Windows 10: Increase partition size

Discus and support Increase partition size in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Had 8.1 then downloaded 10, unfortunately when I originally installed 8.1 I made my C partition too small and it's almost full all the time. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Linkdeutscher, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Increase partition size

Had 8.1 then downloaded 10, unfortunately when I originally installed 8.1 I made my C partition too small and it's almost full all the time.

Is there anyway to increase the size?

Also I want to reset my PC right now since it's gotten extremely sluggish for some odd reason and I can't see any thumbnails for many things despite trying loads of stuff suggested on the web.

When resetting will I get any option to change the partition size?

:)

Linkdeutscher, Feb 8, 2016

2. Windows 10 "Can't update system reserved partition"

Hi Selzer,

It seems a minimum partition size is the issue, or at least it was for me. I don't know which partition software you tried, but did you try any other brands of Disk Partition software? I used AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 5.6 to resize the
    partition. I recall that I couldn't directly increase the system partition E:/ size and the messages implied it couldn't increase the size. So, at first thought I would not be able to change the size, period. Then I thought to try reducing a different partition
    size by 20GB and then went back to increase the system partition E:/ and it did it!

From that point all went smooth.

Thom

ThomasNoble, Feb 8, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Update Continues to Fail/Windows Update Continues Install Attempts 0xC1900101-0x20017

I have tried to extend the size of the Recovery Partition using the Easeus Partition Master but it will not allow me to extend the size of that partition. It would appear because the partition is a reserved automation by Windows it will not allow it to
    increase the size.

futuristic23, Feb 8, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Increase partition size

Welcome to TenForums, Linkdeutscher.

There are many ways to increase the size of your C partition but all are subject to the existing layout and constraints of the disk on which it resides. Can you post a screenshot of how Disk Management displays the disk in question, or otherwise give more info on ALL partitions currently on the disk in question?

Word Man, Feb 8, 2016
  5. lmaneke Win User
    You will have to have 2 partitions on your disk, and the second partition must be unallocated in order to merge them together.

The only way to merge if you are considering reinstallation is to boot from the installation disk, deleting all partitions, recreating partitions for the system and reinstalling Windows. There is a step by step forum on here somewhere, which you could follow.

lmaneke, Feb 8, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    *Eek I'm amazed that you can make these assertions without having seen OP's disk layout and type (MBR or GPT), OP having only revealed that they have a desktop upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10!

Word Man, Feb 8, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep. Need to see this to offer help:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2016
  8. Increase partition size

Increase partition size [​IMG]

Linkdeutscher, Feb 8, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can move whatever you have on E: drive to F: drive, delete the partition for E: drive, then expand the C: drive partition into the empty space.

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2016
  10. There is no delete volume option, only shrink.

And I can't format it either for some reason, it says disk is in use.

Linkdeutscher, Feb 11, 2016
  11. lmaneke Win User
    I only quoted that if he considered reinstalling Windows using the Windows install media. And the merging of partitions aren't that much different between mbr and gpt. But that's what I do personally. If others have better solutions then cool

lmaneke, Feb 11, 2016
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    You can't delete or format the E: volume because it contains the pagefile. Presumably it was moved there because of the shortage of space on C:. You would have to move it to F: first. Performance will be best with the pagefile on the system partition so you should allow adequate space for that when resizing C:.

LMiller7, Feb 11, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

Increase partition size

14. How to move it to F?

Linkdeutscher, Feb 11, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Right click on the Windows (Start) Icon, click on system.
    Advanced System Settings in the column on the left.
    Settings button under Perfomance under the Advanced Tab.
    Click on advanced tab again. Under virtual memory, click change.
    Uncheck the block for "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" if it is checked.
    Then highlight each drive and set the options you want.

Increase partition size [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Feb 12, 2016
Thema:

Increase partition size

1. Increase partition size - Similar Threads - Increase partition size

2. PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition: Hi there,as many others I got the error 0x80070643 for Windows 10 KB5034441 which prevented me from installing the windows updates. Yesterday, I tried to tackle this issue and found out that in order to fix this problem Microsoft provided a script that increases the size of...
  3. PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition: Hi there,as many others I got the error 0x80070643 for Windows 10 KB5034441 which prevented me from installing the windows updates. Yesterday, I tried to tackle this issue and found out that in order to fix this problem Microsoft provided a script that increases the size of...
  4. PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Increase partition size/space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Increase partition size/space: Does anyone know how I can increase the size of my partition C? I have 2 partitions that I don't use much and I want to take 100GB from each and add it to my partition C. submitted by /u/jasonslone [link] [comments]...
  6. Increase the size of the efi partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Increase the size of the efi partition: How does one increase the size of the efi partition for multibooting different operating systems. The only methods I have found are doing it when you are installing windows. Or paying for a bullshit program to accomplish 30 seconds of work. I tried to do it from the linux...
  7. how can I increase the size of hard drive partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can I increase the size of hard drive partition?: how can I increase the size of hard drive partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-hard-drive/0a87d537-d3ab-4212-a6a6-9f0cd708933e"
  8. Centos / RHEL Guests increasing size of XFS partitions

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Centos / RHEL Guests increasing size of XFS partitions: Hi folks Whether on Real or Virtual RHEL or CENTOS system using XFS you might want to increase the size of the root (/) or /home partitions without having to re-create the whole VM / system over again with all the attendant install stuff etc. (As well as on a VM it works on...
  9. Increasing Partition Size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increasing Partition Size: I have a 1 Terabyte hard drive that contains 2 partitions. C: which has 906 GB free space and D: which has 7.65 GB free space. I want to extend D:. I shunk C: 200 GB and ended up with a third partition and found no way to extend d: into this free space. How do I extend...
  10. How to increase the System Reserved Partition size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to increase the System Reserved Partition size: I am having Dual Boot PC XP and Windows 10 on different hard disk. Windows 10 have been upgraded from Windows 7 but the System Reserved Partition on Windows 10 remained 100 MB ( 30 MB is free space ), wherein if we clean install the Windows 10 then System Reserved Partition...