Windows 10: Indexing Options vanished (after 10586 in place repair install?)

Discus and support Indexing Options vanished (after 10586 in place repair install?) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I don't use Windows search normally, but today had reason to look for Indexing Options in the CP. No sign. Yes, things are being indexed. Yes, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, Dec 26, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Indexing Options vanished (after 10586 in place repair install?)

Hi, I don't use Windows search normally, but today had reason to look for Indexing Options in the CP. No sign.
    Yes, things are being indexed. Yes, the service is running.

So could I invoke Indexing Options some other way?
    control.exe srchadmin.dll
    - nothing.

Now when I looked for srchadmin.dll, I only found this in Windows.old. Really?

control.exe <path to windows.old...>\srchadmin.dll opened indexing options.

I'm puzzled.. is this dll missing a consequence of having done an in place upgrade install?

Thanks!

:)

dalchina, Dec 26, 2015

2. OneDrive is missing from my list of folders that can be indexed

For some reason, OneDrive is missing from my list of folders that can be indexed. It used to be on the list, but it's vanished. I ran the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter, but it didn't detect any problems.

SteveMuzik, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Catbill Win User
    "windows is still indexing files. This might not be everything yet." windows 10

When I search from the taskbar, a message says "Windows is still indexing files. This might not be everything yet."

When I look in Indexing Options, a message usually says that indexing is up to date. However, I just looked and now it now says "Indexing speed is reduced due to user activity." Note that CPU usage is not high - below 50%.

What gives? Why does it say in one place that indexing is still going on while in another place it says that indexing has been completed?

Why does it say that user activity is reducing indexing speed when CPU use is relatively low?

Catbill, Dec 26, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Are you looking for this?

Indexing Options vanished (after 10586 in place repair install?) [​IMG]

Cliff S, Dec 26, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, yes.. missing from CP.. and so is the dll as above.

I know it used to be there... I remember using it before I did the repair install.
    And it works with that command using the dll in the Windows.old folder.

(I can put the dlls - 32 & 64 bits- back in place manually.. that's not the issue. And out of curiosity I'm running sfc /scannow)

dalchina, Dec 26, 2015
  6. Steve C Win User
    I was going to use the repair install to fix a problem - I didn't realise the repair install can cause more problems!!

Steve C, Dec 27, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I've done a lot of repair installs since the beginning of the insider program(ok I test the OS hard*Smile), and have never seen something like this. It must be a one time fluke(I would hope anyhow).
    @dalchina, sorry, I have to ask: Are you using any kind of theme patcher? I loved to use them myself, but they are more or less are broken in Win10, but they can also break system links, like Reliability History, right click menu in the start menu, for example, and some snap-ins.

Cliff S, Dec 27, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

No, nothing untoward- just Aeroglass.

So here's how to fix this problem:
    1. Symptoms
    - Windows Search missing from Windows Features
    - Indexing Options missing from Control Panel
    - srchdmin.dll and srchadmin.dll.mui are missing from System32 and SysWow64 folders.
    - However, the indexing service is running, and indexing appears to be working.

Note that SFC /SCANNOW and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth do NOT solve this problem and no problem is indicated when these are run.

2. Solution
    disable and re-enable the feature as follows from an admin command prompt:
    dism /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"SearchEngine-Client-Package"
    dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"SearchEngine-Client-Package"
    (Plaudits, garegin, sevenforums).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Indexing Options vanished (after 10586 in place repair install?) - Similar Threads - Indexing Options vanished

2. In-place repair not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In-place repair not working: Unable to do in-place repair in my Windows. I dont everything that I can to recover my current windows since its not performing properly. I want to perform in-place repair as my last resort but it is not loading at all. Im on the download process and its not moving. When I...
  3. Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally: I am confused... After problems with the 2021-06 cumulative update for x64 machines, I had to uninstall the latest quality update. Now having different problems (no sound devices detected), I wanted to try an in-place/repair install. Using the Media Creation Tool, I...
  4. Indexing options

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Indexing options: how to reset the index settings back to factory default? In the modifying section, I have selected all the folders which give me more than the required results all the time. I am not asking how to rebuild it, but to reset only indexes. Please provide a solution. Try...
  5. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair Install (in place upgrade) question: Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive which gets rid of bloatware as well. Im doing things differently this time though. It has a some useful software pre...
  6. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...
  7. Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade: Will a repair installor inplace upgrade remove any of my software? I have photoshop on my computer and have lost the cd, so Id rater not have it removed. Do you think this will happen?...
  8. Performed in place windows repair install

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performed in place windows repair install: So, I did an inplace windows repair install. I've done this plenty of times before, however, this time.... I lost a significant amount of storage space on the C Drive. I performed a disk cleanup there afterwards and was only able to ditch 25 gb. I'm still down roughly about...
  9. Performed in place windows repair install

in Windows 10 Support
    Performed in place windows repair install: So, I did an inplace windows repair install. I've done this plenty of times before, however, this time.... I lost a significant amount of storage space on the C Drive. I performed a disk cleanup there afterwards and was only able to ditch 25 gb. I'm still down roughly about...
  10. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: How to: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use reset Windows. Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling...