Windows 10: Install 10 using a 'free upgrade' disc

Discus and support Install 10 using a 'free upgrade' disc in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Having read a huge number of posts in this Forum, it seems that most (but not all) of the issues have arisen from upgrading via Download rather than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by willington, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Install 10 using a 'free upgrade' disc

Having read a huge number of posts in this Forum, it seems that most (but not all) of the issues have arisen from upgrading via Download rather than installing from a Disc using a 'clean install'.

I'm sure MS won't want to post out millions of 'Free upgrade' discs to those of us who want to use OS10 and in turn I for one don't want to pay £100/$150 in buying an OS that I could get for free.

So how about this suggestion:

After the initial fixes have been enacted, MS produce an 'upgrade disc'... only usable when it verifies that the PC it is going on qualifies for the upgrade. In turn, MS charges a small Administration fee of say £10/$15 for making it available and sending it out.

Taking into consideration the time spent, downloading data costs, let alone the frustration factor this would be a small price to pay.

Additionally, you would have a copy of 10 available should you ever need it.

If enough of us wannabe 10 users think that it is a good idea, perhaps MS will do something about this suggestion?

:)

willington, Aug 17, 2015

2. What if after I upgrade to window 10,then I format pc will I still ablearning to get the free window 10 or after I format return it to window 8

Hi but when i use window 8 disc install in my comp definitely its going to be Window 8. how can it be Window 10 when i use window 8 disc to install? the upgrade is 1 time or free upgrade anytime also no problem? since i got register to upgrade it to window
    10 at the 1st place.

kelvinkhoo, Aug 17, 2015
  3. MSeurat Win User
    Free Windows 10 Upgrade - Creating Installation Discs & Recovery Discs

Super excited about the free upgrade to Windows 10 (Pro, since I am a current user of Windows 7 Professional (SP1) and the upgrade is for a like for like product)! One issue that has been quite common with software and OS upgrades as opposed to clean installs
    is that there are often bugs that crop up in upgrades that do not occur with clean installs. I am curious about the ability to create clean install Installation and Recovery Discs given that Windows 10 will be coming as an upgrade rather than a clean install.

Is it possible to request, order, or otherwise (without purchasing) obtain Windows 10 media installation discs for a clean install as part of the free upgrade or will we be able to create clean installation discs prior to or after the upgrade is complete?
    How do you suggest that a clean install be performed with our free upgrade given that this offer is an upgrade through Windows Update Center rather than a complete wipe / clean install?

If there are bugs that corrupt the installation, my concern is that even if we can create the media Installation and Recovery Discs after the upgrade, those very corruptions may be passed on to those media installation discs. Is this merely the "risk" assumed
    through a "Free" upgrade or is there a more secure and problem free solution that is available?

Thank you!

MSeurat, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Install 10 using a 'free upgrade' disc

5. willington, Aug 17, 2015
  6. What is "OS10"? In any event, you're saying that you want an official factory-pressed Windows 10 DVD from Microsoft instead of downloading the ISO and burning it to a DVD yourself? If so, you should contact Microsoft; that service may already exist. Microsoft has made "replacement media" available for many things. The idea is that you are only buying the media (usually a disc), not the license (you have to already have the license), so it is cheap. In some cases, discs from Microsoft are free (or have been in the past). For example, I ordered a cumulative update disc for Windows XP from them about 11 years ago, and it didn't cost me a dime:

Install 10 using a 'free upgrade' disc [​IMG]

By the way, I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and burned it with ImgBurn onto a DVD+R, and it worked perfectly for both the upgrade install, and the clean install that I did after that.

MaximRecoil, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Install 10 using a 'free upgrade' disc

1. Install 10 using a 'free upgrade' disc - Similar Threads - Install using 'free

2. Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10: Hi, I'd like to do a clean install of my win10. But it's a free upgrade version. I can't find a step by step guide to do it. Only guides for fresh installs of a regular win10 version. I'm afraid to do something wrong and lose the right to use this licence. Thank you...
  3. Using Windows 10 free upgrade for Win. 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using Windows 10 free upgrade for Win. 7: Hi, first, let me say I am not the smartest guy when it comes to computers. I am trying to use the free upgrade to Win. 10 on my Win. 7 pc that is here under the tutorial forum. Last night, I started the download for Win.10 installation media,and it went along without a...
  4. Upgrade to 10 for free

Upgrade to 10 for free: Hi all,I did a little site searching but can't seem to find help with my question.My daughter has a 4 year old Asus desktop running 8.1.I have checked the specs. and it is capable of running 10.Is there a free option to download and install Windows10 and if so-how to do so....
  5. Upgrading from windows 10 home to pro using the free 8.1 upgrade

Upgrading from windows 10 home to pro using the free 8.1 upgrade: This requires a bit of backstory. Back in the day, I bought a digital copy of Windows 8.1 Pro. Still have the email and it still shows up in my MS account order history. Once Windows 10 came out, MS offered it as a free upgrade for I think the first year, which I used and got...
  6. Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question

Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question: To introduce myself, I am a 75 year old, grey haired wrinkly with a little computer knowledge but not too much. Please forgive me if this question seems trivial to some of you. Like many of you, I have the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 and, I intend to do it once...
  7. Installing free upgrade

Installing free upgrade: Just curious, but I have 6 pc's slated for the free upgrade. How will you know which download is intended for each machine? 9085
  8. I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade

I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade: Brink , I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade, What are your suggestions for me , before this offer expires ? No more than I know how to keep from facing issues later . 53146
  9. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?: Hmm I firstly thought that free upgrade to windows 10 has end but now I see MS giving away windows 10 free again in this wsite?- Here 74024
  10. Fresh RE-install for free upgrade to windows 10?

Fresh RE-install for free upgrade to windows 10?: Several months ago I got the free upgrade from Win 7 to 10. I did fresh install onto a blank HDD using a proper ISO and used the key on the bottom of my Toshiba laptop. Toshiba provided no Win 10 drivers, but I got everything working with 7 and 8 drivers. Now the question...