Windows 10: Incorrect size after cleaning up a filerepo folder

Discus and support Incorrect size after cleaning up a filerepo folder in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello ! Got an issue with my laptop over here. It's an Asus ROG...and no, i seriously doubt that asus forums would help me, been there in the past.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sand, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Sand Win User

Incorrect size after cleaning up a filerepo folder

Hello !

Got an issue with my laptop over here. It's an Asus ROG...and no, i seriously doubt that asus forums would help me, been there in the past.
    It came with a 120 GB NVME SSD alongside a 1TB HDD.
    As time passed, space kept clogging up on C from .NET, Visual Studio, SQL Server and the usual apps ( i keep NO games on C: and all of the programming apps and technologies aforementioned require me using the C: drive), so...
    tonight i decided i need some space
    I was at 20+ GB free...
    Then i noticed in
    i had quite some space (close to 26 GB) used with nv*.inf* folders (basically full drivers from previous nvidia installs)
    Since a clean install on nvidia drivers didn't actually clean those 26 GB, i turned to trusty PowerShell and a bit later i shrinked it down to less than 3 GB total ( just moved old version drivers folders to the 1TB drive).

Now i'm left dumbstruck as the total FREE space, expected to be around 45 GB...is actually a bit under 27 GB.
    Can someone explain this ?
    I sure can't. Or is it in windows world that basic math doesn't work ?
    I did check after i moved them the folder's size.
    The 1 TB drive does infact show it's "gained" those 20+ GB..but C: sure as .... didn't lose 20.

TL;DR version:
    Start with 120 GB SSD with over 20 GB free (23 iirc).
    Move over 22 GB from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository to the 1 TB drive (old nvidia installers drivers folders)
    Expect 40-45 GB free, notice infact it's close to 27 GB free only.
    Help ?

P.S. : It's my 1st post in these forums, hope i didn't break anything.

:)

2. Windows 10 displays more App storage than actual!!

Probably incorrect info or something's left out. Even the old installed programs list in Control Panel never showed the proper sizes for software.

To clean up unused files run the Disk Cleanup utility.

TreeSize Free executed as admin will tell you which folders are taking up maximum space on your system.

RobertJWin, Sep 19, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Disk Clean Up does NOT clean Wins 10

After showing hidden files and folders and System operating files, if you select all the files and folders in File Explorer then right click and select properties does it show 7.91GB as the size amount.?

Checking the latest preview build this amount matches what is shown in Disk Clean-up but does not on my public build. (more in Disk Clean-up than is actually in the file location)

neilpzz, Sep 19, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Sand,

Welcome to the 10Forums *Smile

In order to help you, we need information about the folders in your C folder.
    Please run WinDirStat. You may be able to figure it out on your own, but if you can't please expand the folders as much as possible towards the folder being the largest (outside of WinSxS).

Thema:

1. Incorrect size after cleaning up a filerepo folder - Similar Threads - Incorrect size cleaning

2. Incorrect size of mi partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect size of mi partition: Hello,I have recently bought an asus zenbook. I have found that the size of my partition "C" is nos correct. My hard disk is about 512 Go.In "Disk Management" on the top part of the screen, I have :- 3 small partitions, between 200 MB and 950 MB for recovery process - 1...
  3. How to clean up WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to clean up WindowsApps folder?: Hi,I have a strange situation: analyzing the space on C: I saw that some apps that I had uninstalled still exist in the windowsApps folder and even old versions of some apps are there taking up space.At first I tried to reinstall the app and remove it but the space didn't...
  4. Toolbar Icons Incorrect Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Toolbar Icons Incorrect Size: Almost 3 years ago I reported an issue with toolbar icons being too large:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enlarged-toolbar-icons-on-the-external-monitor/7c225271-ba9f-4023-9f02-fdeb0688f28cI'm back. I'm on a totally different computer, different dock...
  5. Incorrect folder views after setting up a few custom icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect folder views after setting up a few custom icons: Hi all, my first post here. Let me just say I've been using computers since ZX Spectrum and I've been using all Windows versions since 3.11 daily. I work as embedded SW&HW engineer and am quite familiar with the OS. There are a lot of descriptions of similar problems on...
  6. Taskbar icon sizes after reboot display incorrectly

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icon sizes after reboot display incorrectly: Win 10 LTSC v1809 bad - [img] good - [img] (preferred) What can I do? Thanks! 143542
  7. Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size: My onedrive folder 91gb. I completely synced it on disk D. When I try to check size of onedrive folder - it shows only 37gb! Hovewer, used space on disk D is 91gb. How can I be sure that onedrive works well and all of my files on my disk? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  8. Incorrect folder size on just some folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect folder size on just some folders: When I right-click and hit "properties" the folder says its total contents is 2.70 GB in size with 1,927 Files. However, if I open the folder, highlight all the folders contained in it, and then hit "properties," the total size comes to 32.3 GB with 2,255 files. The second...
  9. Disk clean up do not clean Windows.old folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk clean up do not clean Windows.old folder.: Disk clean up do not clean Windows.old folder. I am finding a driver is there, by name IntcDAud.sys. Here it is 439kb and the same is there in Windows\system32\drivers also. Though I am not worried as space occupied is very less, I wanted to know, why clean up is not deleting...
  10. After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly: I had a problem before the holidays which this group identified correctly as long-term corruption and I solved the issue with a clean 10 install. All now great except...I had to go into the Users/Media path to replace a saved Chrome history file and noticed that the...