Windows 10: Inside the shady world of antivirus telemarketing

Discus and support Inside the shady world of antivirus telemarketing in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Unfortunately many people are falling for this scam. The agents are instructed to stick to a 13-page script. They ask callers whether they have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Borg 386, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Borg 386 Win User

Inside the shady world of antivirus telemarketing

Unfortunately many people are falling for this scam.

'Your PC may be infected!' Inside the shady world of antivirus telemarketing | PCWorld

:)

Borg 386, Jun 12, 2015

2. proto.nokia.com stamped on the glass of the digitizer of Lumia 1020???!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of eBay.. the land of wonders and long distance buying of shady goods.

Paul van der Heu, Jun 12, 2015
  3. grschinon Win User

Just because you bought it in Israel doesn't mean it was intended for the Israeli market. Some shady retailers import phones from parts of the world where they're cheaper (eastern Europe, China, Africa for example) and install a language pack for their
    country before selling them to end-users such as yourself. When you get round to updating the firmware, this tends to delete the language pack that the shady retailer installed and you're left with the phone as it was originally intended for the eastern European,
    Chinese or African market.

grschinon, Jun 12, 2015
  4. wase4711 Win User

I had one of these morons call me awhile ago..It was funny asking them for specifics about my system, since they "claimed" they were looking at my pc right now, and could see I had virus on my machine"..

I guess the general public is stupid, because giving any stranger on the phone any personally identifiable information is just plain stupid, no matter WHAT the say to you..

wase4711, Jun 12, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Don't "Mind Readers" and "Psychics" work the same way?

Cliff S, Jun 12, 2015
  6. wase4711 Win User
    *Cool*Shock

wase4711, Jun 12, 2015
  7. rvbfan Win User
    I had one of those calls and played along for a bit. Gave a bunch of made up answers and when he said he detected a virus, I said WOW! That antivirus really is powerful! It found that even though my computer is turned off!

Click.

rvbfan, Jun 12, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Attachment 21487

Thank Malwarebytes, that I have MBAE protection before going to this site.

Cliff S, Jun 12, 2015
  9. Voyager 1 Win User
    Inside the shady world of antivirus telemarketing [​IMG]

That scammer leave the scene in record time...
    Inside the shady world of antivirus telemarketing [​IMG]

Voyager 1, Jun 13, 2015
  10. Thanks for the info, not heard of this before

paulsalter, Jun 13, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I get calls every now and then about this and others trying to get me to give them control of my PC. I just hang up. Works every time.

BunnyJ, Jun 13, 2015
  12. The only ones I get are from supposed Microsoft Support (or is this the same)

I just go along with them and they eventually hang up when I start questioning them

paulsalter, Jun 13, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

That's mostly what I get .. most of the time I just don't answer if I don't know the number.

BunnyJ, Jun 13, 2015
  14. Try asking them a question.

**Do you know you have called a Police Station**

Hopefully that will get your phone number off their call list.

Layback Bear, Jun 13, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    I would ask them if they really want access to my system, because, I'm running Kali Linux.

Cliff S, Jun 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Inside the shady world of antivirus telemarketing - Similar Threads - Inside shady world

2. why does the tech worlds have to be so shady?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does the tech worlds have to be so shady?: Hello, ......My name for this question is MSSG3_No.1 which represents Micro-soft Surface Go 3 _space Number Dot 1 for the number of devices I currently own. I am writing this question today in-leu of some serious issues I have been having with Microsoft and the networks that...
  3. why does the tech worlds have to be so shady?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does the tech worlds have to be so shady?: Hello, ......My name for this question is MSSG3_No.1 which represents Micro-soft Surface Go 3 _space Number Dot 1 for the number of devices I currently own. I am writing this question today in-leu of some serious issues I have been having with Microsoft and the networks that...
  4. White shady border around screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    White shady border around screen: Hi, can anyone help me? When I turned on my laptop this morning it had a white shady/translucent border around the whole screen. I have tried updating the display drivers and graphics cards and it has not helped. My laptop is an Acer Swift Notebook SF314-42. It uses AMD...
  5. White shady border around screen

White shady border around screen: Hi, can anyone help me? When I turned on my laptop this morning it had a white shady/translucent border around the whole screen. I have tried updating the display drivers and graphics cards and it has not helped. My laptop is an Acer Swift Notebook SF314-42. It uses AMD...
  6. Shady update Buisness

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shady update Buisness: Windows, STOP controlling my PC. I am sick of the shady business conducted by your company. You give us the LIE that we can update our system WHEN we want, but then BEHIND our backs you fking have it update anyways.For 3 days now, I have unplugged my internet before bed...
  7. Shady update Buisness

Shady update Buisness: Windows, STOP controlling my PC. I am sick of the shady business conducted by your company. You give us the LIE that we can update our system WHEN we want, but then BEHIND our backs you fking have it update anyways.For 3 days now, I have unplugged my internet before bed...
  8. Shady update Buisness

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Telemarketers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Telemarketers: What do you think is it possible? I think the Telemarketer callers are starting their own "DO NOT CALL LIST". If so they have put an !*!*! by my name. So bored being in isolation when they call I WONT LET THEM GET OFF THE PHONE. Some are even rude and hang up on me?...
  10. shady hardware swap

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    shady hardware swap: I recently bought a Lenovo idea pad laptop. immediately after I lost the charging cord. I took laptop to a small tech shop to get a cord. the guy plugged in 3 or 4 cords announced that my chaging port was bad and tht he would change it no charge.30 minute later he was still...