Windows 10: Increase time of folder auto-expanding when dragging in File Explorer

Discus and support Increase time of folder auto-expanding when dragging in File Explorer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, this will definitely require going into the registry editor. It's a small, but annoying hassle for me. When I'm dragging something in File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by losedows10, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Increase time of folder auto-expanding when dragging in File Explorer

Hi, this will definitely require going into the registry editor. It's a small, but annoying hassle for me.

When I'm dragging something in File Explorer, too often, just by moving the cursor over some folder, the stupid folder will expand, causing me to have to scroll down (sometimes over a page) to get to the folder I want.

So, how do I increase the time from when a folder auto-expands on mouseover? Right now it seems to be in a hair trigger. I guess I'm moving my mouse too slowly, but it frequently expands some random folder I was over.

EDIT:
    SOMEWHAT RELATED TO THAT:
    How safe is using the method below for Windows 10 to keep all your zip files in a folder from showing up in your Navigation pane?
    Zip Folders - Enable or Disable Windows Explorer View - Windows 7 Help Forums

Thanks! Great board, guys. Loved the sevenforums before my update too.

:)

losedows10, Sep 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 File Explorer - Disable: Open folder on hover

When I drag files or folders from the right window to some folder in the tree on the left: Hovering over the folder I want to copy into triggers it to auto-open/expand/unfold.

This results many times in my files get copied into the wrong folder.

Is there any way disable this auto-open/expand/unfold?

It's really unworkable for me like this.

(And the main reason I'm not using a Mac is that on Windows we were at least able to disable all the stupid "Intended by design" stuff.)

iWantToCustomize, Sep 30, 2016
  3. PappyL Win User
    Stop explorer from auto-expanding folder tree upon mouse hover

This seem to be a reoccurring theme with different versions of Windows. There are fixes for the previous versions I can't find a fix that works with Windows 10.

While managing my files with explorer, when I drag files or folders from the right to some folder in the tree on the left, or between two open explorer windows, hovering over the folder which I want to copy/move into causes the tree to auto-expand, showing
    all the sub-folders. This happens if I pause my mouse cursor over the folder in the tree for only a short length of time.

Some of my folders have a lot of sub-folders inside them. This auto-opening makes the tree jump to a sub-folder, and my files get copied or moved into one of these sub-folders. I then have to find them and put them where I intended. This is "if" I notice
    the file(s) did not go where i initially attempted.

Is there a way to stop windows from doing this entirely or to change the length of time before it auto-expands? This is very annoying and slows me down tremendously. I need a fix that actually works for windows 10. TIA

PappyL, Sep 30, 2016
  4. Increase time of folder auto-expanding when dragging in File Explorer

Anyone know the solution? Thanks.

losedows10, Jun 25, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Do you mean dragging a file over a folder in the Navigation Pane?

It takes a noticeable short time for the folder to open.

Increase time of folder auto-expanding when dragging in File Explorer [​IMG]

There is a mouse hover time in the registry as shown here:
    Mouse Hover Time - Change - Windows 7 Help Forums

This is described as affecting behaviour for other things such as tooltips - not just this, so be careful.

dalchina, Jun 26, 2017
  6. Hi. Unfortunately, I've already tried that, and MouseHoverTime doesn't seem to cover the Nav Pane folder expansion.

Frankly, the folder expansion (through drag-and-drop pass-by) seems to not happen all the time. And it triggers it even if I'm over it for a fraction of a second (basically on my way to another folder). Don't know why. Thanks.

losedows10, Jul 6, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I've found using the right-mouse button and menu choice of Move or Copy when dragging helps prevent the Folder opening when not desired.

Berton, Jul 6, 2017
  8. Increase time of folder auto-expanding when dragging in File Explorer

Sorry, didn't notice your post. Never noticed a difference when I do so.

Anyway, it seems like when I'm creating a .url file from Firefox/Chrome by dragging from the URL bar icon is when it seems to popup fastest. I would be happy if it would just stop doing it that quickly when creating URL files. Not sure if this will clarify matters. Also, can't seem to edit the original post anymore. Thanks.

losedows10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Increase time of folder auto-expanding when dragging in File Explorer

1. Increase time of folder auto-expanding when dragging in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Increase folder auto

2. File Explorer: expand to current folder not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: expand to current folder not working: Windows 11 Pro 22H2In file explorer the "expand to current folder" oèètion is enabled but it is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-expand-to-current-folder-not-working/c8d23e8c-de8e-4a5b-baf4-5b0251883c2d
  3. File Explorer: expand to current folder not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: expand to current folder not working: Windows 11 Pro 22H2In file explorer the "expand to current folder" oèètion is enabled but it is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-expand-to-current-folder-not-working/c8d23e8c-de8e-4a5b-baf4-5b0251883c2d
  4. Auto-expanding in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto-expanding in File Explorer: Windows 11 Pro x64 v10.0.22621.755.My File Explorer for some odd reason has started opening every folder as soon as I click on one of my drives. Used to be that when I did that clicked on the drive name, not the + sign next to it, it would show the folder list in the...
  5. Auto-expanding in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto-expanding in File Explorer: Windows 11 Pro x64 v10.0.22621.755.My File Explorer for some odd reason has started opening every folder as soon as I click on one of my drives. Used to be that when I did that clicked on the drive name, not the + sign next to it, it would show the folder list in the...
  6. File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane: I want the left pane folder to open and show subfolders when I click on the filename, instead of having to click the little carat to the left of the folder to get this to happen. Windows 10 version 20H2. 181372
  7. Target directory expands when using drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Target directory expands when using drag and drop: Ordinarily, this isn't a problem, but I am moving a lot of files at this time. I drag the file over to the target, and often, just as I turn loose of the mouse button the target directory expands and my file lands in one of the subdirectories. I then waste time trying to...
  8. Auto expand explorer LEFT pane window

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto expand explorer LEFT pane window: Hello! Is there a way to have windows explorer auto expand the folder your in on the LEFT pane as well as the right? Thank you! Nancy 131903
  9. Explorer lagging when dragging files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Explorer lagging when dragging files: So I noticed a couple months back that Explorer started lagging when I drag a file anywhere, even within the same window. I click, start to drag, and it immediately lags for about a second or two, then suddenly moves to the spot I indicated. Does it with right-click drags,...
  10. Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders: IIRC this is an old bug but I can't remember what the solution is, basically I download a bunch of video files (TS or MKV primarily) and then drag them into a folder where I have a muxing bat file, for some reason explorer is hanging/not responding on certain files since...