Windows 10: Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists

Discus and support Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As title says I'm wanting to know if there's a way to increase the amount of items can be stuffed into a taskbar jumplist. My reason is, I've used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bucky, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Bucky Win User

Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists

As title says I'm wanting to know if there's a way to increase the amount of items can be stuffed into a taskbar jumplist.

My reason is, I've used the jumplist feature in Windows 7 for Steam to give quicker access to some of the options you can only access by right-clicking the tray icon (i.e., set friends status to online/away/offline, open settings, server browser, screenshots, etc.) using these settings:

Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists [​IMG]

In Windows 7 all of these options were displayed in the jump list with the last launched game at the top, in Windows 8/8.1 it seemed that they lowered the number of jumplist items by 1, as I no longer had the most recent game at the top, in Windows 10 Tech Preview, it was the same as Windows 8 until a recent build which redecorated all of the jumplists.

Now I'm left with these options:

Thanks!

:)

Bucky, Jul 8, 2015

2. Increase # of Items in Taskbar Jump Lists (JumpListItems_Maximum in registry does not do anything)

First, let me point out that this question has already been asked and addressed for many people with the same issue at: Windows 10 Jump list

But, that solution (setting JumpListItems_Maximum in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced) did not work for me on any computers on our domain. It worked perfectly for other computers I've tried it on that are not
    on this domain. This leads me to believe that perhaps this is due to a Group Policy setting affecting our domain that is preventing this new registry setting for working.

I had posted to that thread, but Microsoft Moderator, Sherry Bel, suggested I start a new topic due to the specific nature of my problem.

I manage the Group Policy settings for our domain and can't for the life of me figure out what might be interfering. I don't believe I have set any policies that should affect desktop or Start menu personalization. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Colin

GraniteStateColin, Jul 8, 2015
  3. bmaloneGH Win User
    Increase # of Items in Taskbar Jump Lists (JumpListItems_Maximum in registry does not do anything)

I also had issues with the JumpListItems_Maximum registry value not being applied on my Windows 10 PC. What I did to fix the issue was one of two things.

1) my user did not have admin rights, so I was going into regedit as an administrator and that might have made the changes I had made to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER not apply correctly.

2) Because of this, I instead added the JumpListItems_Maximum DWORD to the HKEY_Users\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

To find out which of the HKEY_Users folders to apply the DWORD to, Look through the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList to find the correct SID (Look for ProfileImagePath).

bmaloneGH, Jul 8, 2015
  4. unkellsam Win User

Yeah, its a shame, they seem to have removed the feature for customizing the number of items in the jump list. In 7 and 8 you could do it from the taskbar settings or directly in the registry. The same registry mod didn't work for me in 10:

Manually in Registry Editor

1. Open the Start Menu, then type regedit in the search line and press enter.

2. In regedit, navigate to: (See screenshot below)HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    3. In the right pane of Advanced, right click on Start_JumpListItems and click on Modify. (See screenshot above)

4. Select (dot) Decimal. (See screenshot below)
    5. Enter how many (0 to 60) recent items you want displayed in Jump Lists, then click on OK. (See screensho above)
    NOTE: The default number to display is 10.

6. Close Regedit.

unkellsam, Aug 6, 2015
  5. wpcoe Win User
    On my computers, both Win10 Home and Win10 Pro have a default value of 25 in the registry, but in fact, the taskbar only shows a maximum of 10.

wpcoe, Aug 6, 2015
  6. unkellsam Win User
    Yep, the registry entry is useless in Windows 10. It's also pretty sloppy that Microsoft didn't clean up useless registry keys from older versions of Windows.

unkellsam, Aug 6, 2015
  7. bibbis Win User
    So there's no hope? :/

bibbis, Aug 12, 2015
  8. Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists

Hi

I canmake a small update here.

I haveinstalled a fresh version of Windows 10 Enterprise. This version, do not havethe Registry key that’s called "Start_JumpListItems". It’s a version that’s downloaded from MSservers and its still the same version that they host today.

Thismeans, they have cleaned up the old Register Keys (I assume you have upgradedfrom Windows 8 or old preview version of Windows 10 and that’s the reason youstill see it whenever it do nothing).

