Windows 10: Install dual-boot 10 over 7

Discus and support Install dual-boot 10 over 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I created a separate partition, wanting to install a clean, dual-bootable Windows 10 on it, keeping the existing version of Windows 7. However, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by eddiepop, Sep 18, 2015.

1. eddiepop Win User

Install dual-boot 10 over 7

I created a separate partition, wanting to install a clean, dual-bootable Windows 10 on it, keeping the existing version of Windows 7. However, the installer went ahead and replaced Windows 7, and since there were some problems with sound in 10, I decided to revert back to 7, which went flawlessly (kudos to Microsoft on this one!) On installation I didn't see any choice as to where to put Windows 10, and it's looking like I can't do it the way I want. So, I have two questions: 1) Will Microsoft allow me to do another free install, and 2) can I get it to install cleanly on the partition I have created for it?

:)

eddiepop, Sep 18, 2015

2. Dual boot after upgrade

You can't dual boot with this free upgrade through windows 7. However your office stuff will be carried over to Windows 10 and will be usable.

If you do want to create a dual boot after installing windows 10, you can roll back to Windows 7 and then download the Windows 10 ISO that should come out on July 29th or so and you can do so.

David Rushing, Sep 18, 2015
  3. I would like to keep Windows 7 and replace Windows 8.1 with Windows 10. Would it be possible to install 10 and keep the dual boot setup with 7?

* Original Title: Dual Boot

Hello,

My computer has Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 installed with a dual boot setup. They are both installed on the same drive(1 TB) with two equal partitions. I would like to keep Windows 7 and replace Windows 8.1 with Windows 10. Would it be possible to install
    10 and keep the dual boot setup with 7?

BrianMcKeigan, Sep 18, 2015
Thema:

Install dual-boot 10 over 7

1. Install dual-boot 10 over 7 - Similar Threads - Install dual boot

2. Install Win 10 over not dual boot over linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Win 10 over not dual boot over linux: Can't load my new Win 10 USB onto my Toshiba C55 laptop with Linux Mint 19.3 currently installed. I can't get past the Mint bootup screen. I have to access the bios from this menu as F2, F9 of F12 won't go directly to the bios. I want a clean install of Win 10 over linux....
  3. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  4. Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.: I recently installed Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 for better support for older games, however Windows 10 will now no longer boot, it simply goes to a black screen with a circle of spinning dots with occasional disk activity. I have left it like this for at least 3 hours...
  5. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  6. installing 10 over 8.1 in dual boot with 7

installing 10 over 8.1 in dual boot with 7: I have a dual boot 7 and 8.1, which are on separate drives. I'd like to keep 7 and install 10 over 8.1, I have downloaded 10 on usb. My question is do I have to disconnect the windows 7 drive before I try to install 10?. help needed. 9852
  7. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  8. Dual Boot question (7 and 10)

Dual Boot question (7 and 10): I have Windows 7, and want to try Windows 10. But I want to set up a dual boot, in case some of my old software doesn't work with Windows 10. This forum has lots of good info on how to do this, but I'm still fuzzy on a couple details. Here's my question: If I create a new...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  10. Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10

Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10: Hi All, I already have Windows 10 Home x64 on my notebook. I had upgraded from Windows 8.1. I have never had Windows 7 on this system. I want to dual boot install Windows 7 on a partition so that I can play some games that are not compatible with Windows 10. *Sad I...