Windows 10: Incorrect disk usage values displayed in Settings > System > Storage

Discus and support Incorrect disk usage values displayed in Settings > System > Storage in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; If I open Settings in Windows 10, then go to System > Storage, I get the following usage for C: 161Gb used of 285Gb whereas File Explorer gives the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by borophyll, Aug 1, 2016.

1. borophyll Win User

Incorrect disk usage values displayed in Settings > System > Storage

If I open Settings in Windows 10, then go to System > Storage, I get the following usage for C:
    161Gb used of 285Gb
    whereas File Explorer gives the more sensible 21Gb used of 145Gb, which is almost certainly the correct values, given that it is a 145Gb partition, and is a fresh install of Windows 10. The C: partition is on a 480Gb SSD drive.

Here is a screenshot of disk management showing the correct values

Incorrect disk usage values displayed in Settings > System > Storage [​IMG]

And here is a screenshot of the Storage screen with the incorrect values

Can anyone explain why this is?

Thanks.

:)

borophyll, Aug 1, 2016

2. Disk Cleanup vs. Third-Party Cleaners (CCleaner, Advanced SystemCare, etc.)

Disk Cleanup already does a pretty good job along with the successor called Storage sense in Start > Settings > System > Storage > Storage Sense > toggle on and it will do everything for you clean up your disk and keep it optimized.

Also look into the free third party utility called TreeSize that can help find large log files that eat up space and slow down your computer:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/map-hardrive-u...

Andre Da Costa, Aug 1, 2016
  3. Used Storage Space on Apps and Games Keeps Growing- Without Installing Anything

Open Start > Settings > System > Storage > This PC

Click Other and Temporary files to see where the storage might be used.

Also use TreeSize to find out if there any hidden files or logs that might be using up your disk space:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/map-hardrive-u...

Andre Da Costa, Aug 1, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

The C: drive partition is correctly identified as 145.70GB, however if you add up the rest of the partitions without drive letters (ie) 139.70GB + the hidden 350MB and 450MB partitions, you get 285GB not including the 160GB of Unallocated Space. Since the other partitions don't have drive letters, System/Storage is lumping those drives into the total capacity of C:.

spunk, Aug 1, 2016
  5. borophyll Win User
    I see. The figures do add up as you have specified, but I think it is confusing that it reports the capacity of the other partition as though it was part of C: The 139.70Gb partition is an EXT4 partition (my Ubuntu install). However, it is mounted in Windows using an EXT driver as drive E: but I guess that Windows is confused by this and assumes the drive is full and reports it as 100% used. Adding this with the used capacity of C: of around 22Gb would give the utilised figure of 161Gb. Thanks for your help.

borophyll, Aug 2, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    Are you sure you are not confusing this 139.79GB partition with your secondary HDD that also does not have drive letters in Windows, so I am assuming this Disk 1 is Ubuntu? If the 139.79GB partition is E: in Windows, the drive letter is not showing in Disk Management, Try right clicking and assigning this partition with a drive letter.

spunk, Aug 2, 2016
  7. borophyll Win User
    Yes, I am sure. I have the root partition on this drive, which is an ssd drive. The other hdd drive contains data partitions. I don't know why it's not showing up in disk management, but it is showing up in file explorer correctly, with the 1.4 Tb data partition on the hdd mounted as D:. The 8Gb partition on the hdd is just a Linux swap partition. I'll post an image of File Explorer later tonight to demonstrate this.

borophyll, Aug 3, 2016
  8. borophyll Win User

Image of File Explorer as promised. I cannot assign drive letters to these partitions in Disk Management. I guess the conclusion to be drawn is that Disk Management does not recognise non-Windows partitions, Storage gets confused by it, and File Explorer has no problem at all. In any case, at least I know now not to trust what is displayed at face value. Not sure if this is a bug or a "feature" and whether I should report it.

borophyll, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Incorrect disk usage values displayed in Settings > System > Storage - Similar Threads - Incorrect disk usage

2. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage: My "system" in the task manager has been causing a lot of disk usage to the point that my screen goes frozen, specifically I'm getting 100% disk usageSystem randomly goes to 20% - 80% disk usage, no reason said whyThis never happened before, but until updating my pc, I am...
  3. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage: My "system" in the task manager has been causing a lot of disk usage to the point that my screen goes frozen, specifically I'm getting 100% disk usageSystem randomly goes to 20% - 80% disk usage, no reason said whyThis never happened before, but until updating my pc, I am...
  4. incorrect cpu usage values

in Windows 10 Gaming
    incorrect cpu usage values: My pc wasn't like this when I was still on windows 10 it only happened recently as well task manager shows different cpu, memory, and other values incorrect in processes it already doesn't add up didn't happen when i was on windows10 then I checked on users I'm the only one...
  5. incorrect cpu usage values

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    incorrect cpu usage values: My pc wasn't like this when I was still on windows 10 it only happened recently as well task manager shows different cpu, memory, and other values incorrect in processes it already doesn't add up didn't happen when i was on windows10 then I checked on users I'm the only one...
  6. Windows showing incorrect storage usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows showing incorrect storage usage: My valorant app in control panel programs shows it uses 2.74terabytes of storage usage but my pc only has 500+ gb storage I dont know how to fix this...
  7. Showing Incorrect Storage Usage

Showing Incorrect Storage Usage: When I go to storage settings, it says that Valorant takes up 328GB of storage, which it obviously doesn't, it takes up around 10GB of storage. Also, I tried to uninstall Valorant to see if the '328GB' is gone, but when it said 'Valorant has been uninstalled" my PC crashes...
  8. Windows 10 Storage Usage Incorrect

Windows 10 Storage Usage Incorrect: Hi I'm getting the notification that my C drive is full I have a ThinkPad T570 with 512gb ssd. the C drive have 269gb. It is getting full for no reason, over a period of a few days it has been getting full without me downloading anything I went to take a look into the storage...
  9. Task manger not properly displaying my disk or network usage values.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task manger not properly displaying my disk or network usage values.: recently when I've looked at task manager, it would show that I am using 0 Disk and Network, which I know is false because I'm obviously on the internet right now. I've been messing with it for a while and found out that when I change the resource value it will fix it, but...
  10. Data Usage App showing incorrect value

Data Usage App showing incorrect value: Hi everyone, I'm trying to monitor my data usage and found some odd things. My data usage monitor built into windows (in Settings -> Network) is showing I've used 72 gigabytes in the last month. However, a 3rd party app (its called Data Usage on the Window's store) is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 disk management 3.77gb

2. Incorrect disk usage values displayed in Settings > System > Storage > system reserved