 'This PC'

On the right hand side, right click your hard drive and choose Prooperties

In the resulting dialog, you will see 3 numbers, the bottom one is capacity

What does capacity read in GB

DaveM121, Apr 22, 2018
  4. John Ado Win User

drives missing

Hi Ayashkant,

Can we have the information of your drives capacity? Since your device was formatted, it's a possibility that your partitions have been deleted. Those deleted capacity should be added automatically to your C drive.

We look forward to your response.

John Ado, Apr 22, 2018
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Step 1: Run disk cleanup a different way to see if it makes any difference. Open an Administrator Command window, and copy/paste this command, press ENTER. Check off all boxes and let it run to completion (you may see flashing command windows in the task bar, just let it finish). Then check your space. Windows.old we'll get to later.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

f14tomcat, Apr 22, 2018
  6. tosalet Win User
    Many thanks for the info, sadly there was no change after 2 attempts including reboot . . .

tosalet, Apr 23, 2018
  7. cereberus Win User
    Easiest option is to boot from a live linux drive or winpe drive (eg Macrium Reflect Rescue drive) and delete it from there.

cereberus, Apr 23, 2018
  8. tosalet Win User

Many thanks for the linux drive option which was partially successful in that 'windowsold' has been removed but the C: drive icon under 'devices' still shows red with 4.25GB free of 97.2GB and actual files existing total is 51.0GB

tosalet, Apr 23, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    To eliminate the possibility that lost clusters are occupying the rest of the used space you should run Chkdsk.

Open a command prompt (Admin) and type CHKDSK C: /F
    When it says...
    ...type Y then restart the PC. A disk check will run at boot. Any lost clusters will be turned into files that can then be deleted.

If there is still a lot of space 'missing' after that, what does WinDirStat say for the size of 'System Volume Information'? You may need to run it as administrator for it to be able to see the true size.

10. tosalet Win User
    Still the same, I'm afraid:

tosalet, Apr 23, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    I do not see 'System Volume Information' in your screenshot. This is a hidden folder on the root of every drive, you'll need to show hidden files (and perhaps System files) in order to see it.

System Volume Information is where restore points are kept, so can grow to many GB if left to its own devices. This tutorial tells you how to see the space currently being used for restore points, and how to limit the space it's allowed to use.

Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10

12. tosalet Win User
    The System Volume info is shown highlighted - and empty!

tosalet, Apr 23, 2018
  13. tosalet Win User

I actually deleted all restore points except a new one before starting this thread.

tosalet, Apr 23, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    WinDirStat does not show the full picture. TreeSize Free shows everything.
    https://portableapps.com/apps/utilit...-free-portable

Here they are, side by side, looking at the same C: drive. In particular, look at System Volume Information, highlighted in both. WinDirStat says it's empty, TreeSize shows the files and folders it contains.

15. tosalet Win User
    Aha! Secret stuff, thank you! Success at last. So my last question is; can I safely delete the biggies?

tosalet, Apr 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Inaccurate C: drive capacity reading/Unable delete winold folders - Similar Threads - Inaccurate drive capacity

2. reduction of C drive capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reduction of C drive capacity: Ηello.I use the last month O&O defrag 27.I have noticed that the diskssd C drive capacity fluctuates.normally is about 280 gb.I noticed that one day was reduced to 250 GB for example.the next day increased several GB.For example the capacity became 270 GB...
  3. reduction of C drive capacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reduction of C drive capacity: Ηello.I use the last month O&O defrag 27.I have noticed that the diskssd C drive capacity fluctuates.normally is about 280 gb.I noticed that one day was reduced to 250 GB for example.the next day increased several GB.For example the capacity became 270 GB...
  4. the available capacity of the C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    the available capacity of the C drive: I use the latest windows 10 21h2. My computer is only for storing slide images and docx files. before my C drive was 50 out of 99.9gb empty and now it's only 48/98.7 gb. Can i ask why i lost 1.2gb of available even though i didnt save anything new? Is my hard drive has...
  5. the available capacity of the C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the available capacity of the C drive: I use the latest windows 10 21h2. My computer is only for storing slide images and docx files. before my C drive was 50 out of 99.9gb empty and now it's only 48/98.7 gb. Can i ask why i lost 1.2gb of available even though i didnt save anything new? Is my hard drive has...
  6. the available capacity of the C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Very small C drive capacity

Very small C drive capacity: Good afternoon, I have an issue I am constantly fighting with and need some help. I have a small 8” tablet from Lenovo that has an internal drive 0/C that is only 32GB nonupgradeable. In addition to this drive, I have installed a 128GB SDXC card to act as my drive 1/D....
  8. Increasing C drive capacity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increasing C drive capacity: I have a 1 Tb capacity divided into C and D drives. The C drive keeps reaching capacity but the D drive has 500 Gb of free space. How do I increase the size of the C drive so that it can use some of the unused D drive capacity....
  9. C Drive Capacity - Question

C Drive Capacity - Question: C Drive Capacity - Please see screenshot 24. I am trying to determine the current capacity of my C drive. Looking at my C drive in two different locations gives me different numbers. Why is that? Thanks, Jerry [ATTACH]...
  10. Manually created folders on C drive are read-only

in Windows 10 Support
    Manually created folders on C drive are read-only: I was just creating a folder on my C drive (SSD) when I noticed that the attribute is set to read-only. I've tried clearing the attribute many ways using the link below but to no avail. Right-clicking on the folder does not show the option to Take Ownership. Does anyone know...