Windows 10: (inquiry) running win10 from a usb device

Discus and support (inquiry) running win10 from a usb device in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to know, on a scale of 1 to 10, for someone such as myself with limited computer knowledge, how hard would it be to run win10 from an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pathfinder, Oct 3, 2016.

1. (inquiry) running win10 from a usb device

I would like to know, on a scale of 1 to 10, for someone such as myself with limited computer knowledge, how hard would it be to run win10 from an external HDD. . or...possibly run another OS within the external*Shock

:)

Pathfinder, Oct 3, 2016

2. USB Connection showing "Fixed Disk" rather than "Removable Disk"

I re-installed Win10, and connected my GPS via USB, and the Win10 OS still categorizes the device as a "Local Fixed Disk". When connected to my Surface Pro3 running Win10, the GPS is categorized as a "Removable Device".

I then used the suggestions in Method 1 and Method 2, and the device drivers were installed in compatibility mode (Win7). Again, the Win10 environment sees the USB GPS device as a "Local Fixed Disc" rather than a "Removable Disk".

Why is it that my Win10 Surface Pro3 coming from Win8 sees the USB device as a removable disk and my Win10 desktop PC coming from Win7 defines it as a local fixed disk? I don't believe this is a Garmin problem.

artlindeman, Oct 3, 2016
  3. Toshiba Ext Hard Drive

Hi Mohan,

Thanks for reply. As Requested, win10 bld..10586.545, ver 1511. Run on HP Touch Smart 600. No trouble with other hard drives ( WD ). Toshiba hard drive runs on HP laptop running same win10 version. Also device not shown in device manager. When
    inserted in USB port dialogue box warning appears “ USB Device not recognised”. Hope you can help.....

Thanks again Tony

TonyWoodrye, Oct 3, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member
  5. Bree New Member
    Bree, Oct 3, 2016
  6. I keep hearing how good Linux is. thx for replies guys

Pathfinder, Oct 3, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    I prefer Windows, but I keep a bootable Linux Live USB handy as a useful trouble-shooting tool. You can install Linux from a Live USB, it's good for giving a second life to old XP machines incapable of running Windows 10.

Bree, Oct 3, 2016
  8. (inquiry) running win10 from a usb device

it seems intriguing running win10 from external. the main reason is I want to preserve what memory I have. currently 436GB out of 500GB. maybe I should buy a second external 1TB drive? the one I have now still has 950GB left

Pathfinder, Oct 3, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    It's not called 'memory' (that word should only be used for the installed RAM) - what you mean is disk space (or storage). There's a surprising amount of space you get back just by running Disk Clean-Up. Click its 'Clean up system files' button and see how much space old windows update files are taking up, for example. It also has a 'More options' tab where you can delete all but the last Restore Point (these can take up a lot of space).

Though don't clean up Windows Updates if you feel you'll ever wan to uninstall an update. or delete restore points if you may want to go back further than the most recent one.

Bree, Oct 3, 2016
  10. thx. ok so just now, after turned on the pc, I went to setup to boot from usb device finally. on the screen,

>options
    >choose other options
    >use a device
    >UEFI OS

so iam guessing the usb flash is now ready to be booted whenever I need to access it..otherwise, ill resume win10 normally by not choosing that option. hope I did ok

also, if wanted to change the boot option from usb flash to external HDD, how do I do that*Think

Pathfinder, Oct 3, 2016
  11. lx07 Win User
    I think you should investigate this issue rather than booting from an external drive. You can indeed boot from external drive fairly easily but it will run slower (somewhere between "a bit slower" and "incredibly almost unusably slow" - depending on if it is USB 2 or 3, the type of drive etc).

Better would be to run disk cleanup as @Bree said to reclaim some disk space said and then move some big documents onto your existing (nearly empty) external drive or just delete them if you don't want them any more. You may have some old games or videos you don't need on your main drive - they can be quite big.

Have a look at TreeSize Free to see if you can find any big files you don't want.

You can do both of course - boot from external drive and tidy up a bit *Smile

12. I run wise disk cleaner which does a better job at clearing away a lot of junk files. I do have treesize free, thx anyways mate*Party

Pathfinder, Oct 3, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

(inquiry) running win10 from a usb device

I use rEFInd as a bootloader. It will find any Windows (or other OS) on any attached drive (internal or external) and give you the option to boot from it. I have Windows on SD card and it even finds that and will boot (but it runs like a snail)...

Alternatively if you run bcdboot.exe the standard Windows loader will give you the option to boot from USB drive and just fail if you chose that option and it isn't plugged in. usb - How to run Windows 10 from an external hard drive? - Super User

14. good, will look into link. cheers.

Pathfinder, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

(inquiry) running win10 from a usb device

1. (inquiry) running win10 from a usb device - Similar Threads - inquiry running win10

2. Inquiry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inquiry: HOW CAN I SEND A MAIL FROM MICROSOFT WORD PAD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inquiry/4fb35062-267b-4ce2-be90-bedf25d19ee9
  3. Running windows 10 from USB device on this computer, and it wont update to a USB device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running windows 10 from USB device on this computer, and it wont update to a USB device: At some point the a windows 10 updated failed on this computer that was to difficult to fix at the time. As a work around I used a USB drive with a boot up copy of windows 10 1803 to start up and run this computer. I have been running this computer for two years this way and...
  4. manage USB devices within WIN10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    manage USB devices within WIN10: Im trying to capture analogy and digital videos from S8, Hi8. D8, mini-DV tapes. I bought a video capture device [Redgo S-video+Composite to USB; video device AV TO USB2.0] that works with several apps: camera, the devices own software (honestech HD DVR3.0) and PowerDirector...
  5. Firewire to USB win10 "unknown usb device"

Firewire to USB win10 "unknown usb device": I wanted to transfer some family videos from my old camcorder Pal MV790 miniDV to my MS surface book. I bought a firewire 4-pin to USB cable for this. After connecting it to the USB port the message said: Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed Double click...
  6. USB devices are overheating on Win10

USB devices are overheating on Win10: Hello, I have quite big issue for longer time with: 1 my USB devices 2 card readers interrupted after eg 10 seconds of work The thing is that on the same computer I have also Ubuntu and these devices work perfectly. No overheating. No interruptions. Always, without...
  7. Inquiry about upgrading OS from win10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Inquiry about upgrading OS from win10 home to pro: Am I going to lose my files and programs in my laptop when I upgrade from Windows 10 Home Single Language to windows10 Pro? How do I backup my files and programs? And how do I do the upgrading of my OS from win10 home to pro?...
  8. Attempting to install Win10 on a fresh disk from a usb device

Attempting to install Win10 on a fresh disk from a usb device: After seriously long waits I eventually see my fresh hard drive. I go ahead and attempt to install and find "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers and then click OK" I opened every folder on the USB drive and...
  9. Unable to install Win10 from Usb device (fixed)

Unable to install Win10 from Usb device (fixed): I recently bought a preloaded Windows 10 USB drive from Walmart, and plugged it into my new computer, and It boots, but won't install. I get to the part where you need to select the driver to install. When i opened "browse", and click the USB that Windows is on, I get an...
  10. inquiry on how to change BIOs to boot from USB drive

inquiry on how to change BIOs to boot from USB drive: I would like to know if possible -how to change BIOs to boot from USB drive. I have already seen the option when login, option to resume normally or other..and in advanced options the list includes: sys restore sys image recovery startup repair command prompt UEFI...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows to Go USB win10 rufus