Windows 10: inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart

Discus and support inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello Forum! I hope I can find a guru here, who can explain the "interesting" phenomena of different partition types (in disk manager it's actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by elsnerc, Sep 13, 2015.

1. elsnerc Win User

inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart

Hello Forum!

I hope I can find a guru here, who can explain the "interesting" phenomena of different partition types (in disk manager it's actually listed in the "status" column) being displayed by disk manager vs diskpart.

The setup: disk0 has 8 partitions (3 primary, 1 extended, 4 logical).

This is correctly shown by diskpart: partitions 1,2 and 3 are primary, partition 0 is extended, partitions 4,5,6 and 7 are logical drives within the extended partition.

Disk manager, on the other hand, lists 6 primary partitions (these are partitions 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 in diskpart) and one extended partition (probably partition 0, but smaller...) containing only one logical drive (partition 7).

The partitions I am actually trying to access are 4,5 and 6. They contain a linux installation, wich, oh wonder, i cannot access anymore after upgrading to windows 10. The entry in the bootmanager is still available, but it cannot find the linux boot manager anymore, which is located on partiton 5.

I used and still use the windows boot manager for the multiboot. Partitions 2 and 3 contain the windows 7 and 10 installs and work ok.

Just to clarify: this setup was working before upgrading to windows 10. I upgraded the windows 8.1 install in partition 3.

My intuition is that it must be related to the inconsistent display of the partitions in windows, since diskpart also lists partitions 4,5 and 6 as hidden.

So, any guru around?

Thank you in advance for enlighting info!

:)

elsnerc, Sep 13, 2015
  2. Time Lady Win User

COMPATABILITY

You could try diskpart to see if it’s listed there.

6. Open a Command Prompt W/ administration rights.

○ Type in "DiskPart" in command line.

○ Type in "list disk" in command line to show all disks in this machine.

○ Use "select" to set the focus to the specified partition.

For example "select disk 1".

○ Use "clean" command.

○ Use "Exit" to Close Disk Part.

1. Go back to Disk Management, you can see GPT disk is "Not Initialized" now.

2. Within Disk Management, right click on disk info, choose "Initialize Disk", You can see disk is "Unallocated" now.

3. Right click on disk info, choose "New Partition…", follow Partition Wizard and format it.

Time Lady, Sep 13, 2015
  3. Time Lady Win User
    toshiba external hdd not recognized in windows 10

Under device manager is there anything with a yellow triangle?

Using command prompt>diskpart is the drive seen?

If so then you can use diskpart to clean the drive then it should be seen by disk management where you will be able to format it - choose MBR to have the drive compatible with previous Windows versions.

If there's something on the drive you wish to keep then plug it into another computer & save the contents.

• Type in "DiskPart" in command line.
    • Type in "list disk" in command line to show all disks in this machine.
    • Use "select" to set the focus to the specified partition.

For example "select disk 1".
    • Use "clean" command to remove GPT disk from the current in-focus disk by zeroing sectors.
    • Go back to Disk Management, you can see GPT disk is "Not Initialized" now.
    • Within Disk Management, right click on disk info, choose "Initialize Disk", You can see GPT disk is "Unallocated" now.
    • Right click on disk info, choose "New Partition…", follow Partition Wizard and format it.

Time Lady, Sep 13, 2015
  4. inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart

My guess is that the Linux logical partitions got corrupted by the Win10 installation. The Ubuntu forums has lots of posts from folks claiming their logical partitions got corrupted after a Windows upgrade.

If you have a live USB/CD, you could boot from that and run "fsck" on the partitions -- but don't be surprised if they are damaged.

Mark Phelps, Sep 13, 2015
Thema:

inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart

1. inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart - Similar Threads - inconsistent partition info

2. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management - Partitions: Descobri que meu SSD de 1Tb diminuiu para 222 Gb.o que posso fazer? Posso juntar os volumes 1 e 3 ao 0 zero? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-partitions/8badfd33-7d4f-4f4b-96b6-be7c1d182fb1
  3. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management - Partitions: Descobri que meu SSD de 1Tb diminuiu para 222 Gb.o que posso fazer? Posso juntar os volumes 1 e 3 ao 0 zero? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-partitions/8badfd33-7d4f-4f4b-96b6-be7c1d182fb1
  4. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  6. Disk Management - Partitioning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management - Partitioning: Trying to partition my old HD to use for sys image storage for my new SSD. Allocation went fine but problems creating a volume. Using the defaults except for the drive letter when I go to finish I get a warning that I am trying to convert that drive from basic to dynamic and...
  7. Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues: I've been having inconsistent booting issues where sometimes it will boot to BIOS and then I'll select the C: drive I want to boot from and it works fine. Othertimes, it just boots normally. I've expiriemtns with different UEFI on/off settings and ordered the drives how I...
  8. Are Diskpart and Disk Management on the same PC???

Are Diskpart and Disk Management on the same PC???: Hi ..... a little bit of weirdness on a recent install ..... take a look at the screen captures taken on my laptop linked to below and you'll see what I'm getting at in the title to the post (the Disk Management version is correct) .... look forward to feedback ..... Alan...
  9. Disk management shows one less partition than diskpart and Macrium

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management shows one less partition than diskpart and Macrium: [img] [img] [img] Is this the new partition created by 1809 upgrade? 119305
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: How to: DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk [img] Information Some time ago in another thread I promised a fellow Ten Forums member, esteemed geek and a good friend of mine Tony K to make him a custom DISKPART script when needed: My system at present is...