Windows 10: Install fails my computer "doesn't support NX"

Discus and support Install fails my computer "doesn't support NX" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A while back I successfully upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10, and then reverted back to Windows 7, with no problems. Today, I created a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by eddiepop, Nov 19, 2015.

1. eddiepop Win User

Install fails my computer "doesn't support NX"

A while back I successfully upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10, and then reverted back to Windows 7, with no problems. Today, I created a new partition and attempted to do a clean install of Windows 10, using a flash drive. Install failed, with the message "This PC's processor doesn't support a critical feature (NX)." Has the Windows 10 installation changed in the meantime? What's the problem? I checked the BIOS, and could find no mention of NX.

:)

eddiepop, Nov 19, 2015

2. Windows 10 Install on Unsupported Device?

Didn't work for me. Get "You can't install windows 10 because your processor doesn't support NX"

TimDugan61, Nov 19, 2015
  3. Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10

I keep getting the error "your processor doesn't support NX". I have run coreinfo and my older Pentium 4 processor "supports no-execute page protection". I have set the NX option to AlwaysOn with EasyBCD but it makes no difference. With CPU-Z, under
    Instructions, I only see "MMX,SSE,SSE2". Is this my problem?

zorro_2000, Nov 19, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Use a utility such as CPU-Z to determine the model of your CPU and which features it supports. If it supports NX, then there should be somewhere in BIOS (see CPU features or similar) to enable it. It could be referred as PAE or DEP or other name. Just enable all CPU features to make sure.

EDIT: I just ran it to see about my CPU (Intel Core-i3 3220 3GHz, 3rd generation i3), but these is nowhere clear that is supports NX. Use Aida64 instead. Go to motherboard -> CPUID and you should see all supported functions.

spapakons, Nov 19, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Nov 19, 2015
  6. bummpr Win User
    I had the same problem when I tried to use Windows 10 final x86 version. I could only upgrade by using x64 version of Windows 10. I think there are unresolved conflicts within install scripts on x86 version that do not correctly resolve eligible CPU and BIOS combinations.

bummpr, Nov 20, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    That is weird. The x86 version has less requirements than the x64 version, so is should be compatible with more CPUs. As said before, look in CPU Features section in BIOS and enable all features to make sure.

spapakons, Nov 20, 2015
  8. bummpr Win User

Yes it is WEIRD!!! This is a multi-boot machine with 5 different OS's installed...only the two x86 Windows versions failed the upgrade to Windows 10.

bummpr, Nov 21, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    What about CPU features? Have you enabled them all? Last resort is to update the BIOS to improve compatibility with newer Windows.

spapakons, Nov 22, 2015
  10. eddiepop Win User
    It's not my system. I installed a basic Windows 7 in the clean partition, and then Windows 10 installed over it (upgrade) without any trouble. If you want to do a clean install, that is what I would recommend. Incidentally, I originally backed down from 10 to 7 because I was getting no sound. My new clean install does not have this problem, so I will probably upgrade 7 to 10 in the near future, and delete my test install. That will leave only the problem of cleaning up the boot sequence!

I'm outie!

eddiepop, Nov 22, 2015
  11. ccnn5 Win User
    Yes, the Windows 10 update has changed. It now checks not only that your CPU is capable of supporting Data Execution Prevention, but also that it is currently enabled. If it is not enabled then you will get the message that your CPU can't run Windows 10 (NX). Go into Bios and go to Security. Go to Memory Protection and enable Execution Prevention. It is called different things on different computers. Coreinfo only tells you it is supported by your computer; not whether you have it enabled. “No-eXecute (NX) is a processor feature that allows marking of memory pages as non-executable. The feature allows the CPU to help guard the system from attacks by malicious software. When the NX feature is enabled on a system, it prevents malicious software code from being placed in accessible regions of memory to be executed when control reaches that memory location. Windows requires that systems must have processors that support NX, and NX must be turned on

ccnn5, Jul 11, 2016
  12. spapakons Win User
    Windows 10 have the bad habit of ignoring any working driver and trying to replace it with generic Microsoft drivers from Windows Update. This explains your audio issue. The solution is to upgrade to Windows 10 and then replace the generic audio driver with the latest Windows 7 or 8 driver from manufacturer (OEM driver). If the OEM driver is older than the generic driver, Windows Update will replace it again at next update. To prevent it, you can use the show/hide tool to hide any driver updates. See tutorials.

