Windows 10: Increase space on NAS drives (non destructive)

Discus and support Increase space on NAS drives (non destructive) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi folks I know a load of people on these forums use some sort of LINUX on NAS systems whether dedicated or "home built" for file sharing / media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Nov 24, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Increase space on NAS drives (non destructive)

Hi folks

I know a load of people on these forums use some sort of LINUX on NAS systems whether dedicated or "home built" for file sharing / media serving.

A very common file system used these days is on those systems EXT4. Typically this reserves between 5% and 10% for "Super user" or root when the file system is created.

If you are simply using these drives as data drives e,g attached as external USB HDD's etc then you don't need to reserve any space for "super user" and say you have large HDD's you can reclaim a decent amount of space by setting this back to 0%.

So say the hdd is /dev/sdb

simply as root (or sudo) issue command tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sdb

You don't need to umount the hdd nor will you lose any data - even on RAID configurations.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 24, 2016

2. how to free up disk space to enable windows 10 update.

c drive available space is only 3.2 GB out of 28.2 GB. To increase disk space pen drive having 28.9 GB is available. Can I use it to increase disk space and upgrade windows 10.

SibnathSen, Nov 24, 2016
  3. Runtime Broker in build 10586.29 on PC uses 67% of CPU usage with NAS/LAN impact

Hi Arostino

I have the WD "My Cloud" nas (Linux based). Could not resolve runtime broker until I removed all NAS links in Libraries and also removing any mapped drives to the NAS. Today I added mapped drives to my other win 10 PC's folders and the runtime broker is
    ok. I believe any mapped drives or libraries to non-indexed folders will cause runtime broker to misbehave. This was not the case before build 10240, so something has changed. Also if I try to re-add nas folders to libraries it will say can not link to non-indexed
    folders, but currently I have forgotten how to get around that problem.

JK of Seattle, Nov 24, 2016
Thema:

Increase space on NAS drives (non destructive)

1. Increase space on NAS drives (non destructive) - Similar Threads - Increase space NAS

2. Sudden Space Increase On Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sudden Space Increase On Hard Drive: Hi,I was editing a video when i suddenly noticed that my hard drive's storage went from ~350Gb to 465Gb. I have restarted my PC but its still here, so I'm curious on why this happened. It is not a bad thing at all, I literally wanted to buy a new one as I was running out of...
  3. Sudden Space Increase On Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden Space Increase On Hard Drive: Hi,I was editing a video when i suddenly noticed that my hard drive's storage went from ~350Gb to 465Gb. I have restarted my PC but its still here, so I'm curious on why this happened. It is not a bad thing at all, I literally wanted to buy a new one as I was running out of...
  4. Sudden Space Increase On Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Space on iSCSI NAS drive not available in Windows after adding drives to NAS appliance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Space on iSCSI NAS drive not available in Windows after adding drives to NAS appliance: I recently added extra storage space on my Synology RS1219+ NAS appliance that is connected to a Windows 2016 server with iSCSI. The appliance now shows the extra space, but the mapped drive in Windows still shows the original size for the disk. I cannot expand it like this....
  6. Space on iSCSI NAS drive not available in Windows after adding drives to NAS appliance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Space on iSCSI NAS drive not available in Windows after adding drives to NAS appliance: I recently added extra storage space on my Synology RS1219+ NAS appliance that is connected to a Windows 2016 server with iSCSI. The appliance now shows the extra space, but the mapped drive in Windows still shows the original size for the disk. I cannot expand it like this....
  7. Increase C drive Space

Increase C drive Space: Is there a way to add a USB drive space to the C drive on Windows 10. Only have 32GB on C drive so cannot update Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-c-drive-space/65fb40ff-9391-4c4f-bb83-01992918f36a
  8. NAS With Non-Destructive Write Directories (to foil ransomware)

NAS With Non-Destructive Write Directories (to foil ransomware): Are there any NAS devices for home use which support what I'll call non-destructive write directories? So if I set up such a directory and write file XYZ it is written but does not destroy earlier instances of XYZ. If I read XYZ I get the latest instance written. If I want an...
  9. Increase C drive space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increase C drive space: How do I increase C drive space from D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-c-drive-space/4fc39454-1d83-4007-9bfd-8e577eb00f64
  10. non-destructive downgrade to windows 8.1 from disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    non-destructive downgrade to windows 8.1 from disk: Windows 10 is completely broken now. It won't even start. It started with Cortana and my start menu not working, then I couldn't access store, or make a new account. I tried checking the disk but no problems. I downloaded classic shell to get a working start menu, but I...