Windows 10: Install.esd problems

Discus and support Install.esd problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; ON my usb flash drive I have a install.esd file and I would like to create one from sysprepped image and alls I can create is a install.wim can I erase... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RBCC, Mar 22, 2018.

1. RBCC Win User

Install.esd problems

ON my usb flash drive I have a install.esd file and I would like to create one from sysprepped image and alls I can create is a install.wim can I erase the esd file and replace it with a wim file? How do I create a install.esd flile? John*Sad*Cool*Eek

:)

2. install.esd file not found in Windows 10 1607 build

Likhitha V

Thanks for the help. The reason I was looking for the install.esd is so that I could make an iso file for backup. When I downloaded the iso file I did not need the install.esd file. Normally the install.esd file is on the C drive after upgrading. I wonder
    why it was not there after my last upgrade? Now that I know how to download the iso file that solves the problem.

Thanks again.

Bob

RobertCashatt, Mar 22, 2018
  3. install.esd file not found in Windows 10 1607 build

Original Title: install.esd

I can't find install.esd in windows 10 pro v 1607 build 14393.187

RobertCashatt, Mar 22, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Install.esd problems

You do not ESD file. Simply remove it from USB and replace with install.wim.

5. RBCC Win User
    What do I use to create the install.win? I'm not on a network share. How do I do this?

6. Kari Win User
  7. Superfly Win User
    OK, maybe daft, but if esd is just a compressed wim... would boot.wim still recognise the installation? eg. compressing the sysprep wim to esd..using dism?

Code: dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"Sysprepped.wim" /SourceIndex:x /DestinationImageFile:"install.esd" /Compress:recover[/quote]

Superfly, Mar 23, 2018
  8. Kari Win User

Install.esd problems

[/quote] Yes, of course. The question is why to go through the extra step? If you already have the custom, sysprepped install.wim, why not just use it instead?

9. Superfly Win User
    ...and if the Sysprep.wim is humongous and needs to fit a small USB? (just doing the devil's advocate thing... btw)

Superfly, Mar 23, 2018
  10. Kari Win User
    If it is "humongous" (my deployment images are usually around 16 GB, give or take a few GB), you can split a WIM image to under 4 GB pieces. You cannot split an ESD image. Tutorial: DISM - Split install.wim file Windows 10 Tutorials

Split image can then be copied to a PC where you want to install Windows one by one and Windows deployed from split images.

11. Superfly Win User
    Good point! There is a limit to ESDs (compression is evolving though)

Superfly, Mar 23, 2018
  12. RBCC Win User
    Is there a way to partition a hard disk and Create subdirectories on the partitions that have been during or before install?

13. RBCC Win User

Install.esd problems

What does one use to create a esd file?

14. Kari Win User
    Could you please explain what you are trying to do, as clearly as possible? At least I have some difficulties to understand your questions.

15. RBCC Win User
    I would like to create a windows boot usb that would partition my internal hard drive with 5 partitions and Create subdirectories in them so I can install some apps in the directories . also I would like to install the drivers and make a partition for temporary files and a 300G partition for downloads . John

Thema:

Install.esd problems

1. Install.esd problems - Similar Threads - Install esd problems

2. ESD Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ESD Folder: Trying to clean up my 1TB hard drive because I'm running out of room! I've moved off all videos, music, documents, photos, and STILL only have 10GB left!!There is a folder entitled "ESD" that contains a 4GB file - ESD>Windows>Sources>install.esdWhat is that for? Do I need it...
  3. Esd folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Esd folder: My pc had some file corruption i did in placment update and after that there some file called esd 4.3 gb what to do it can i deletw it and how pls wirte steps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-folder/6caa51da-61d5-4743-b24f-b97dd3c537b9
  4. Esd folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Esd folder: My pc had some file corruption i did in placment update and after that there some file called esd 4.3 gb what to do it can i deletw it and how pls wirte steps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-folder/6caa51da-61d5-4743-b24f-b97dd3c537b9
  5. No ESD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No ESD: Just downloaded Microsoft Windows 11 but their is no ESD with the download? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-esd/8c796f84-4c63-464d-9908-406c3b6e554c
  6. No ESD

No ESD: Just downloaded Microsoft Windows 11 but their is no ESD with the download? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-esd/8c796f84-4c63-464d-9908-406c3b6e554c
  7. Installed 21H1 but no ESD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed 21H1 but no ESD: Where does one find ESD when there is no esd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-21h1-but-no-esd/954c42f2-3103-42b7-ab15-82f910264e61
  8. ESD or ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ESD or ISO: Hey there! What is difference between esd and iso file? Should I update my windows 10 through esd file or iso file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-or-iso/5068853b-102f-40f2-aa2e-48fd3cd633be
  9. ESD Decrypter

ESD Decrypter: ESD Decrypter - a GUI wrapper for the old, well-known script, but has a number of advantages: Beautiful design Automatically updates program and components Automatically download new crypto key Batch Processing Calculating the of hash sums Creating a bootable USB...
  10. ESD Toolkit

ESD Toolkit: ESD Toolkit - a tool for use with the ESD files Features: Converting ESD in ISO Getting information about ESD file ESD editing files (under development) Creating a bootable USB drive Automatically download new crypto Batch files Generation of hash sums More... [img]...