PS: If you have an old Realtek AC'97 audio card (not newer HD models), the latest official Realtek drivers cause a BSOD. Search the forum for solutions. There is a solution for both 32-bit (install older Windows XP driver) and 64-bit (install older XP 64-bit driver).

spapakons, Jul 11, 2016
  13. eddiepop Win User

I have been trying to get a BIOS upgrade from ASUS, to eliminate this problem. Will have another go at it.

eddiepop, Jul 12, 2016
  14. spapakons Win User
    Go to Asus support site, search for your device model (and revision if any) and it could have a new BIOS to download

spapakons, Jul 12, 2016
  15. GregPower Win User
    this for all you guys who have a CPU supporting NX but the upgrade assistant says that you don't have NX. this solved my problem on an old Core 2 Quad.
    Open CMD (Admin)
    type in the following, after it's complete, restart, then try running the upgrade assistant. hopefully it should work!

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

GregPower, May 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Install fails my computer "doesn't support NX" - Similar Threads - Install fails computer

2. Windows 10 failed to install on my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 failed to install on my computer: while upgrading my computer to windows 10, it failed to install and no error code appears. It just says installation failed. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-failed-to-install-on-my-computer/799593bd-38b4-407e-954b-3332069e0a32
  3. Windows 10 failed to install on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 failed to install on my computer: while upgrading my computer to windows 10, it failed to install and no error code appears. It just says installation failed. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-failed-to-install-on-my-computer/799593bd-38b4-407e-954b-3332069e0a32
  4. Microsoft doesn't recognize my computer to install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft doesn't recognize my computer to install.: I received Just Cause 4 as a gift from a friend and I have it in my account, but I can't install it as the Windows Store says that I don't have a device that I can install it on. I'm on my PC but it says that there's no device....
  5. Waves NX buzzing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Waves NX buzzing: Hello, I'm having some issues with Waves NX. Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 18363.1198, Xonar DGX. A few days ago I tested a Sabrent USB audio adapter dongle. Since then when Waves NX is used the sound is loudly distorted. This sound is what happened when Waves NX was turned off...
  6. NIKON NX 2

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    NIKON NX 2: My NIKON NX 2 photo uploading and editing program crashes as soon as I open it, since the recent Microsoft Malware update . I've re-booted, re-installed the program... All to no avail. Nikon says it's a Microsoft problem. How can I get it the NIKON NX 2 program back and...
  7. This pc's processor doesn't support a critical feature (nx)

This pc's processor doesn't support a critical feature (nx): Hi, I want to install Windows 10 32-bit and I have the below error when I'm installing windows 10. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/this-pcs-processor-doesnt-support-a-critical/0ff8789b-02a2-40b0-9d3a-c9ad83235d10
  8. CPU doesn't support NX

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU doesn't support NX: Hi, I need a help, I tried to install Android Studio to start working on developping apps, but when I tried to make an emulator (virtual device), it doesn't work, and I had this warning " Your CPU doesn't support NX ". My ask is to know what is mean NX, and why my CPU...
  9. This PC's processor doesn't support a critical feature (NX)."

This PC's processor doesn't support a critical feature (NX).": Hi there, When i try to upgrade W7 to W10 I get the no NX message. I've run CoreInfo and my CPU supports NX, SEE2 e.t.c mentioned on plenty of google search pages. My Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro P300 CPU is a Intel T9550, Have no idea what the motherboard is. The...
  10. No Execute memory - NX Windows 10 installer False NX negative - DEP

in Windows 10 Support
    No Execute memory - NX Windows 10 installer False NX negative - DEP: There Seems to be a severe lack of support for No Execute memory based problems in most motherboards. In fact it would seem (call me crazy) that this is an intentional problem considering the lack of support for NX based problems such as false NX negatives in the windows 10...