Windows 10: Incomplete dialog: "How do you want to open this file?"

Discus and support Incomplete dialog: "How do you want to open this file?" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All the programs/files I need at startup open. However, the above dialog opens during startup every time. It never includes the top section naming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nordel, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Nordel Win User

Incomplete dialog: "How do you want to open this file?"

All the programs/files I need at startup open.

However, the above dialog opens during startup every time. It never includes the top section naming the problem file (see attached screen shot of the normal dialog).

1. Is this a bug? Is there a fix for it?
    2. If not a bug, how can I track down the problem file?

Edit: I just added a screen of my PC

:)

Nordel, Sep 15, 2015

2. How do you want to open this file? dialog box keeps apearing even though edge is default

Hi Neil,

Apart from the steps provided above, can you check if the issue is persistent when you start your computer in safe mode? See: Start
    your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    for the steps.

Keep us posted.

Michelle Mad, Sep 15, 2015
  3. How do you want to open this file? dialog box keeps apearing even though edge is default

Hi Zach,

To verify, apart from the resolution given above, can you also check if the steps provided by satrioyudho on this thread: DifxFrontend
    failed! popup at startup
    helps?

Keep us posted.

Michelle Mad, Sep 15, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Hi Nordel, welcome to the Ten Forums.

The bottom of the dialog shows your PC is trying to open a Flash video file (.flv extension). Does selecting MPC-HC and then ticking the box Always use this app to open .flv files solve the issue? At least it should show you what is the video the PC wants to run every time you start it.

5. Nordel Win User
    Kari thanks for the quick reply. I see my post was not clear.

The screen shot is not from my PC. The attached picture is fine. I wish my PC would display it this way. Note: I've added a screen shot of the dialog my PC displays. See above

My PC's dialog has no section at the top for "Keep using this app" and no check box at the bottom for "Always use this app to..." It seems like a bug. I'd like to fix it, if possible---or find a workaround.

Have forum members seen this sort of problem?

Nordel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Incomplete dialog: "How do you want to open this file?" - Similar Threads - Incomplete dialog open

2. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  3. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  4. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  5. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  6. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  7. How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file / Open With Dialog: Hi I have recently installed update KB4493464. Since this has installed I have got 1 pop up every time I try to open a file type. The file types previously worked without issue, and the association settings are still correct, but for every file it has asked me again to set...
  8. How do you want to open this file

How do you want to open this file: when i try to open .cfg file it asks me every time "How do you want to open this file", i set notepad and it don't save this app as the application in which it must to open. And whey i again try to open this .cfg file windows again asks me "How do you want to open this...
  9. "How do you want to open this file?"

"How do you want to open this file?": This pops up on my computer randomly, but generally every 5 to 10 minutes. It disappears on mouse click, but is annoying. Especially if in the middle of some work. See the attached screen shot. I have read through many posts regarding a variation of this popup that includes...
  10. How do you want to open this file ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How do you want to open this file ?: When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying "how do you want to open this file? " with the options of: Internet Explorer Notepad Office XML Handler Paint Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is windows10 DifxFrontend

2. difxfrontend failed popup at startup

3. how do you want to open this file pdf