Windows 10: Inacessible Boot Drive

Discus and support Inacessible Boot Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After windows 10 installed a new update samsung magician said rapid mode was incompatible or something and to uninstall and then reinstall it. So I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mkmossop, May 22, 2017.

1. mkmossop Win User

Inacessible Boot Drive

After windows 10 installed a new update samsung magician said rapid mode was incompatible or something and to uninstall and then reinstall it. So I did and now I get the message INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE.

Ive tried a few things such as starting the computer in safe mode, removing my hdd, and system restore... none of which have worked.

Someone on another forum suggested booting from windows installation media. I did that and have tried system restore, system image recovery, and startup repair. Also tried chkdsk /f in command prompt. Nothing so far.

The furthest I got was in system restore however after selecting windows 10 I get the message "No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. To create a restore point open system protection". I click system protection and it says "System protection is available only in online operating system" lol. Is there any way to make my computer an online operating system?

Are there any other solutions or am I gonna have to reinstall windows? If so is there any way to keep my current windows files and settings?

:)

mkmossop, May 22, 2017

2. hca

downloaded 10 / now inacessible boot device/ removed hard drive and places in another computer/ report was that their is no data on the hard drive/ can I down load to usb and then transfer to hard drive from another computer?

cheyennearcher, May 22, 2017
  3. Inacessible boot drive and infinite loop

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

please refer to this post on how to resolve Blue screen errors in Windows 10.

How to troubleshoot blue screen errors in Windows 10

You may try this and check:

Windows 10 herunterladen

1. Use a Blank memory card with 8GB or more. Insert into a functioning computer.

2. Download media creation tool.

3. Run tool.

4. When prompted select Create Installation For Another PC.

5. Using the Blank memory card. Choose USB port the memory card is in on the functioning computer, and

Download Windows 10.

6. When download is finished remove using safely eject media.

7. Insert the memory card into the computer that the Windows 10 OS does not BOOT in before you push the

power button.

8. Push the power button. Press the Function Key associated with BOOT options in system start up screen.

This is located within system start up screen. This will bring up BOOT option's.

9. Select USB media option in Boot screen option's menu.

10. This will start the recovery options for Windows 10.

11. Follow the instructions as to the recovery options preferred.

Hope this post is helpful. Get back to us with the results. We are happy to help.

Joy Kemprai, May 22, 2017
  4. Inacessible Boot Drive

Hi mkmossop.

You might try this solution using Kyhi's Recovery Drive.

Windows Boot issues

Assuming you get back into your installation please turn restore points on.

I would also recommend you check out and implement usage of Macrium Reflect to create Images of your system. Its free and highly recommended on the forum.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 22, 2017
  5. mkmossop Win User
    Thanks very much for the reply Ken. I'm downloading now, but not totally sure how to use it. Do I just copy the iso to a usb and it'll show up in the boot options? Or do I have to do any of the steps NavyLCDR says?

mkmossop, May 22, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    To make a bootable USB flash drive, insert the flash drive in an operating Windows computer. Open a command prompt. run diskpart. Once you are in diskpart, run the following commands:

list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    clean <- this will erase the selected drive, make sure it is the USB flash drive!
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    exit
    exit

Then mount Kyhi's Recovery Tools ISO files. If you are on Windows 7, you will need a program like WinCDEmu to mount it. Windows 8 and 10 will mount it just by right clicking and select mount. Then copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

The first thing you will want to run when you boot into Kyhi's recover tools is Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu, select the utility to Fix Windows boot problems.

NavyLCDR, May 22, 2017
  7. mkmossop Win User
    Ok great thanks that's super helpful I didn't know any of that *Smile. If the disk is totally empty do I still need to clean it?

mkmossop, May 22, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Inacessible Boot Drive

Yes. It only takes a second.

NavyLCDR, May 22, 2017
  9. mkmossop Win User
    Right... was just paranoid of cleaning the wrong disk on my dad's computer.

mkmossop, May 22, 2017
  10. mkmossop Win User
    Alright so I ran Macrium Reflect. It said:

EFI partition found on disk 1
    Removing old BCD
    Creating BCD for C:\Windows

I clicked yes to restart my PC but it didn't do anything. So I waited a couple minutes and then restarted it but I still have the same problem. Is there anything else I should try while in Macrium?

