Windows 10: Indexing not running

Discus and support Indexing not running in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While trying to do a search in outlook 2016, i got the notice "something happened and search cannot be executed" or something like that. A quick google... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ch3vr0n, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Ch3vr0n Win User

Indexing not running

While trying to do a search in outlook 2016, i got the notice "something happened and search cannot be executed" or something like that. A quick google led to the indexing service. I launched services.msc and looked at "Windows Search". It's set to the default "delayed automatich launch" but it's not running. When i click to start manually i get

Cannot start Windows Search-service on local computer.

Error 5: access denied

Pretty sure it worked just fine before the anniversary update. Only thing i can possibly see that impacting is a setting within O&O Shutup 10 but i can't find what it is, if there is one or an issue with either one of the following registry entries i downloaded from here

Add_Take_Ownership_to_context_menu
    Enable_NTFS_long_paths

i checked out Index - Windows Search Service (step 2, value is set to 0); step 3 part 4 simply won't work. The config folder is missing, but as soon as i click "new>folder", the new folder gets deleted before i can even entire "Config" for filename.

in eventviewer there's a ton of error messages relating to the failed start of windows search

I'm the sole user of this newly built PC.

I'm guessing it's because O&O disabled cortana? Anyone any clues?

:)

Ch3vr0n, Aug 13, 2016
  2. M U R Win User

Search - Indexing not running

Thank you for your help!

This was not solving the problem. I deleted the new admin account and the reboot in the end did it, indexing is working again.

M U R, Aug 13, 2016
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Search - Indexing not running

Hi,

We've noticed the post has been inactive for  more than 48 hours now. May we ask if you still need assistance regarding your concern? 

Looking forward to your response.

Ferdz Amp, Aug 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Indexing not running

Hi, ref. Windows search: see
    [FIX] Windows Search Service Failed To Start In Windows 8.1
    for a possible solution. (ok, Win 8.1, should be the same in '10).

If you are concerned about registry edits you've made, you may be able to use a system restore point if you enabled system restore after the upgrade (which as usual disables it).

Noting your comments about Shutup.. can you search Settings without an error message?
    Does Cortana appear to work without error messages or unusual prompts?

Highly recommended- disk imaging to protect your PC, Windows, your data and your sanity against unexpected problems- even hard disk failure.
    E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage
    You can then restore your PC to an imaged previously working state without technical help.

dalchina, Aug 13, 2016
  5. Ch3vr0n Win User
    That link: Error 2

My issue: Error 5 different error

Not going to dig around in the register for a different issue on a different OS

Ch3vr0n, Aug 13, 2016
  6. Maybe all you need is an update to O&O Shutup.

OO ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10
    Version 1.3.1359
    • Compatibility with Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607 Redstone 1)
      – Wi-Fi-Sense is no longer offered, so deactivating this function is now obsolete
      – Various group policies were changed according to their validity, which so far has had no impact on O&O ShutUp10
      – Cortana can no longer be deactivated over Windows settings: O&O ShutUp10 can still do this ;-)
    • Deactivation of OneDrive is no longer recommended with limitations, rather it is no longer recommended
      – Some customers use OneDrive for data images so that a deactivation means they no longer have access to important functions
      – To avoid deactivating in error, we have updated the recommendation level to “not recommended”
    • Tooltips explain the meaning of the icons for recommendation levels
    • The Info page now also displays the Windows 10 Version (Threshold 1, Threshold 2 and Redstone 1) to improve communication with our Support Team
    • Various bug fixes

Slartybart, Aug 14, 2016
  7. Ch3vr0n Win User
    worth a try, i've got build 1358. Will get back to you

**edit** tried and failed. Still error 5

attached also the log for sfc /scannow. Cmd said some corrupt files but unable to repair, though wouldn't be the first time it's a false positive

Ch3vr0n, Aug 14, 2016
  8. Ch3vr0n Win User

Indexing not running

Update, had a chat with the real MS support people. Checked out services, set the uac slider to stage 3 (1 from disabled). Nothin Final answer "in-place upgrade". Yeah, right. Not going to reinstall windows atm don't have the time. So i opted for advanced startup > restore > chose a point a few days ago. Now the error changed to 1053. Indexing still disabled but weirdly enough it's (partially?) working in outlook

1053 didn't answer the start or driver command in the correct manner ?

** edit ** tried a different post to delete the contents of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search, reboot, its back to error 5. I give up.

