Windows 10: Insane stuttering (audio and video), lagging..after WIN 10 AU

Discus and support Insane stuttering (audio and video), lagging..after WIN 10 AU in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I was running most games on my PC at High to Ultra pre Win 10 AU with stable FPS(mostly). I have got 4GB RAM, 2GB GTX 960 STRIX, 1TB HDD, i3. Not the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by starlightt800, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Insane stuttering (audio and video), lagging..after WIN 10 AU

I was running most games on my PC at High to Ultra pre Win 10 AU with stable FPS(mostly). I have got 4GB RAM, 2GB GTX 960 STRIX, 1TB HDD, i3. Not the ideal I know but I used to get 40+ FPS on most games almost always.
    Then comes the Anniversary Update and like the idiot I am, I instantly update it once its available (liked the new UI tweaks).
    I realised something was wrong when GTA V which used to run pretty smoothly at all ULTRA pre AU, started lagging and framedropping like crazy (read unplayable). Googled around a bit and found out something called CacheBoost that somehow mitigated the problem (it was a fix for GTA IV's memory leak, it also worked out in my case).
    But CacheBoost only worked for GTA V, games like Dying Light Enhanced Edition, Deux Ex Mankind Divided, Mafia 3 all lag like shit. Its like 30-40fps for 2-4 seconds and then UNDER 10 FPS for 2-3 seconds.
    The new Hitman game's performance was the last straw for me. I was able to play through the Training missions flawlessly and thought that maybe this game wouldn't be effected by the problem. WRONG. Enter The Showstopper mission and boom back to 8-10 FPS with 40+FPS thrown in between. So for fun I launched GPU Tweak II and took a screenshot. Almost 0% GPU usage, 0% GPU clock.....you get the gist, everything was abysmally low during the stuttering.

WHAT DO I DO? Shall I roll back to pre AU. If so what version is the most stable pre AU (as in the version no)?
    More importantly why is it happening?
    I read up and saw that I wasn't alone, lots of soutions ranging from disabling the XBOX DVR function, to Windows Tweaker. All tried and no luck.
    Also - all drivers are updated, cycled out using DDU
    Please help!!!

:)

starlightt800, Mar 24, 2017

2. Windows 10 Audio Stutter

After getting windows 10 I noticed in youtube videos, itunes, skype, and video games the audio stutters repeatedly. Sometimes it'll just randomly stop after an hour, but whenever i turn my computer of/put it in sleep mode and come back to it, the audio
    stuttering is back! I've tried many things, updating drivers, adjusting sound quality, etc. I don't know what else to do and am hoping someone has a solution to the INSANELY annoying issue. Thank you.

Stephen2898, Mar 24, 2017
  3. After the latest Windows 10 update Mouse lag and video stuttering

After the latest Windows 10 update my mouse lags and videos are unwatchable due to the stuttering issue.

Anybody have a fix?

Karl Platt, Mar 24, 2017
  4. Insane stuttering (audio and video), lagging..after WIN 10 AU

try running disk cleanup to get rid of all that junk that is left after updates and such.. this might help.. not entirely sure. i do remember someone having a similar issue after the update but doing this solved it due to all the junk being cleaned up.

BrandonR188, Mar 25, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Make sure the power profile is set to high performance, the update might have set it back to the default balanced.

swarfega, Mar 25, 2017
  6. Did both disk checkup annnnd its already on High Performance mode. One more thing, once the stuttering goes to normal FPS, the GPU usage, clock speed, etc all climb to 90%+.

starlightt800, Mar 25, 2017
  7. Arese Win User
    It really sounds like we're having the same problem.
    And I didn't even update to windows 10 anniversary update but made a clean install so pretty sure it's not related to the update or any junk left after the update.

CSGO FPS drops / Windows 10 with Xbox Game DVR disabled

And we don't even have the same graphic card. Something is up with windows 10

Arese, Mar 25, 2017
  8. Insane stuttering (audio and video), lagging..after WIN 10 AU

Windows 10 seems to be the culprit to me too. Will wait for a week more while looking for possible solutions. If I don't find one I will roll back to either Pre-AU Win 10 or Win 7 Ultimate, the latter having zero problems in the past.
    The only reason I'm reluctant to roll back immediately is idk if any of the games would be incompatible with earlier builds of Windows. Also, I am running a Plex Media Server so reinstalling, and setting it up again would be a pain. Is there anyway to roll back to a way older version of Win 10 w/o losing any app data and settings? Basically, leaving the non-Windows portion of C: drive intact?

starlightt800, Mar 25, 2017
  9. EDKWin Win User
    I have same/similar issue with my 1070 after upgrade from build 14393 to 15603. i tested several things remove/disable DDU/Drviers/DVR/Game Mode/After burner/RTSS. they did not fix my issue. it seems i must do clean install.

