Windows 10: install additional memory before or after Win 10 install

Discus and support install additional memory before or after Win 10 install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Win 10 iso that I download in August but have not yet installed. I have 12 GB memory installed now but I want to increase to 24 GB while I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WalterH, Nov 19, 2015.

1. WalterH Win User

install additional memory before or after Win 10 install

I have a Win 10 iso that I download in August but have not yet installed. I have 12 GB memory installed now but I want to increase to 24 GB while I still have Win 7 installed, and then continue running Win 7 for a while longer.

I'm assuming that the license associated with Win 10 that I downloaded is tied to my current PC configuration and this might cause a problem if I install additional memory before doing the Win 10 install. Should I install the extra memory cards before or after doing the Win 10 install, or does it not matter? Does MS allow for minor hardware changes with the free Win 10?

:)

WalterH, Nov 19, 2015

2. What if I don't like Win 10 after it is installed? Has Win 7 been removed, or is the Win 10 installed in addition?

What if I don't like Win 10 after it is installed? Has Win 7 been removed, or is the Win 10 installed in addition?

cwilliamc3, Nov 19, 2015
  3. A11enB Win User
    Windows 10 Pro and Virtual Box Dual screens Screen Resolution

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I have Guest Additions installed. After installing Win 10 Pro that was the first thing I did.

Still only get a max resolution of 1400x1050. on the VM setup I have display memory set to 128MB of 256MB it shows available.

Thanks,

Allen

A11enB, Nov 19, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Walter, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Luckily, a minor hardware change such as RAM will have no affect on the digital entitlement of Windows 10. You can feel free to add the RAM whenever you like.

A new motherboard would be a different story though.

Brink, Nov 19, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    I agree with Brink but really prefer upgrading hardware on a running Operating System so any problems get worked out and not compounded with an unproven install of a newer OS.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. install additional memory before or after Win 10 install - Similar Threads - install additional memory

2. Installing Additional Languages in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing Additional Languages in Windows 10: How do I install additional languages in Windows 10, and translate documents to other languages than English ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-additional-languages-in-windows-10/efb95238-6d70-419f-9e6b-35d8272b007b
  3. BSOD Windows 10 after installing an additional HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Windows 10 after installing an additional HDD: Hi, I have tried to install 2 new hard drives Seagate 4TB - ST4000DM004 into my system, however I keep getting the blue screen with stop codeinternal power error The system has Intel i5-6600 @ 3.3ghz no graphics card, uses built inIntel HD Graphics 530, 1 x SSD Samsung 850...
  4. Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer?: I am in the process of setting up a new HP computer, Win 10, Ver 1803, Build 17134.191. It has a partition with the O/S etc. on it to restore. 1) I want to make an image of the new computer disk on an external disk in case the new disk goes bad. Should I make the image...
  5. windows 10 home addition installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 home addition installation: I purchased from Microsoft Windows 10 Home/Pro on a usb thumb drive a couple years ago however I was never able to get it to install. I now find myself doing a complete fresh install and am determined to use my installation media. I did not plan the installation in advance...
  6. Installing Win 10 x64 using a flash memory

Installing Win 10 x64 using a flash memory: Hello all, I'm going to re-install Windows 10 x 64. My SDD is of 256 GB size containing two drives. The C drive is to be for installation and the D drives contains my valuable data. I want to use the Rufus app to install the .iso file of the windows into a 32 GB flash...
  7. multiple processes suspended in win 10 home before and after clean install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    multiple processes suspended in win 10 home before and after clean install: I had multiple processes suspended for apparently no reason. The machine was really slow. I tried a clean install of win 10. Now running 1803 build 17134.191. This is a clean install, I have not installed any other software. The following processes are suspended:...
  8. Win 7 programs to remove before installing Win 10

Win 7 programs to remove before installing Win 10: Sorry for the newb question, but this is a great place for all things Win 10 already, so here goes.. For the best possible win 10 preview install, I think I should remove the following programs before I try it; am I paranoid, or do you guys agree? Esset AV All stardock...
  9. Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install

Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install: I've upgraded from Win 7 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 via the upgrade install. The system indicates the Win 10 install is activated. Presently, this install is to buggy. I intend to wipe the disk clean and perform a clean install via bootable USD flash drive and the downloaded...
  10. Caution if running WindowBlinds before installing Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Caution if running WindowBlinds before installing Win 10: If you run Stardock Windowblinds then please uninstall it before performing an upgrade installation of Win 10. If you don't then a vertical taskbar configuration may get corrupted. This happened to me and in Win 10 a vertical taskbar takes up half the screen. A horizontal...