Windows 10: incorrect password

Discus and support incorrect password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; When I attempt to login to Win 10 I am unable to log in on my desktop computer. It gives me the message, "incorrect password." I am having no problem... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by David Morgenste, Jan 13, 2016.

1. incorrect password

When I attempt to login to Win 10 I am unable to log in on my desktop computer. It gives me the message, "incorrect password." I am having no problem logging in with my laptop. The password is acceptable. I have tried resetting the password through the desktop but it requires a password disk which I don't have. I changed the password on the laptop however the laptop continues to work and the desktop gives me the "incorrect password" error.

:)

David Morgenste, Jan 13, 2016

2. Need help please I cannot sign on to my computer since I upgraded to windows 10

Need help please I cannot sign on to my computer since I upgraded to windows 10

Incorrect password, Jan 13, 2016
  3. Password Incorrect and Local Password Incorrect

Hi,

Since you are unable to sign-in with to your Microsoft account 10, we have a few possible steps to recommend:

• Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift+Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.
    • Click Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup settings. When given the choice of startup options, try booting the PC in
      Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If you can’t get there, skip to the next major step.
      • If you can get to a CMD window, enable the built-in administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes

Note: If this fails, check to see if there is a different language in use and use the correct “Administrator” name from

the list here
      • Then restart and sign-in as the Administrator account.
      • Once in the Administrator account, open Regedit
        and go to the following key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
      • Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the desktop.
      • Then continue with step 4 below.
    • Use boot media to access the recovery command prompt.
      • Start Regedit.
      • Select the HKEY_USERS key.
      • Click File, Load Hive. and go up in the file system to This PC. Then browse to this file and then click Open:

C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT
      • When prompted, name it “def”
      • Select this key:

HKEY_USERS\def\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
      • Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the C:\ drive.
    • Find the subkey under StoredIdentities that matches the name of the Microsoft Account.
    • Delete the key.
    • If you loaded the offline registry hive, go back up in the tree on the left and select “def”. Then click File,
      Unload hive. This option will only be available if “def” is selected.
    • Restart the PC and test sign-in.
    • Once done, you may need to Verify the account in Settings, Accounts in order for it to be fully usable in Windows again.
    If you used the built-in Administrator account to resolve the issue, please return it to the default disabled state to help keep the customer’s PC secure. To do that, refer this command after trying the above steps:
    net user administrator /active:yes

Hope this helps.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Jan 13, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

incorrect password

Hi David and welcome to Tenforums.

Are you logging in with a Microsoft Account on both systems?

simrick, Jan 13, 2016
Thema:

incorrect password

1. incorrect password - Similar Threads - incorrect password

2. Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect: Can't log into PC. Windows 10Changed password on Microsoft website via phone and also via "I forgot password" on pc log in screen.Both changed successfully, but when trying to log into computer, says password is incorrect.Tried activating hidden administrator account, but...
  3. Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect: Can't log into PC. Windows 10Changed password on Microsoft website via phone and also via "I forgot password" on pc log in screen.Both changed successfully, but when trying to log into computer, says password is incorrect.Tried activating hidden administrator account, but...
  4. Unable to access Pc windows 10- password incorrect

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Windows 10 says password is incorrect it isn’t

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 says password is incorrect it isn’t: Hello,Since last evenimg, whenever I start my pc it goes into the automatic repair mode it doesn’t go into windows even if I turn safe mode on. Every option except for start-up repair and start-up settings which don’t do anything ask me to log in my microsoft account....
  6. Windows 10 says password is incorrect it isn’t

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 says password is incorrect it isn’t: Hello,Since last evenimg, whenever I start my pc it goes into the automatic repair mode it doesn’t go into windows even if I turn safe mode on. Every option except for start-up repair and start-up settings which don’t do anything ask me to log in my microsoft account....
  7. Windows 10 says password is incorrect it isn’t

8. Windows VPN says incorrect password nit it’s correct

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows VPN says incorrect password nit it’s correct: I have been trying to get windows vpn working. It reports incorrect password. I’ve looked for days trying everything but no luck. Why won’t it take my Microsoft credentials?...
  9. Windows VPN says incorrect password nit it’s correct

Windows VPN says incorrect password nit it’s correct: I have been trying to get windows vpn working. It reports incorrect password. I’ve looked for days trying everything but no luck. Why won’t it take my Microsoft credentials?...
  10. I have a Win10 and a new Win11, "The password you entered for your device is incorrect,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a Win10 and a new Win11, "The password you entered for your device is incorrect,...: I have a Win10 Home Single Language 64-bit and a new Win11 Home Single Language 64-bit, Problem is I can't login mg microsoft credentials on my new machine. its prompting "The password you entered for your device is incorrect, Please try again."...