EDKWin, Mar 29, 2017
  10. GTAV ect uses 4.5GB of memory on my system but I have 16GB of Ram, the update may of required a little more ram to use as W10 for me right now in browser mode is 1.5GB in use.

Check your ram you have spare when playing a game, as if it is filling up it may be using your hard drive as ram which would cause major stuttering ?

RoadBlaster, Apr 2, 2017
  11. sygnus21 Win User
    The OP hasn't replied in over a week so I'm not even sure this thread is still active. That said, the biggest issue I see is an underpowered system...

Not an idea system for gaming. I'm also somewhat skeptical that GTA V ran on "ultra" pretty smoothly given the OP's system specs vs. the game's spec requirements - Grand Theft Auto V

As for pre and post Anniversary update, I can't say I've personally experienced a difference gaming wise and I game all the time. In fact I'm currently playing both Skyrim Second Edition and Dishonored 2 (second play through). However I've a much more powerful system than the OP. See system specs.

To answer the OP's question of why a performance dip, I don't know. But I do see an underpowered system.

My two cents.

sygnus21, Apr 2, 2017
  12. Well just put the Creators Update in & now the browser mode Ram usage is 1.7GB, proving 1 of my points

Maybe the creator of this thread should just defrag his 1TB hard drive with a good tool like Perfect Disk 14, might just work *Wink

RoadBlaster, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Insane stuttering (audio and video), lagging..after WIN 10 AU

1. Insane stuttering (audio and video), lagging..after WIN 10 AU - Similar Threads - Insane stuttering audio

2. INSANE lag spikes and stutters in fortnite!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INSANE lag spikes and stutters in fortnite!!!: I've been playing fortnite for a while now and everything has been going great, but suddenly my PC gets random fps drops and The Ping spikes from 25-500 for no reason, I've tried factory resetting my PC, Updating Drivers, and changing power plans but nothing seems to work ill...
  3. INSANE lag spikes and stutters in fortnite!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    INSANE lag spikes and stutters in fortnite!!!: I've been playing fortnite for a while now and everything has been going great, but suddenly my PC gets random fps drops and The Ping spikes from 25-500 for no reason, I've tried factory resetting my PC, Updating Drivers, and changing power plans but nothing seems to work ill...
  4. INSANE lag spikes and stutters in fortnite, HELP!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    INSANE lag spikes and stutters in fortnite, HELP!: I stopped playing fortnite about 2 years ago and it used to work perfectly there were no lagspike/stutters, and i wanted to come back to the game now. I started a solo match and when i got into the game i was getting insane lagspikes/stutters, i was pretty confused, i looked...
  5. INSANE lag spikes and stutters in fortnite, HELP!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INSANE lag spikes and stutters in fortnite, HELP!: I stopped playing fortnite about 2 years ago and it used to work perfectly there were no lagspike/stutters, and i wanted to come back to the game now. I started a solo match and when i got into the game i was getting insane lagspikes/stutters, i was pretty confused, i looked...
  6. Mouse lagging and audio stuttering , video as well after win 10 version 2004 upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse lagging and audio stuttering , video as well after win 10 version 2004 upgrade: Has anybody had this issue where if I leave my computer off for a couple of hours and turn it back on . Everything stutters (including audio , video etc, offline and online . Literally unusable. Called Microsoft tech support and he didn’t fix it . If I shut off my pc when the...
  7. Audio stutter is driving me insane

Audio stutter is driving me insane: So I built my pc about a month ago (2nd build) and windows 10 has caused me nothing but problems since, from trying to create a boot from linux to now. I have a really bad audio stutter and from my research it is really common but my question is, is it fixable? Everything...
  8. Audio stutters and lags during video and audio streams

Audio stutters and lags during video and audio streams: Hi! Watching youtube and other stuff is not pleasing for my ears anymore, audio lags and stutters, no matter what audio source I am using. Here is a screenshot from latency mon: https://imgur.com/a/KmxGuNt Cpu does not throttle and bios in on the latest version Hope...
  9. Videos lag and stutter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Videos lag and stutter: So basically any video I play (locally, so not on YouTube) lags and stutters very badly. Yes I have tried using different media players and my video drivers are up to date. I have not found an answer online. I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 1803. Any help? Edit: forgot to...
  10. stuttering since Win 10 AU install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    stuttering since Win 10 AU install: Hello, My HP Envy laptop has been stuttering since the Anniversary Upgrade a few weeks ago. I ran LatencyMon, but don't know what to do with the results, which clearly show a problem. Can someone provide some guidance? Here's the LatencyMon report:...