Windows 10: Increasing Partition Size

Discus and support Increasing Partition Size in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 1 Terabyte hard drive that contains 2 partitions. C: which has 906 GB free space and D: which has 7.65 GB free space. I want to extend D:.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JamesJoey, Jan 25, 2018.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Increasing Partition Size

I have a 1 Terabyte hard drive that contains 2 partitions.
    C: which has 906 GB free space and D: which has 7.65 GB free space.

I want to extend D:. I shunk C: 200 GB and ended up with a third partition and found no way to extend d: into this free space.

How do I extend d:??

James

:)

JamesJoey, Jan 25, 2018

2. Windows 10 "Can't update system reserved partition"

Hi Selzer,

It seems a minimum partition size is the issue, or at least it was for me. I don't know which partition software you tried, but did you try any other brands of Disk Partition software? I used AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 5.6 to resize the
    partition. I recall that I couldn't directly increase the system partition E:/ size and the messages implied it couldn't increase the size. So, at first thought I would not be able to change the size, period. Then I thought to try reducing a different partition
    size by 20GB and then went back to increase the system partition E:/ and it did it!

From that point all went smooth.

Thom

ThomasNoble, Jan 25, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Update Continues to Fail/Windows Update Continues Install Attempts 0xC1900101-0x20017

I have tried to extend the size of the Recovery Partition using the Easeus Partition Master but it will not allow me to extend the size of that partition. It would appear because the partition is a reserved automation by Windows it will not allow it to
    increase the size.

futuristic23, Jan 25, 2018
  4. JamesJoey Win User

I imagine I need to delete d: first??

JamesJoey, Jan 25, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    That would be the easiest way if you have nothing in it or you can copy the data elsewhere. You can't extend partitions to the left so you need to delete it or move it.

If you can't delete it you can use a third party tool like minitool partition wizard to shuffle it to the left but if D is empty (or you don't care what is in it) just delete it and make new simple volume using Disk Management. That would be much faster.

6. Samuria Win User
    If you post a screenshot from disk managmentwe can advise you should delete the new parition move d to the left then you can grow it

Samuria, Jan 25, 2018
  7. cereberus Win User
    Just use minitool partition wizard free as LX07 says. It can extend to left as well as right.

Windows disk management will often not shrink C Drive by much even if plenty of spare space due to immovable files. Minitool moves them with punity.

cereberus, Jan 25, 2018
  8. JamesJoey Win User

I deleted D:.
    I shrunk C: and then created a new partition in the unallocated space.
    Now I'm unable to increase C: or remove the unallocated space.
    I'd like to shrink D: by half but when I do I'm still not able to increase C:.

Any ideas?
    Increasing Partition Size [​IMG]

JamesJoey, Jan 25, 2018
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    You can't remove unallocated space, because it is, by definition, unallocated. Do what LX07 and Cereberus are suggesting and get the free Minitool. Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free You will be able to shrink "D" and expand "C" easily and safely. Download and install it, and someone here will walk you thru the few simple steps.

f14tomcat, Jan 25, 2018
  10. JamesJoey Win User
    I'm using Active@ Disk Image's Partition Manager.
    I'll install MiniTool and check it out.

JamesJoey, Jan 25, 2018
  11. JamesJoey Win User
    I installed MIniTool Partition and it seems it won't let me increase the size of C: beyond the 400 or so GBs.
    Every time I decrease D: the unallocated space gets larger to fill.

JamesJoey, Jan 25, 2018
  12. Samuria Win User
    It's simple move d to the right to take up all the unallocated space then you can grow c no problems

Samuria, Jan 25, 2018
  13. JamesJoey Win User

Wow! That was easy!
    Dragged D: over and was able to increase C:.
    I've been trying to figure out a way to get rid of the unallocated space for a long time.

Thank much,
    James

JamesJoey, Jan 25, 2018
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    *Thumbs See! That was easy! Just drag it all around where you want it. Glad you got that fixed. Save that app, MiniTool. It has tons more features you may want down the road. Cheers! *Smile

f14tomcat, Jan 25, 2018
  15. Cast Win User
    The disk manager offers an option called Exterder volume.This would be to create a disk or dynamic partition, to bring the free space to another, once the partition has been achieved "Do not remove the disks that were merged". When you are not sure, it will be better to use the tool suggested above.

Thema:

1. Increasing Partition Size - Similar Threads - Increasing Partition Size

2. PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition: Hi there,as many others I got the error 0x80070643 for Windows 10 KB5034441 which prevented me from installing the windows updates. Yesterday, I tried to tackle this issue and found out that in order to fix this problem Microsoft provided a script that increases the size of...
  3. PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition: Hi there,as many others I got the error 0x80070643 for Windows 10 KB5034441 which prevented me from installing the windows updates. Yesterday, I tried to tackle this issue and found out that in order to fix this problem Microsoft provided a script that increases the size of...
  4. PC not booting after size increase of Windows RE partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Increase partition size/space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Increase partition size/space: Does anyone know how I can increase the size of my partition C? I have 2 partitions that I don't use much and I want to take 100GB from each and add it to my partition C. submitted by /u/jasonslone [link] [comments]...
  6. Increase the size of the efi partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Increase the size of the efi partition: How does one increase the size of the efi partition for multibooting different operating systems. The only methods I have found are doing it when you are installing windows. Or paying for a bullshit program to accomplish 30 seconds of work. I tried to do it from the linux...
  7. how can I increase the size of hard drive partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can I increase the size of hard drive partition?: how can I increase the size of hard drive partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-hard-drive/0a87d537-d3ab-4212-a6a6-9f0cd708933e"
  8. Centos / RHEL Guests increasing size of XFS partitions

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Centos / RHEL Guests increasing size of XFS partitions: Hi folks Whether on Real or Virtual RHEL or CENTOS system using XFS you might want to increase the size of the root (/) or /home partitions without having to re-create the whole VM / system over again with all the attendant install stuff etc. (As well as on a VM it works on...
  9. Increase partition size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increase partition size: Had 8.1 then downloaded 10, unfortunately when I originally installed 8.1 I made my C partition too small and it's almost full all the time. Is there anyway to increase the size? Also I want to reset my PC right now since it's gotten extremely sluggish for some odd...
  10. How to increase the System Reserved Partition size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to increase the System Reserved Partition size: I am having Dual Boot PC XP and Windows 10 on different hard disk. Windows 10 have been upgraded from Windows 7 but the System Reserved Partition on Windows 10 remained 100 MB ( 30 MB is free space ), wherein if we clean install the Windows 10 then System Reserved Partition...