Windows 10: inf files and PNF files differ; normal?

Discus and support inf files and PNF files differ; normal? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Using command prompt or desktop.ini from cmd.exe I have found files in the windows\inf folder that have a conflict. Not all, but a lot of files have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AFRet96, Dec 20, 2016.

1. AFRet96 Win User

inf files and PNF files differ; normal?

Using command prompt or desktop.ini from cmd.exe I have found files in the windows\inf folder that have a conflict. Not all, but a lot of files have the same name with a different extension (inf or PNF). The inf files are dated prior to the laptop build but the PNF files have the current date. Is this normal or is my machine wacked?

:)

AFRet96, Dec 20, 2016

2. A service installation section in this INF is invalid

Thanks for identifying the inf file it also worked for me with my Nokia 1520. I think that you still get the same error if you try to update it through Device Manager because it uses the 'PNF' file. This is created from the 'INF' file the first time it
    is run and so if there is a 'PNF' file there it will use that rather that use the original 'INF' file. I think that if you deleted the 'PNF' file then it would update ok through Device Manager. I've been retired now for over twelve years and this is something
    that I am sure I remember from way back when Windows started to use these files. Thanks for jogging my memory.

FrancisHorton, Dec 20, 2016
  3. USB Disk drive no longer works on Desktop, works fine on MS Surface

I could not give it a Drive Letter, the device did not show up in Disk Management. Also the .inf and .PNF files were in the Windows\INF directory.

JKevinBrady, Dec 20, 2016
  4. inf files and PNF files differ; normal?

Quite normal. Every driver has both an INF and PNF file (same filename, different extensions). INF is a text based file. It tells Windows what devices the driver supports and how to install the driver package (destination directorries to copy files, registry modifications needed, etc). INF is a text based file you can open with notepad. PNF is the compiled version of the INF.

ComputerGeek, Dec 20, 2016
Thema:

inf files and PNF files differ; normal?

1. inf files and PNF files differ; normal? - Similar Threads - inf files PNF

2. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some general driver inf file questions: I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the .inf file contain a NTamd64 but doesn't require a NTia64 section. Isn't NTia64 what I want, considering that it is for...
  3. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some general driver inf file questions: I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the .inf file contain a NTamd64 but doesn't require a NTia64 section. Isn't NTia64 what I want, considering that it is for...
  4. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Touchpad or mouse INF file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad or mouse INF file: Hello,I'm trying to make a WinPE-based bootable media but find that touchpad or mouse no longer works with it. I think I need to insert the right INF file into it but am having difficulty finding the INF file. I tried "msmouse.inf" but it didn't work and is also quite...
  6. Touchpad or mouse INF file

Touchpad or mouse INF file: Hello,I'm trying to make a WinPE-based bootable media but find that touchpad or mouse no longer works with it. I think I need to insert the right INF file into it but am having difficulty finding the INF file. I tried "msmouse.inf" but it didn't work and is also quite...
  7. New filter directives in the INF file do not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New filter directives in the INF file do not: I am trying to write a filter driver from UMDF templates using extension class and the new filter directive://------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Version]Signature = "$Windows NT$"Class = %ClassName%ClassGuid =...
  8. net1ic64.inf file Request

net1ic64.inf file Request: can anybody give me net1ic64.inf file Please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/net1ic64inf-file-request/62216ee0-6154-4003-b0f4-c9ee853396b7
  9. inf file access

inf file access: WIN 10 home 64 I have an .inf file in windows/sys32/driverstore/.... can't get access to update a couple of lines to enable driver recognition on my DAW console I have installed a file unlock app, still can't get sys access what are my options?...
  10. inf file not found error

inf file not found error: When i install the amd software it shows inf file not found and stops win10 pro AMD R5 M230 Pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inf-file-not-found-error/8139e499-d773-468d-8719-669652e73e73

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .pnf .inf files windows