Windows 10: Inappropriate behavior of AVG Antivirus

Discus and support Inappropriate behavior of AVG Antivirus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello Forum, I would like to share with you about AVG antivirus which is installed on my pc. When I turn on my pc, first thing is to update the virus... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Motim, May 1, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Inappropriate behavior of AVG Antivirus

Hello Forum,
    I would like to share with you about AVG antivirus which is installed on my pc.
    When I turn on my pc, first thing is to update the virus definitions in avg, make some scan, then start doing whatever.
    Last week while reading something in the internet, suddenly a popup notice telling me that my antivirus is off, and also windows defender is off, first thing I pulled out the line plug. Then I clicked on the avg icon to turn it on but did not get any respond, avg interface did not even open. Had to reconnect to the net for some help, which said to open in the control panel where list of installed programs, right-click on avg, click change/repair, in moments I got a new unfamiliar avg interface, it said avg was repaired and to reboot the computer, which I did. After reboot, the new avg interface (whole new version) came up and started scanning the whole computer - nothing was found.
    Now I started slowly to learn this new thing which has many settings, and what is more annoying its recomandation to install the avg pc-tuneup which I got rid-off more then two years ago.
    Checked the security of my pc in the control panel, everything is ok.
    When all this started, I did not download anything, had not in mind to update avg to a new version (althogh its free), I was happy with what I have.
    I keep thinking that avg downloaded some new installation file not knowingly and installed itself not asking me.
    After this post I will send to avg a complaint about this issue.

PS, for some moments I was afraid that a virus attacked the only one computer I have, and had in mind to restore the computer from the last backup I made a day before.
    And another ps, I have the off-line installation file of the 'gone' avg antivirus. The new version has no off-line installation file.
    Well, I just wanted to share with you this story, and will gladly have your oppinion about.
    Thanks,

:)

Motim, May 1, 2017
  2. Smittychat., May 1, 2017
  3. auggy Win User
    Explorer and task bar crashing and resetting when trying to load files.

It may be the aswJsFlt.dll that is crashing Chrome:

LoadedModule[58]=C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Antivirus\x64\aswJsFlt.dll

As the aswJsFlt.dll is a component of AVG Antivirus and you are experiencing multiple application crashes I would suggest to temporarily uninstall AVG and use Windows built-in antivirus (Windows Defender) and firewall and see if the crashes resolve.

auggy, May 1, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Remove AVG antivirus. But that's just my opinion.

NavyLCDR, May 1, 2017
  5. What little I know about all this leads me to second NavyLCDR's recommendation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Wiley Coyote, May 1, 2017
  6. *Ditto*Ditto*Ditto

indianacarnie, May 2, 2017
  7. Motim Win User
    Hello and thanks for your answers. You all sugest to remove AVG (and it is free), its simple to remove it, avg has a removal tool, but when I remove it - I do not have any antivirus replacement, therefore will not be able to use the internet.
    Can you sugest any other (free) antivirus I can download and install ?
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Motim, May 2, 2017
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

You have w10 built-in Windows Defender. It should kick-in after uninstalling any third-party antivirus program.

eLPuSHeR, May 2, 2017
  9. Every AV in the world does the same, it is a normal behaviour to auto-update itself.
    Usually you can setup in options, if you want to the program core to update itself.

TairikuOkami, May 2, 2017
  10. dencal Win User
    If you want a freebie Bitdefender Free is to be recommended, no addons, no nag nag, you will hardly know its there and it uses the same AV engine as its highly rated paid for version.

Other than that the vastly improved Defender is worth considering, many members recommend it.

dencal, May 2, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    +1 for Windows 10 built-in defender. That and little common sense and I don't have any viruses on my dozen computers on my network for years.

NavyLCDR, May 2, 2017
  12. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    After AVG began to be unbearable and wants me to click on additional (unwanted) tools, I decided to use my recent week before backup and restored the computer. For moments I was happy but then AVG stroke again with its ugly interface saing that I am not protected and to go online complete the installation.
    As your advise I downloaded the free Bitdefender in two versions - the offline installer and the online installer - which is better ?
    Now to get rid of AVG, have some questions first (have to be offline untill some protection is present):
    1. Uninstall AVG from the control panel or with CCleaner ? or..
    2. There is also an AVG removal tool. (Have it downloaded too)
    3. After removal, shell I remove any traces of this program from the registry (if any).
    The Bitdefender installation files (both) are downloaded already, and I am wayting for your answers to go on.
    Thanks

Motim, May 2, 2017
  13. Berton Win User

An Offline installer usually accomplishes the same thing as an Online/Streaming installer but allows the saved download to be reused on the same computer or put on a USB Thumb drive to use on other computers. Quite handy with slower connections and/or multiple computers. I have a 5Mbps connection but with a lot of large downloads [over 2GB] I have access to a 60Mbps broadband connection that doesn't take long, always keep a Thumb drive with me.

Berton, May 2, 2017
  14. Panda Cloud is extremely light on your system and is free. No nagging but you do have to make an "account". I think anyway.... been using it so long I honestly don't remember *Redface. No problems with it or with any bad things either. I'm extremely pleased with it and recommend it to my family and friends. Windows built in Defender is making major strides too I hear, but I go to some fairly "iffy" sites on a halfway regular basis and Panda hasn't let me down yet.

indianacarnie, May 2, 2017
  15. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Where is the offline installer for BitDefender free?

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Inappropriate behavior of AVG Antivirus - Similar Threads - Inappropriate behavior AVG

2. Uninstall AVG Antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Uninstall AVG Antivirus: If I uninstall AVG antivirus while in older Windows version like Windows 7, 8 etc, is firewall still on and unsupported microsoft defender enabled back automatically?...
  3. How to Uninstall an uninvited AVG Browser; Requested AVG Antivirus.

How to Uninstall an uninvited AVG Browser; Requested AVG Antivirus.: Long ago in the days of UK Pub Space Invaders. About 1981 or 2; I started using Microsoft O.S. V.3.1,or 2. with a Qume Sprint 5 Daisy Wheel Printer with a KSR Keyboard; An 80 column 32K computer; 5 inch twin disk drives and software costing the Price of a House. All up in the...
  4. Removing antivirus such as AVG

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing antivirus such as AVG: How do you remove AVG antivirusand stop their annoying pop-up ads? There was a tempting free trial offer to try AVG antivirus; only one of dozens on the market available to download. I was unsatisfied generally and now need to uninstall and remove it completely, mainly...
  5. AVG antivirus

AVG antivirus: How do i delete AVG free antivirus and use Windows Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avg-antivirus/56a2cde5-8281-44d6-8b52-59b691cb882d"
  6. help remove avg antivirus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    help remove avg antivirus: I am trying to update latest windows update but am told to remove avg antivirus . cant find this anywhere in programs or files. any suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-remove-avg-antivirus/14555811-bdb7-480e-b3c3-7a3026d5d305
  7. Uninstall AVG Antivirus Free version

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Uninstall AVG Antivirus Free version: Can someone please help? I downloaded the free version of AVG Antivirus Free version a while ago and have since uninstalled it but I keep getting the message regarding Windows Update saying that I need to uninstall that programme as it is preventing the update from being...
  8. Unable to remove AVG Antivirus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove AVG Antivirus: I have a problem with AVG antivirus; in fact I think avg is a terrible virus itself. It is in my computer and I can’t get it out. Can some help get rid of that * Moved from Community Participation Center * Original title: I have a problem with AVG antivirus; in fact I...
  9. Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG

Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG: Security giant Avast has announced it intends to acquire fellow Czech-based antivirus software maker AVG for a purchase price of $25.00 per share in cash — resulting in a transaction that will total around $1.3 billion. Avast intends to finance the transaction using cash...
  10. Uninstalling AVG antivirus trouble-maker

Uninstalling AVG antivirus trouble-maker: Hello, Finally have decided to remove AVG antivirus software, too many troubles recently (posted to you my story this week). But first I have some questions: 1. Uninstall from control panel 2. Uninstall with CCleaner. 3. Uninstall using AVG remover tool...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/avg-family-safety-8/1df94db9-d1b4-4a6a-942e-4e04c97fb32c