Windows 10: Incorrect Low memory error occurring when computer is idle

Discus and support Incorrect Low memory error occurring when computer is idle in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, my pc is HP8300 with 8 GB of ram, and I am constantly getting "Your system is low on memory" message (see for precise error in event viewer)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by checho, Mar 4, 2017.

1. checho Win User

Incorrect Low memory error occurring when computer is idle

Hi guys,
    my pc is HP8300 with 8 GB of ram, and I am constantly getting "Your system is low on memory" message (see for precise error in event viewer) and it asks to close some apps. This happens only during the night when the PC was idle for couple hours - at night time. During this time it usually has opened IE 11, with one tab for a local network camera stream and Chrome with couple tabs - nothing particular. I also use the PC to stream video to my TV without transcoding, so I doubt this has anything to do.

Some notes:
    - Regular RAM usage as of the writing of this message is 4.4 GB according to task manager. - Stand by is turned off. - Reinstall Windows did not help.- Memtest did not show any ram issues. See ram model- Virtual memory is set to automatic and shows over 14GB. (see here)

Initially the PC was with this RAM configuration but due to speculations that it could be that the RAM pieces is not talking well to each other I got a new 8 GB piece. Tried all possible combinations between the old and the new and as it did not work, I left just the 8gb alone, and I am still having these issues, so this rules our the hardware issue possibility and makes me think it is some issue in the OS.

Here are some logs from Event Viewer: Application popup: Windows - Out of Virtual Memory: Your system is low on virtual memory. To ensure that Windows runs properly, increase the size of your virtual memory paging file. For more information, see Help. Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: chrome.exe (8580) consumed 185692160 bytes, explorer.exe (4144) consumed 173645824 bytes, and chrome.exe (1172) consumed 162152448 bytes.The Software Protection service failed to start due to the following error: The paging file is too small for this operation to complete.

Here is also an event log: events.evtx - Google Drive
    And new log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4z...ew?usp=sharing

:)

checho, Mar 4, 2017

2. Windows is Low on Memory - Only when computer idles

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

Have you installed all Windows updates and also updated all drivers for your device?

As part of the troubleshooting step, I would suggest you to run the system maintenance troubleshooter from the troubleshooting panel and check.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar and click on it.
    • Click on view all
    • Click on System Maintenance and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Reboot PC and check.You may also boot your PC to a clean boot and safe mode to check If you're getting the same error message.

Refer this link: https:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Reset the computer back to Normal Mode once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same article.

Here is the link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Note: Applies in Windows 10

When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of your monitor. To exit safe mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.

Hoe this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help.

Joy Kemprai, Mar 4, 2017
  3. bmedge Win User
    Windows is Low on Memory - Only when computer idles

Hello everyone,

I recently built a new PC. System Builder - Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX, 400R ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

I've done a fresh install of Windows 10. I've noticed that when my computer idles, and the monitors are set to turn off after 10 minutes, when I "wake it up" I have a "Windows is Low on Memory Error".

I had to disable sleep, hybrid sleep, and hibernation.

I've modified my page file and set it to 16gb. I eventually set it back because it made no difference.

The only way I can get the error to stop happening is to modify my power settings and disable my monitors from turning off.

I've swapped out motherboards, (returned my asus and got a MSI) ssd, video cards, and my ram.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is happening? I have 3 other windows 10 computers and none have this issue.

Error Message: https://i.imgur.com/b4thqmO.jpg

Event Viewer:
    http://imgur.com/bXjqd5F
    - Please note it is not one specific application that gives the error. It's pretty random, sometimes its Microsoft Edge, sometimes it's Teamspeak, it varies.

Thanks,

Brian

bmedge, Mar 4, 2017
  4. Incorrect Low memory error occurring when computer is idle

If you check the RAM usage at the time you get this error message, what does it say? Does the Task Manager say you still have plenty of RAM left, or does it show high usage? My guess would be that one of the programs you have open is leaking memory and chewing it all up.

ArazelEternal, Mar 5, 2017
  5. checho Win User
    This happens in the middle of the night, when the PC is idle, as I explained above, so I can't check the ram usage at the time it happens.

checho, Mar 5, 2017
  6. AndreyT Win User
    The error you are getting has no connection to RAM or RAM usage of any kind. There's no such concept as "low RAM usage" or "high RAM usage" in virtual memory OSes.

The problem is virtual memory usage, which is unusually high. It forces Windows to automatically expand your swap file and issue these warning messages. It might be a memory leak in some third-party software (Chrome plugin? And a service?), but it is hard to say without knowing more details.

AndreyT, Mar 5, 2017
  7. checho Win User
    What details can I provide to investigate the case? I am getting this all the time and it is very frustrating.

As to a leak the only thing that comes to my mind is this streaming service that I use (serviio) to watch videos on the TV and once the TV shuts down from its sleep timer in the middle of the night, it could be leaking. How can I check this, any advice?

I have started performance monitor as described here hoping to get some information. Will post it here once I have a log.

Let me know if I can provide anything else.

checho, Mar 5, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

Does it still happen if you don't use serviio? (don't stream)? Should be easy enough to test for a night or two.

Ztruker, Mar 8, 2017
  9. checho Win User
    Interestingly enough I updated Serviio and added a schedule to start the performance monitor at 11pm and for 2 days I haven't been getting this error. Will continue to track for couple more days.

checho, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Incorrect Low memory error occurring when computer is idle - Similar Threads - Incorrect Low memory

2. Error 0x8028008b when computer is idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x8028008b when computer is idle: I have a brand new Acer Predator with Windows 11 and configured a pin code to access it. It works just fine the first time I try to open the notebook after I start it but if it becomes idle and the pc goes to sleep, after I try the pin the error 0x8028008b appears. It doesn’t...
  3. Error 0x8028008b when computer is idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0x8028008b when computer is idle: I have a brand new Acer Predator with Windows 11 and configured a pin code to access it. It works just fine the first time I try to open the notebook after I start it but if it becomes idle and the pc goes to sleep, after I try the pin the error 0x8028008b appears. It doesn’t...
  4. Low memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low memory: I bought the laptop with 8GB RAM out of which 2GB was already dedicated to the iGPU, so obviously, I would expect the performance of what a 6GB RAM laptop would provide me, but:My laptop barely has any bloatware or a bunch of startup apps, Firefox which I am using right now...
  5. Low memory

Low memory: I bought the laptop with 8GB RAM out of which 2GB was already dedicated to the iGPU, so obviously, I would expect the performance of what a 6GB RAM laptop would provide me, but:My laptop barely has any bloatware or a bunch of startup apps, Firefox which I am using right now...
  6. Windows Development for Low Memory Computers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Development for Low Memory Computers: These computers are still being built and sold in Walmart and many developping countries need them.further as a participant in the development of NetZero without confirming the actual environmental impact we are supposedly in a climate emergency and it would make sense that...
  7. memory low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    memory low: hi microsoft i need help i have low memory on my laptop and have just taken a screenshot of treesizenow i don't want to remove any unnecessary files or folders? so i need suggestions really in what to remove and what not to remove there is a file called something page.sys now...
  8. memory low

memory low: hi microsoft i need help i have low memory on my laptop and have just taken a screenshot of treesizenow i don't want to remove any unnecessary files or folders? so i need suggestions really in what to remove and what not to remove there is a file called something page.sys now...
  9. memory low

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. low on memory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    low on memory: my computer tells me I have low memory but trying free up memory doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/low-on-memory/0d2b9a02-e861-4815-a0ec-8bc68480ebb8"