Windows 10: Initiative wants to help ransomware victims decrypt their files

Discus and support Initiative wants to help ransomware victims decrypt their files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Remember folks, having a backup/system image is still the best defense you can have for this kind of attack. System Image - Create in Windows 10 -... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Borg 386, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Borg 386 Win User

Initiative wants to help ransomware victims decrypt their files

Remember folks, having a backup/system image is still the best defense you can have for this kind of attack.

System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

This initiative wants to help ransomware victims decrypt their files for free

This initiative wants to help ransomware victims decrypt their files for free | ZDNet

The No More Ransom Project

:)

Borg 386, Aug 29, 2016

2. Zepto ransonware

Those appear to be the instructions provided by the malware creator for victims who are willing to pay the ransom. If you are having problems with the instructions, you may want to ask other victims who have already successfully gone through that process.
    There is an ongoing discussion in this
    topic
    where you can ask repost the above information. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.

Some ransomware victims have reported they paid the ransom and were successful in decrypting their data. Other victims reported they paid the ransom but the cyber criminals did not provide a key to decrypt the files, while others reported the key and decryption
    software they received did not work or resulted in errors. Keep this in mind if you are considering paying the ransom since there is no guarantee decryption will be successful.

quietman7 - MVP, Aug 29, 2016
  3. How to Decrypt *.cerber3 files?

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber Ransomware will be renamed with 10 random characters plus the
    .cerber (i.e. 2C1OlcaXdF.cerber, Ku7dYlcvkj.cerber) or .cerber2 extension (see

here
    ) appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named DECRYPT MY FILES#.vbs, DECRYPT MY FILES#.txt, DECRYPT MY FILES#.html.

The newest variant of Cerber Ransomware will have a .cerber3 extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named # HELP DECRYPT #.txt, # HELP DECRYPT #.html, and # HELP DECRYPT
    #.url.

Trend Micro released a
    Ransomware File Decryptor
    for victims of earlier Cerber infections but it has limitations...must be used on the infected machine, may take several hours to complete decryption, some files may be only partially decrypted.
    However, victims of Cerber Ransomware have reported the decryption tool does not work on cerber3 encrypted files.

In cases where a decryption tool does not work and you do not plan on paying the ransom, the only other alternative is to
    backup/save your data as is and wait for a possible breakthrough...meaning, what seems like an impossibility at the moment (decryption of your data), there is always hope someday there may be a potential solution so save the encrypted data
    and wait until that time. Imaging the drive backs up everything related to the infection including encrypted files, ransom notes and registry entries containing possible information which may be needed if a solution is ever discovered.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.

quietman7 - MVP, Aug 29, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

I was looking at that website the other day. It it very nice and has got a lot of useful information.

eLPuSHeR, Aug 30, 2016
  5. altae Win User
    Good site, thank you for the info even though I haven't fallen victim to a cryto locker yet. And because I regularly backup my data I highly doubt I'll ever become a victim. But I know a lot of people who should absolutely visit that site *Wink

altae, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Initiative wants to help ransomware victims decrypt their files - Similar Threads - Initiative wants help

2. Help from .vvwq ransomware attack - decryption required

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Help from .vvwq ransomware attack - decryption required: My computer has got affected with ransomware on 27-July-2022 creating .vvwq file extension to most files. I am not able to access these files.I reset my PC for the windows 11 reinstallation and ran one decryptor software "Emsisoft_Decryptor_for_STOP_Djvu_v1.0.0.5", but it...
  3. .ggwq ransomware file decryption with an online ID

.ggwq ransomware file decryption with an online ID: My Files are encrypted by .ggwq ransomware. I removed the virus but the files are still encrypted. How can .ggwq ransomware file be decrypted ? It is encrypted with an online ID / Online key. Please Help!...
  4. Ransomware gujd Decryption

Ransomware gujd Decryption: Hi .. My laptop was encrypted with ransomeware dujd virus. i attaching file details please help me solve this issue. thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-gujd-decryption/0ca25b93-9bf5-404b-8785-cc3014a0f595
  5. How do I decrypt .help/Phobos ransomware?

How do I decrypt .help/Phobos ransomware?: My Windows 10 PC was attacked by .help / Phobos ransomware. I do clean install of windows 10 in drive C and by this the ransomware now removed from system but now all files of all others drives are encrypted and I can't open it. The file name changed to "File name.id...
  6. Ransomware .mpal files decryption solution

Ransomware .mpal files decryption solution: Hi, My laptop running on Win10 has been infiltrated by a ransomware and all files have been encrypted and renamed with extension .mpal with a ransom text in every folder. I have managed to remove virus files through antivirus scan and also manually remove from registry but...
  7. How To Decrypt RANSOMWARE .KARL Files

How To Decrypt RANSOMWARE .KARL Files: hello, I am in big problem, i reset my windows , my C windows drive is cleaned, but there in 2 drives RANSOMWARE .Karl encryption is active, i tried many ways mentioned in youtube, and in some websites to decrypt or recover my data but failed, because i didn't found .karl...
  8. Ransomware decryption

Ransomware decryption: [ATTACH]Hi everybody! My computers are affected by ransomware jaic which its complete name is in the inline image above, scanned by Kaspersky lab. Does anybody know if there is a decryptor for this ransomware??? Thank you in advance...
  9. Shrug ransomware victim? How to retrieve your locked files for free

in Windows 10 News
    Shrug ransomware victim? How to retrieve your locked files for free: A new form of ransomware is being distributed through drive-by attacks, but victims can retrieve their locked files for free due to mistakes in the attack's code. Shrug uses a random key generation for each user -- but researchers at cyber security company LMNTRIX have...
  10. TeslaCrypt ransomware victims can now decrypt their files for free

TeslaCrypt ransomware victims can now decrypt their files for free: Victims of the widespread TeslaCrypt ransomware are in luck: Security researchers have created a tool that can decrypt files affected by recent versions of the malicious program. Surprisingly, the TeslaCrypt creators themselves helped the researchers. The tool can...