Windows 10: Infected by chrome-updates.win phishing site

Discus and support Infected by chrome-updates.win phishing site in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, My computer has been infected by "https://chrome-updates.win/s.html" site. It can be caused a program which is not safe for my computer I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by cookies1, Jun 24, 2017.

1. cookies1 Win User

Infected by chrome-updates.win phishing site

Hi,

My computer has been infected by "https://chrome-updates.win/s.html" site. It can be caused a program which is not safe for my computer I installed. When I opened Chrome or a new tab, it directs me to this address. At first, that page opened with nothing, just white page and after I had some inappropriate ads on my internet sites even on Chrome new tab favorite page. I think when that site opened, ads became active. Then I scanned my computer with Kaspersky, Zemana and Adwcleaner and I didn't see any ad site, but it directs me that site again. Also there is difference now, because I have a warning text in the site (I have screenshot), I think this is some of protection. But I'm troubled because of opening that direct site again. I think it is fake Chrome update virus. Kaspersky and Zemana scans were clean but Adwcleaner found some things and I deleted them and took screenshots, I can send them. Even I deleted that infected stuff, I have that problem again. How can I delete that thing? Sorry for my bad English, if you didn't understand, I can take care more.

Thanks for your helps.

:)

cookies1, Jun 24, 2017

2. Ransomed?

On Dell Inspiron N7110 Windows 10 (from 7) with Chrome.

Went to Ebay and browser froze with windows style problem and then with pop up saying infected corrupted etc, call this number with problem code. Said MS Essential Securities expired, 6000+ virus/infections, suspicious activities & MS services stopped.
    I choked and Right Solution Expert did fix it remotely, whatever fixes they did I dont pretend to understand. Thought Defender was working.

Who are these people? Any valid relation with MS? Or Did I get phished and skinned? They have a NY telephone but sounded like India

Seemed valid but it was a big sell and I feel took. Any thoughts?

C.R. Charest, Jun 24, 2017
  3. Memory dump Analysis

You link is broken and forwards to a known phishing site. Try it again

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jun 24, 2017
  4. soulcairn Win User

i had the same same exact trouble too, it was detected by cloudfare, same address and same automatic redirect...
    i heard this type of things infect registery..? is there steps to manually remove it..?

soulcairn, Jun 24, 2017
  5. aref Win User
    Touch VPN was causing the issue for me, though I've heard it can come from any VPN browser extension.

6. Thank you so much for mentioning the Touch VPN. I was having the exact same redirect issue and was panicked that it would take me all night to scan and solve. I removed the Touch VPN extension from Chrome and the issue was INSTANTLY solved. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

stinkerbells1, Jun 24, 2017
  7. xxxdepy Win User
    Touch VPN and Betternet VPN is currently known to cause this. If you have either of them remove it.

I maintain a list of compromised extensions, so if you find any active ones in your browser then remove it to get rid of adware -

List of Malware and Problematic Extensions on Chrome / Chromepeeps

A little more on this specific issue
    Redirected to https://chrome-updates(.)win/s(.)html in Chrome New Tab / Chromepeeps

Good thing is that Cloudflare itself is blocking the URL since it was known to send phishing. Still it is recommended that you remove the extension until it is fixed by the developers.

Report the extension on the Chrome webstore as well by selecting "Report abuse" when removing the extension off your browser.

xxxdepy, Jun 24, 2017
  8. Infected by chrome-updates.win phishing site

Wow guys! Nice. Had the same issue. Removed the VPN, instantly solved.

Funny thing is that I got the VPN plugin for like a week or 2 and suddenly after that I got all the ads

poldergangster, Jun 24, 2017
  9. cookies1 Win User
    Oh! Eventually we understood why we had this problem, because of VPNs. If you have ANY VPN EXTENSION, delete ALL OF THEM and you will suffer from that stuff. Thanks for your helps. *Smile

cookies1, Jun 24, 2017
  10. XeDragHD Win User
    Made an account on this site just so I could reply on here letting you guys know Betternet VPN is 100% causing this. I can't speak on the other VPNs but after reading this thread I removed Betternet from chrome and the ads and the chromeupdates.win tab is no longer coming up.