I havebeen in touch with MS tech support and they are just focusing ont that I missthe "Start Menu" tab under "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties"but obviously MS decided to skip this menu in the last seconds, and alsochanging/remove the registry key that handles this settings.

I can seeseveral guides out there how you change this "Number of recent items todisplay on Jump list" for Windows 10 but I simply assume these are madebased on the preview version for Windows 10 and not the sharp.

It’s sobad for me, who normally work with +20 excel sheets as pinned. So bad that Iwill go back to Windows 8.1 because of that.

Sorry that I couldnt help to solve the problem.

Rasmuspersson, Aug 13, 2015
  9. wpcoe Win User
    With Win10 they have also linked the jump lists for the Explorer icon in the taskbar with the Quick Access display in Explorer. I disabled the showing of recent files and folders in Quick Access in Explorer, and I lost them from the task bar Explorer icon jump list as well.

wpcoe, Aug 14, 2015
  10. unkellsam Win User
    It's pretty unfortunate when they take away good options in newer versions of Windows. I hope they bring this back in near future updates.

unkellsam, Aug 21, 2015
  11. xpaydayx Win User
    This thread just made me want to punch a baby. Good grief I'm so frustrated with Windows 10 wtf seriously.

xpaydayx, Aug 21, 2015
  12. unkellsam Win User
    It would literally take a Microsoft programmer less than 30 minutes to reimplement the code and package an update. That's the most frustrating part.

unkellsam, Aug 21, 2015
  13. kconover Win User

I'm not sure this will help, but I upgraded my laptop to Win10 and my desktop is still on Win8. I had set my Taskbar jumplists to 20 on my desktop Win8.1 machine, and the automatic syncing synced this setting to the laptop I just upgraded to Win10. So you might be able to create an account on some Win8 machine, set the jumplists there, and then sync this to you new Win10 machine.

kconover, Sep 5, 2015
  14. unkellsam Win User
    Are you getting 20 items on your jump list? I don't think the new taskbar is capable of that setting. I upgraded from 8.1 with that setting and only have 10.

unkellsam, Sep 5, 2015
  15. kconover Win User
    Yes, I'm getting 20. I was going to increase from 15 (my prior max on my laptop) but found the syncing from my desktop increased it to 20. I also found that it synced back the other way, causing the taskbar on my desktop to autohide like my laptop which I didn't want on my desktop, though, so I turned off the syncing.

kconover, Sep 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists - Similar Threads - Increase Number Items

2. Windows 11 - Increase Number of Items in Jump List File Explorer Pinned to Task Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Increase Number of Items in Jump List File Explorer Pinned to Task Bar: I've got Window 11 Pro. I have File Explorer pinned to the Task bar. I've added to the jump list by navigating in File Explorer to the desired folder, clicking the three dots at top - beneath address bar, and selecting Pin to Quick access. This works - until all available...
  3. Windows 11 - Increase Number of Items in Jump List File Explorer Pinned to Task Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Increase Number of Items in Jump List File Explorer Pinned to Task Bar: I've got Window 11 Pro. I have File Explorer pinned to the Task bar. I've added to the jump list by navigating in File Explorer to the desired folder, clicking the three dots at top - beneath address bar, and selecting Pin to Quick access. This works - until all available...
  4. Jump List Populates Old Items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  5. Jump List Populates Old Items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  6. How to increase the number of Jump List items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to increase the number of Jump List items in Windows 10: Windows 10 by default displays 12 items in the Taskbar Jump Lists. In Windows 7 you could change this number via Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, Now this is no longer possible. Increase number of Jump List items in Windows 10 If you want to change or increase the number of...
  7. Increase recent items list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Increase recent items list: I would like to increase the size of the recent items list. I find this recommendation in several p0laces: Note: By default 10 most recent items are shown in Jump List for any application. You can however, change the number from default 10 to something else. How to change...
  8. Recently opened items not appearing in jump lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Recently opened items not appearing in jump lists: The recently-opened items are not appearing in start menu jump lists despite the correct setting (see sceenshot). Any advice? Thanks. [img] 42013
  9. Jump List Items not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump List Items not Opening: Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get...
  10. Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information Jump Lists are lists of app specific tasks or items you can quickly open or get to for every day usage. Jump Lists...