The problem isn't nearly as big a deal now as when I boot from Kyhi's recovery I notice that I have access to all my files on my c: drive. So I can copy those files to a usb and if I have to do a fresh install it's ok.

mkmossop, May 22, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is your computer set to boot in UEFI mode and Windows Boot Manager set for the first boot device?

NavyLCDR, May 22, 2017
  12. mkmossop Win User
    I'm not sure about UEFI mode.

If I go to BIOS and system configuration there are boot order options for both UEFI and Legacy. UEFI options come first. All my google searches to see if I'm in UEFI mode require me to go into windows.

Under UEFI Boot Order "OS Boot Manager" is first on the list.

I just noticed that if I go to Boot Device Options then "OS Boot Manager (UEFI)" is a new option. Just tried it but came back to "inaccessible boot device".

mkmossop, May 22, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Inacessible Boot Drive

You said you tried safe mode. Does that mean that you can boot into safe mode? If you can boot into safe mode, then you will want to uninstall whatever drive controller is listed in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and make sure the box to uninstall drivers is checked (if it is there).

NavyLCDR, May 22, 2017
  14. mkmossop Win User
    Ya I tried it but safe mode doesnt work.

I tried with the x64 version. I just noticed my program files says x86 though. Should I try again with the x86 version?

Also with the recovery boot I have access to the Samsung folder. Tried to open Magician to disable rapid mode, but it won't open.

mkmossop, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Inacessible Boot Drive

1. Inacessible Boot Drive - Similar Threads - Inacessible Boot Drive

2. Inacessible boot device after enabling secure boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inacessible boot device after enabling secure boot: Hello, I am having a major issue with my Asus laptop after trying to enable secure boot for Valorant. After entering the bios and disabling fast boot and enabling the secure boot things, when I tried to boot, it gave me the Inaccessible boot device error. I have tried...
  3. Inacessible boot device after enabling secure boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inacessible boot device after enabling secure boot: Hello, I am having a major issue with my Asus laptop after trying to enable secure boot for Valorant. After entering the bios and disabling fast boot and enabling the secure boot things, when I tried to boot, it gave me the Inaccessible boot device error. I have tried...
  4. Computer Internal Hard Drive Corrupted? - Bitlocker Folder Inacessible w/ Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Internal Hard Drive Corrupted? - Bitlocker Folder Inacessible w/ Key: Hello,This problem has persisted for a while now upwards of a month and the solutions that I have attempted are as follows:1. Formatting the drive both fast & total wipe2. Using a Bitlocker key to unlock the driveNOTE: Folder would allow me to attempt to open it once with the...
  5. Computer Internal Hard Drive Corrupted? - Bitlocker Folder Inacessible w/ Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Internal Hard Drive Corrupted? - Bitlocker Folder Inacessible w/ Key: Hello,This problem has persisted for a while now upwards of a month and the solutions that I have attempted are as follows:1. Formatting the drive both fast & total wipe2. Using a Bitlocker key to unlock the driveNOTE: Folder would allow me to attempt to open it once with the...
  6. Windows update inacessible laptop at all, no indication of power

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update inacessible laptop at all, no indication of power: Last week a guy name Greg Carmac work on my computer , he is sending very lengthy response in which I find it trash, he is sending a tons of links which are not helpful ,I can tell he is just copy and pasting responses, so i decided to send another request to here , i...
  7. Inacessible boot device after update march 23

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inacessible boot device after update march 23: To start I'd like to say that im not very good with my computer so forgive me if i make silly mistakes but ive tried following most other guides for this problem. The drive letter that has windows in it is E: The last thing i remember before this happened was 2 pending...
  8. inacessable users

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    inacessable users: [ATTACH] After learning my system has been tampered with I began doing research. my computer memory seemingly disappeared. All three of my devices are being tampered with a laptop, desktop, and cell phone. Upon trying to search for the missing bytes I stumbled upon two...
  9. rebooting and windows inacessible

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    rebooting and windows inacessible: at ms agents prompting i copied win 10 install files ( restart ?) to memory stick and need to resrtart or reboot my win 10 in primary pc .. i dont really want to reinstall cos it will destroy files... can i reboot or somehow get back to normal win start screen ... i have...
  10. restore an image my w10 doesn't start inacessible boot device help

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    restore an image my w10 doesn't start inacessible boot device help: Hi today i tried to copy my windows 10 ssd to a new ssd i used macrium reflex 6 and image for windows the last version after the boot , i disconnected my other drivers ,but i got inacessible boot device i can't boot anymore does somebody restore an image of windows...