Windows 10: Inadvertently downgraded from Win10 to Win7 by using System Recovery

Discus and support Inadvertently downgraded from Win10 to Win7 by using System Recovery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was part of the of the pre-release Win10 testing force. As part of this effort I had the pre-release Win10 installation, and upon release I took... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pb92109, Nov 18, 2016.

1. pb92109 Win User

Inadvertently downgraded from Win10 to Win7 by using System Recovery

I was part of the of the pre-release Win10 testing force. As part of this effort I had the pre-release Win10 installation, and upon release I took advantage of the temporary free upgrade to Win10 official release. If I recall correctly, I had to upgrade the Win7 Home Premium 64 bit install to Win8, then finally to Win10.

Subsequently, I gave the machine to my mother and forgot about it. I've just come to visit her and she was complaining about pop-ups that I found to be a particularly determined and stubborn infection. I don't know what it was/is, just that it was very intrusive and I was unable to get rid of it. Frustrated and forgetting the upgrade history of the machine, I performed a system recovery. Unexpectedly, It removed all trace of Win10 and recovered to Win7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

I have tried several ways to return it to Win10, but they each just loop endlessly and no progress is made, even after letting the processes run for a day.

Is there any way to get the Win10 install back on the machine? (hopefully without buying a new license) - the original upgrade was done for free and I don't remember if I had to create any install disks, etc. during that process.

Thank you in advance and please let me know if i can provide additional information.

:)

pb92109, Nov 18, 2016
  2. katinfoco Win User

"backup and restore win 7" or "recovery" for win10, which one to use on Win10?

still confused about system image (win7 terminology) vs recovery on usb (win10 terminology)...

we have 3 machines, some with win7, some with win10. which backup/restore/recovery/system image ??? program should I use to ensure that I have backups/restore/recovery/system image ??? available in case of pc failure?

the terms used in win7 and win10 are very confusing.

If the preference is to use "recovery" in Win10, why is there an option to choose "backup and restore Windows 7" available in Win10

also, re win10, hate to use up a large flash drive just for a recovery in win10 (when creating a recovery in win10, it wipes out all other files on the flash drive). Will the recovery option still work from a flash drive with other files on the drive?

katinfoco, Nov 18, 2016
  3. katinfoco Win User
    Is the system backup for Windows 10 still identified as a Windows 7 task name?

still confused about system image (win7 terminology) vs recovery on usb (win10 terminology)...

we have 3 machines, some with win7, some with win10. which backup/restore/recovery/system image ???

program should I use to ensure that I have backups/restore/recovery/system image ??? available in case of pc failure?

the terms used in win7 and win10 are very confusing.

also, re win10, hate to use up a large flash drive just for a recovery in win10 (when creating a recovery in win10, it wipes out all other files on the flash drive).

Can I use the flash drive for other files? Or maybe revert back to the win7 backup and restore that does not wipe the flash drive??

katinfoco, Nov 18, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

HI there.

I would do a clean install (removing the partition(s) off c*Smile thereby starting completely fresh. You shouldn't need to worry about your activation as it should remember it.

swarfega, Nov 18, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Inadvertently downgraded from Win10 to Win7 by using System Recovery - Similar Threads - Inadvertently downgraded Win10

2. Sys reboot downgraded my pc from win10 to win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sys reboot downgraded my pc from win10 to win7: Hi,My laptop came with Windows 7 Home from the factory. Years ago, I had an offer to upgrade to Windows 10 for free - which I accepted, and I have been using it for a long time. However, after a while, I attempted to reboot my PC from the BIOS due to some malware issues....
  3. Sys reboot downgraded my pc from win10 to win7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sys reboot downgraded my pc from win10 to win7: Hi,My laptop came with Windows 7 Home from the factory. Years ago, I had an offer to upgrade to Windows 10 for free - which I accepted, and I have been using it for a long time. However, after a while, I attempted to reboot my PC from the BIOS due to some malware issues....
  4. Sys reboot downgraded my pc from win10 to win7

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  6. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  7. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

8. Accidental downgrade from win10 to win7

Accidental downgrade from win10 to win7: Trying via e2b to install win7 on an external HD, to run some software made for win7 by booting from the external HD, I accidentally overwrote my win10 on my Dell E7253 laptop. Is there any way of undoing this, and restoring the laptop to win10, and get it back to the state...
  9. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  10. Downgrade Win10 to Win7

Downgrade Win10 to Win7: Hi.... I want to back to use Win7, I bought a new notebook with Win10 installed, Can I downgrade it to Win7? Thanks... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-win10-to-win7/2e9a1762-030d-48ad-ad2c-d0513a2b9f58