I guess this is just a recent thing considering it just started happening to me and this thread was made a few hours ago?

XeDragHD, Jun 24, 2017
  11. xxxdepy Win User
    Yes, it just started happening around 12 hours ago. And a lot of VPN extensions have been affected. Recently on Chrome webstore many big extensions are being targeted by attackers and were compromised. Now the attackers have come with something new, targetting VPN extensions.

xxxdepy, Jun 24, 2017
  12. Just posting to confirm that uninstalling Betternet VPN extension fixed this problem for me.

frickeroni, Jun 24, 2017
  13. 5YI
    5yi Win User

I made this account just to thank you all. I thought my PC was infected but it was Touch VPN all along!

14. after unistalling the hotspot shield browser extension the problem was solved for me aswell

robert1196, Jun 24, 2017
  15. SM7
    Sm7 Win User
    Joining the "just made an account to thank you guys" party. I had a bunch of VPN extensions for some odd reason and removing all of them got rid of the problem.

A HUGE thank you to the person who suggested removing it.

Thema:

1. Infected by chrome-updates.win phishing site - Similar Threads - Infected chrome updates

2. Sites context load slower on Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sites context load slower on Chrome: About a week or so ago, sites I visited used to load very fast, almost instantly, yet then suddenly they stopped doing so. Any tips? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sites-context-load-slower-on-chrome/1542bd02-3487-4e4b-a5d7-326a24a275b5
  3. PHISHING

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PHISHING: To day I receive e-mails from :McAfee Support <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> , McAfee Support <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> and McAfee Support <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>with PHISHING :Your Antivirus Has Expired, You are not...
  4. PHISHING or Not

PHISHING or Not: J’ai reçu un e-mail en anglais alors que mon compte est en français provenant de l’adresse suivante *** Email address is removed for privacy *** concernant « service agreement ». Est-ce un e-mail de Microsoft ????Merci...
  5. Google Chrome Site issues

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome Site issues: I've had this problem for several months I believe but just never really took the time to figure it out. Full disclosure, I do not work for T-mobile, nor am I advertising for them. I'm simply using their site as an example. Basically, I would go to this site, fill out the...
  6. Phishing

Phishing: I keep getting emails saying "Note to self" with my Hotmail profile that are phishing. I am reporting them but obviously cannot block them. What has happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/phishing/c5ec6333-f368-4957-a64f-7964bcef2589
  7. Google Chrome issue with a roadway site

in Windows 10 Support
    Google Chrome issue with a roadway site: Hey. Ever since this most recent update to Windows 10, I can no longer get an active map on Cruz511.org on Chrome browser. The map shows up but does not populate. It works on firefox and on my husband's Windows 8 chrome browser. Can't think of any other reason it suddenly...
  8. Web Site & Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Web Site & Chrome: This is an image of a draft web site page (index.html) online via Chrome. Problem is the table is central not to the left and it wont go to where it actually is. I tried it in Edge, its was perfect, I tried it in IE, it was perfect, so why is Chrome showing it off to the...
  9. Chrome pop up. Is it for real or Phishing

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome pop up. Is it for real or Phishing: I've just had a pop up apparently from Chrome requesting me to click on links from the following address http(es,colon,slash,slash)support.google.com/chrome/?p=help&ctx=keyboard#topic=3227046 I am always dubious about being invited to click this or that as a necessity to...
  10. Chrome and Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Name Identical to Safe Sites

in Windows 10 News
    Chrome and Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Name Identical to Safe Sites: This is a Wordfence public service security announcement for all users of Chrome and Firefox web browsers: This variant of a phishing attack uses unicode to register domains that look identical to real domains. These fake domains can be used in phishing attacks to fool...