Windows 10: Insert media for reset or refresh

Discus and support Insert media for reset or refresh in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A few of my apps disappeared, and I can't open the app store. I tried using a restore point, which it said it could not complete. Tried a different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Klaus, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Klaus Win User

Insert media for reset or refresh

A few of my apps disappeared, and I can't open the app store. I tried using a restore point, which it said it could not complete. Tried a different date, same result. Tried a powershell command I found on another tech site. No good. Now I'm looking at doing a reset or refresh. All of the articles I've read say "If prompted to insert media, you will need your installation media or recovery drive". I don't have a disk. I just woke up one day a few weeks ago and my computer said welcome to Windows 10. And I've never set it up to create a recovery image. Is there a way to know if I will be "prompted to insert media"? Is there an alternative solution?

:)

Klaus, Apr 13, 2016
  2. F.Wu Win User

Windows 10 450MB recovery partition is empty

When installing Windows 10, it creates 450MB recovery partition. However, it is empty. How can I utilize that partition as a true "recovery partition" i.e. if I need to reset/refresh the PC, I do not have to insert installation media?

Thanks

3. Windows 10 reset issue

Hi Jesse,

In most cases, once you start to refresh or reset your PC, it’ll finish on its own. However, if Windows needs missing files, you’ll be asked to insert recovery media.
    This is typically located on a DVD disc or thumb drive. If that happens, what you’ll need depends on your PC.

For more information, you can check this link on how to refresh, reset or restore your PC and see if it
    helps.

Feel free to post back should you need further assistance.

Acelyn Alc, Apr 13, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Please follow the instructions listed below to the letter.....................

Use the Tech Bench link below to download the Windows 10 iso file :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 ( 1st one on the list )> click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    at the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.
    It will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Apr 13, 2016
  5. Klaus Win User
    Took 2 tries to get the iso file (first one failed, for whatever reason), but when I right click I don't get Mount as a choice.

Klaus, Apr 14, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 14, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    What if you right click at the iso > click Open > do you see the Setup option at the end of the list ?
    If yes, click it.

davidhk, Apr 14, 2016
  8. Klaus Win User

Klaus, Apr 14, 2016
  9. Klaus Win User
    When I click Open, it opens the file in Roxio.

Klaus, Apr 14, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Klaus,
    The tutorial poste by Brink, our Admin, should work.

I do not know how it opens to Roxio.
    Last time I saw the Roxio was when I had my Vista pre-installed.

OK. My last idea..................
    Burn your iso to a bootable media, DVD or USB.
    Insert your bootable media > go to This PC > right click at the drive where the media is inserted > click Open. Hopefully it does not open to Roxio again.
    Locate Setup option and click it.

davidhk, Apr 14, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 14, 2016
  12. Klaus Win User
    That worked!

And we're all done and back in business. Thank you both.

Klaus, Apr 14, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Insert media for reset or refresh - Similar Threads - Insert media reset

2. Trouble resetting Windows 10 PC - 'insert your windows installation or recovery media'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble resetting Windows 10 PC - 'insert your windows installation or recovery media': Hi, I'm having trouble resetting my computer need to reset as selling it. I'm getting the error: 'insert your windows installation or recovery media' So far I have: - created a recovery medium on my external hard drive but Windows won't recognise it. - tried the reagentc...
  3. Insert Online Media

in Windows 10 Customization
    Insert Online Media: I want to embed a youtube video into my word document, but when I click insert I do not see the media video online to do this. Do I need to purchase something to get this capability?...
  4. Windows Media Player ignores an inserted DVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player ignores an inserted DVD: I bought an Italian language teaching aid book ("Caccia ai tesori") and with it comes a disk with mp3 and video files to play on my Windows 10 laptop. Windows Media Player presumably plays DVDs (at least it used to in earlier versions) but is ignoring the DVD drive. There...
  5. It is Reset or Refresh feature?

It is Reset or Refresh feature?: Hello, It is Reset and Refresh feature? or both of these are Reset feature and we cannot refresh within Control Panel in Windows? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-is-reset-or-refresh-feature/276c61e2-9ee7-4f91-8473-627ee104bed6
  6. Error: please insert external media...

Error: please insert external media...: [ATTACH]this is what I'm getting and I can't click open or close anything what do I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-please-insert-external-media/d3d4a0bf-5dcd-4f6d-9f26-32a711f3b96f
  7. Error:please insert the external storage media

Error:please insert the external storage media: I'm getting this : error: Please insert the external storage media and press ok ......black screen in background and the " loading dots going in circles"...
  8. Media inserted is not valid

Media inserted is not valid: Hey everyone, I have a laptop Acer Aspire V 13 and a week ago when I tried turning it on it was stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" and did not turn on I tried everything, When I saw that nothing worked I decided to reset the laptop completely through the blue reset...
  9. Windows 10 -Resetting or Refreshing

Windows 10 -Resetting or Refreshing: My computer originally came with Windows 8 and then converted to Windows 10. Something happened to computer, so when I do resetting or refreshing, it does not complete it and begin to undo all changes. Is there way to reset or how to get a Windows 10 from Microsoft? Thank...
  10. Refresh or Reset PC

Refresh or Reset PC: Refresh or Reset Windows 10 removes files in Drive C. or only the partition where the Windows 10 OS is installed? 17825