If anyone else has idea's to fix this, or knows a third party tool that windows/outlook can use to index i'd love it. Just can't afford to do the in-place upgrade right now

Ch3vr0n, Aug 14, 2016
  9. Please restart your machine if you have not already done that after the OO shutup upgrade.

I don't recommend things like OO shutup - they often introduce issues that don't exist otherwise. I saw the upgrade and thought - give it a shot.

Are you opposed to removing it? You can make changes to Settings that probably give you the same privacy (maybe more - since MS can change anything that OO shutup affects), but won't break things like UAC.

MS even changes things people are used to setting - registry mods might work on one build, but the next major build might have different keys or value references.

Your CBS log: the cannot repair files are all links - nothing major.

See if this helps

DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

Run SFC again afterwards and post the log

Slartybart, Aug 14, 2016
  10. Ch3vr0n Win User
    O&O is portable and I've done nearly a dozen reboots so far to no avail. I'll report back later, could be a while depending on when I have the time to do what your link said and in-place upgrading won't be until next weekend. Can't have my system down during the week.

Ch3vr0n, Aug 14, 2016
  11. Ok, post something when you're ready to work on the box again.

Slartybart, Aug 14, 2016
  12. Ch3vr0n Win User
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth => no corruption
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth => no corruption

guess an in-place upgrade will be the only option

Ch3vr0n, Aug 16, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Indexing not running

Before you try the Repair Windows method, can you remove your OO shutup app completely from your computer?? I would try that 1st. Then if you can remove it, reboot, then run CCleaner Free program and run its Registry scan for errors. Once you do remove it, either by the Repair Install or Windows Program, I would suggest to NOT re-install that program. Your choice of course. Here is some links..
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

OldMike65, Aug 16, 2016
  14. Ch3vr0n Win User
    as i said O&O is portable, it's not active until you launch the exe. You launch it, make your selection, shut it down and reboot. Fixes are permanent. Other than that tool. Any "manual guides"? I know in the early days of the launch there was an image with 15 pages worth of settings

Ch3vr0n, Aug 16, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    The registry programs that you got HERE would Not cause any of the issues you have now. I run them myself, along with many others on here.

OldMike65, Aug 16, 2016
Thema:

Indexing not running

1. Indexing not running - Similar Threads - Indexing running

2. Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,,...: Last week onwards, I looked for the screenshot below. Restarted many times but there was no result.Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,, and restart the Windows search services in the Services.msc.I have done the following...
  3. Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,,...: Last week onwards, I looked for the screenshot below. Restarted many times but there was no result.Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,, and restart the Windows search services in the Services.msc.I have done the following...
  4. Windows 11 Indexing Is Paused But Still Running in Background, Constant CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Indexing Is Paused But Still Running in Background, Constant CPU Usage: Inside of Indexing Options, the number of items indexed continues to increase yet says that indexing is paused:Indexing never finishes, eventually just stopping itself sometime after 100,000 items out of roughly 600,000 items. Even after stopping, Windows Search Filter Host...
  5. Windows 11 Indexing Is Paused But Still Running in Background, Constant CPU Usage

Windows 11 Indexing Is Paused But Still Running in Background, Constant CPU Usage: Inside of Indexing Options, the number of items indexed continues to increase yet says that indexing is paused:Indexing never finishes, eventually just stopping itself sometime after 100,000 items out of roughly 600,000 items. Even after stopping, Windows Search Filter Host...
  6. Indexing is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing is not running.: When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on....
  7. Indexing is not running.

Indexing is not running.: When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on....
  8. Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help: Earlier the Windows Search was running fine, but now when I search in Windows Explorer, it shows 'Search indexing was turn off. Turn indexing back on.' When I click here Indexing Options opens with a message 'Indexing is not running.' I try to open 'Searching Windows' option...
  9. Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help

Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help: Earlier the Windows Search was running fine, but now when I search in Windows Explorer, it shows 'Search indexing was turn off. Turn indexing back on.' When I click here Indexing Options opens with a message 'Indexing is not running.' I try to open 'Searching Windows' option...
  10. Windows 11 indexing overheating laptop and running incredibly slow

Windows 11 indexing overheating laptop and running incredibly slow: Found similar topics but none that cover both. My laptop is running ay 90-98° when idle - I'm pretty sure it's Windows Search Indexer, as it was showing over 50% CPU usage when I first noticed the issue. I started rebuilding the index 5 days ago and it's still only at 82K...