Windows 10: Inadvertent Shutdown

Discus and support Inadvertent Shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sometimes when I'm moving my laptop from one place to another, I inadvertently hit a key that shuts it down. I only know the correct way to shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RLAR, Jan 20, 2018.

1. RLAR Win User

Inadvertent Shutdown

Sometimes when I'm moving my laptop from one place to another, I inadvertently hit a key that shuts it down. I only know the correct way to shut down...go to start button then to power then to shutdown. Or force quit by holding physical power button down. What on the keyboard shuts it down? I have an ASUS q524UQK .

:)

2. KathyROB Win User

MS update on Lumia interupted and ... now in a loop

I inadvertently interrupted the MS update on my Lumia 950. The phone is now in a continuous loop trying to install update but stopping after 2 seconds. Have tried soft reset and hard reset but I cannot stop the loop nor restart nor shutdown my phone...How
    can I recuperate my phone?

KathyROB, Jan 20, 2018
  3. akf_5 Win User
    Folder Problem after installing Photoshop Elements

I purchased a copy of Photoshop Elements and on checking out the software, discovered I had inadvertently created a folder problem within Windows 10.

Elements indicates my photos are located within the following tree structure:

This PC:

(my name)

*(inadvertently created folder)

Pictures

Elements

I tried to rename the inadvertent folder to that of Pictures, and vice-versa but to no avail. My question is as follows: How can I move the contents of the *inadvertently created folder to my "Pictures" folder and delete the folder I don't want? There
    are several subfolders in both containing hundres of photos.

akf_5, Jan 20, 2018
  4. Inadvertent Shutdown

There is no single keyboard key shortcut that will shutdown laptop.

Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type eventvwr.msc, and press Enter.
    If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes

In the left pane of Event Viewer, double click/tap on Windows Logs to expand it, click on System to select it, then right click on System, and click/tap on Filter Current Log.

To See the Dates and Times of All User Shut Downs of the Computer

Click/tap on the drop down arrow to the right of Event sources, check the USER32 box, and click/tap in the <All Event IDs> field.

In the <All Event IDs> field, type 1074, then click/tap on OK

This will give you a list of power off (shutdown) and restart Shutdown Type of events at the top of the middle pane in Event Viewer.

You can scroll through these listed events to find the events with power off as the Shutdown Type. You will notice the date and time, and what user was responsible for shutting down the computer per power off event listed.

FreeBooter, Jan 21, 2018
  5. RLAR Win User
    Hi Free,
    I could tell just by glancing at your instructions that I'd be in over my head, but thought I'd challenge myself. Got as far as Event Sources, User 32, but did not see anything saying "All Event IDs, " only "All Event Sources." Decided to let it go cuz didn't want to create a problem. No worries....I'll just be more observant of where my hands are whenever I'm transporting my computer with the lid open. Thanks for all the information tho. Really.

6. Hi @RLAR

Have a look at below screenshot i have mark the "All Event IDs" input boxes.

Btw, you are very welcome!

Inadvertent Shutdown [​IMG]

FreeBooter, Jan 21, 2018
  7. RLAR Win User
    Oh ya, I guess I did initially see that phrase/field, but then I typed in 1074 and forgot that's what it had said....sheesh. In that center pane it lists: level, date and time, source, event ID & task category. Only dates showing are 1/14, 15 & 17. Below that under general it gives some data and states "shutdown type: power off." Maybe I'm bumping the power button, which is on the side of my keyboard. Apparently it only takes a slight bump to shut down. I wouldn't have thought, as it usually takes more than that. Thanks for getting me to the logical answer. Wadda dope, me.

8. RLAR Win User

Inadvertent Shutdown

A side note: Being lame, in this case, gave me the knowledge that I can simply touch the physical power button to shut down. I don't have to go to start menu, select power and then select shut down. Always thought that, with windows 8 and 10, shutting down required following specific steps to be done properly. Pushing the button seems to have same response as start menu procedure, and when I turn computer back on I don't get a notification saying that it was done improperly. Yey.

RLAR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Inadvertent Shutdown

1. Inadvertent Shutdown - Similar Threads - Inadvertent Shutdown

2. how do i unlock inadvertantly locked files? Microsoft 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i unlock inadvertantly locked files? Microsoft 11: My files were inadvertently locked. Now it is asking for a password/passcode to access those files. I did nothing to mark them as secure files. how do I unlock these files?...
  3. how do i unlock inadvertantly locked files? Microsoft 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i unlock inadvertantly locked files? Microsoft 11: My files were inadvertently locked. Now it is asking for a password/passcode to access those files. I did nothing to mark them as secure files. how do I unlock these files?...
  4. Data locked inadvertently. and unable to access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data locked inadvertently. and unable to access.: Need Support on the below:Copied complete data on external hard drive. While coping back to my laptop, all files icons PDF, Excel, word found with a "lock" symbol. Also, while opening the file - msg pops out that " You do not have permission to access the file". Never used...
  5. Data locked inadvertently. and unable to access.

Data locked inadvertently. and unable to access.: Need Support on the below:Copied complete data on external hard drive. While coping back to my laptop, all files icons PDF, Excel, word found with a "lock" symbol. Also, while opening the file - msg pops out that " You do not have permission to access the file". Never used...
  6. I was attempting to add a new device to my 365 account and inadvertently locked my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was attempting to add a new device to my 365 account and inadvertently locked my...: I was attempting to add a new device to my 365 account and inadvertently locked my computer. I do not have an administrative login id or password...
  7. I was attempting to add a new device to my 365 account and inadvertently locked my...

I was attempting to add a new device to my 365 account and inadvertently locked my...: I was attempting to add a new device to my 365 account and inadvertently locked my computer. I do not have an administrative login id or password...
  8. I was attempting to add a new device to my 365 account and inadvertently locked my...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Inadvertent Reinstall Windows 10- Lost Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inadvertent Reinstall Windows 10- Lost Data: HDD: 1GB Seagate ST1000M003-1ER162; PARTITION C: Boot & system, Applications, User files, Some data files downloads, scans, etc PARTITION D: User created Data files INTENT: To download Windows installation media for another computer onto a flash drive From the...
  10. Inadvertent Reinstall Windows 10- Lost Data

Inadvertent Reinstall Windows 10- Lost Data: HDD: 1GB Seagate ST1000M003-1ER162; PARTITION C: Boot & system, Applications, User files, Some data files downloads, scans, etc PARTITION D: User created Data files INTENT: To download Windows installation media for another computer onto a flash drive From the...