Windows 10: Indexing of a second drive

Discus and support Indexing of a second drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi There, I am having indexing problems in that only my C: drive gets indexed and my data drive D: gets ignored. This means that none of the data on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevenson53, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Indexing of a second drive

Hi There,
    I am having indexing problems in that only my C: drive gets indexed and my data drive D: gets ignored.
    This means that none of the data on D: is included and as this is where my Outlook files are stored, they too don't get included.
    I have tried rebuilding the index with and without Outlook and/or D: and I always get the same 4983 items so I know the drive is being ignored.
    I have seen another thread like this but the problem didn't seem to get resolved.
    Can anyone help please?
    Thanks
    Paul

:)

stevenson53, Mar 21, 2017
  2. ElBluf Win User

"Search as I type" only works with C:\?

I am having the same issue. I have rebuilt my search index multiple times and have made sure that my second hard drive is set to be indexed to no avail.

ElBluf, Mar 21, 2017
  3. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Try to add your secondary drive in the indexing options.

Type in the Indexing options in the start search box and click on Indexing options from the search bar results.

Click on Modify on the Indexing options window. (Enter

Check the secondary drive (which you need to fetch the results from the search box) and click on OK button. (If the secondary drive is not visible, click on Show all locations, enter the administrator credentials if prompted))

Now, try to search and check if you are able to fetch the results.

Also make sure you take ownership of all the folders on the second drive.

Restart then it should hopefully start working.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 21, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Indexing of a second drive

dalchina, Mar 21, 2017
  5. Thanks for that but I don't think it is the Permissions.
    The D: drive is shown in the indexing list.
    Permissions are identical to that of a second machine which has no problems.

stevenson53, Mar 22, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, clearly this is a problem some have been reporting from at least Win 8 on. I can confirm my 1Tb SSHD partitions can be indexed.

Was your data drive formatted and configured on your current PC?
    Please post a screenshot of Disk Management. Thanks.

Also confirm chkdsk runs ok on it.

Presumably indexing of the file types on the drive is not disabled

Indexing of a second drive [​IMG]

and the drive is not encrypted.

dalchina, Mar 22, 2017
  7. Hi Dalchina,
    Thanks for helping!
    This drive was formatted under another motherboard. I have all of the data backed up so easy to reformat and restore if you think that will help.
    Attached the Disk Management screen shot.
    I ran CHKDSK and got the attached. It came up with an unspecified error.
    Also see a shot of Indexing.
    I don't think the drive is encrypted and cant find anything in System to say it is.

Cheers
    Paul

stevenson53, Mar 22, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Ok, you said you had disk D:. The problem is it's B:. If you search you'll find reports of that problem.
    E.g.
    search - Windows 8 isn't searching/indexing secondary hard drives? - Super User

Besides that, based on the chkdsk result I'd recommend you format it then copy everything back anyway and run chkdsk again just to be sure.
    (If you're using disk imaging, restoring the image will be easy).

I'd also run Crystal Diskinfo (free) on it to check SMART params.

dalchina, Mar 22, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    I'm only posting to follow this thread - I don't know the answer.

I've had the same issue since upgrading from 8. On numerous machines (and clean installs) Windows Search will only give results of C.

Specifically I index .mbr files (using the Plain Text Filter - they are text files).

If they are on C volume I can search the contents of these files. If they are on D I can't.

@dalchina seems to be the indexing master. Hopefully we can both get it sorted out. *Smile

10. dalchina New Member
    @lx07 - Hi, strange- but you're not alone as internet reports say as I'm sure you know.

I can confirm that I can index text file content on partition H which is on my GPT SSHD (SSD = system disk).

Both disks came with this laptop & I clean installed Win 10 on it.

I'm not an expert really, and I avoid Windows search except for relatively trivial use - see my new question in General Questions on indexing- sthg I finally decided to look more closely at.

dalchina, Mar 22, 2017
  11. Sorry dalchina, I meant B: drrrrr!
    i will try your ideas over the weekend to see if they work.
    i did post the same question on Microsoft Community and they just said reinstall! Not very helpful really!
    cheers

stevenson53, Mar 23, 2017
  12. Hi Dalchina,
    ok I reformatted the drive and loaded the data files back onto it and chkdsk came up clean.
    i also installed Crystal but not sure what I am looking for. The health status was Good although the C: drive was Good 100%.
    indexing still didn't work though.
    any other ideas please?
    thanks

13. dalchina New Member

Ok, the drive seems good.

Is it now D: ?

dalchina, Mar 23, 2017
  14. It was always b: *Smile I just got the letter wrong!

15. So I tried an image of my C: drive from January which I know worked perfectly well.
    Indexing is now up to 10,000+ and slowly going up. Some search results are now finding files.
    What is strange is that if I turn off Outlook, the indexing seems to stop and say that it is complete. I turn Outlook on and it starts again. Outlook is indexing too.
    Anyway, I will leave it on overnight and sees what happens.
    My best friend has definitely been my weekly images!

Thema:

1. Indexing of a second drive - Similar Threads - Indexing second drive

2. Indexing does not index boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing does not index boot drive: I have a boot drive and a backup drive cloned from the boot drive for emergencies. Indexing only finds the backup drive, which is overwritten by the clone program's boot drive backup weekly. If I modify indexing settings to index only the C boot drive, the backup H drive is...
  3. Indexing does not index boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing does not index boot drive: I have a boot drive and a backup drive cloned from the boot drive for emergencies. Indexing only finds the backup drive, which is overwritten by the clone program's boot drive backup weekly. If I modify indexing settings to index only the C boot drive, the backup H drive is...
  4. Indexing does not index boot drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. One Drive Indexing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Indexing: One Drive for Business does not appear in this list for indexing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-indexing/563298ee-94df-4f49-aa32-953c6eb046b0
  6. Index a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Index a network drive: Hi all I have a 2TB network attached storage NAS drive on my home network. I can't get Windows 10 to index mapped drives on the NAS for fast search results. Can anyone help please - there must be a simple solution, searching is such a basic thing. Thanks Running 64...
  7. Search indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive: In my setup, I have Windows and programs running from an SSD (c:) and my media on an HDD (d:). After a reboot, I can access those files by name in the Start search, but within a few days it either forgets the location (incorrectly listing c:\music instead of d:\music) or...
  8. Index Mapped Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Index Mapped Drives?: Can Windows 10 finally index mapped/network drives? 7546
  9. Drive indexing slow?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Drive indexing slow?: If I click on This PC it takes 15 minutes before it will show me my drives. It didn't do this when I had an install over a jumbled win 7. Now I did a complete fresh install of 7 and cleared all my drives and then upgraded. Now that I started to load things it seems like it is...
  10. Indexing of a second drive (New Point)

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing of a second drive (New Point): In the recent topic Indexing of Second Drive Dalchina said:"..... can you confirm that your problem is that you have specified folders to be indexed on your 2Tb drive, and that you can do that in Indexing Options in the Control Panel, but that when you add such locations, the...