Windows 10: install from W7, runs for seconds then black screen with cursor

Discus and support install from W7, runs for seconds then black screen with cursor in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I lose explorer.exe shortly after logon. If I click on Firefox or other app, it comes up and stays up, but rest of the screen goes black. No issues at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by glenb, Jul 2, 2015.

1. glenb Win User

install from W7, runs for seconds then black screen with cursor

I lose explorer.exe shortly after logon. If I click on Firefox or other app, it comes up and stays up, but rest
    of the screen goes black. No issues at all with previous W7 install. HP Pavilion, not sure of all hardware particulars. Took HD to another computer, does the exact same thing. Also, I downloaded the latest ISO image the night
    before, because I had an older ISO image installed on a different computer that also failed to a black screen. It has
    completely different hardware, but same results!

ctrl-alt-del brings up task manager, and I tried running explorer.exe from there, it only lasted a few seconds before it reverts to black screen again. Now two completely different computers with different video, cpus, etc do exactly the same thing. Power settings are now set to never sleep, and never power down, no help there either.

???

TIA for any suggestions....

:)

glenb, Jul 2, 2015
  2. mikeglin Win User

Windows 10 killed my pc!

I started installing the upgrade this morning on my w7 desktop, all was going well, it said relax or something like that and let it carry on installing. When I came back some time later the screen was black. On restarting it gets to the blue window logo
    and the goes black every time with just the cursor on the screen. HELP.

mikeglin, Jul 2, 2015
  3. shabs74 Win User
    Windows 10 install problems on Acer R3700

Hi all

I have been trying to install Windows 10 on my Acer R3700 net top PC now but keep running in to issues.

I am installing through Windows update, from Windows 7 Home Premium.

• On my first attempt, half way through the install, I got a black screen (with no cursor) that remained for hours. I reset and it reinstated W7.
    • On my second attempt, I installed the latest NVIDIA drivers through Windows update, and tried again. This time, no black screen, but installation hanged at 84% complete and 38% configuring settings. This remained for hours, so I reset it and it reinstated
      W7.
    • On my third attempt, I did a clean boot, uninstalled the graphics driver completely, tried again, but this time I got the black screen again as in my first attempt. Reset, reinstated W7.
    • On my fourth attempt, I did a clean boot (as in, I never bothered to reinstate everything from my last clean boot), I reinstalled the latest graphics drvers, uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials, removed all USB devices and internet ethernet cable
      right after W10 had finished downloading and tried again through Windows update. This time it hanged at 84% again, and 38% configuring settings, for 17 hours.

What on earth could be the probem? This is very tiresome, as each time you have to redownload W10 and every time I reset my computer I'm worried I'm doing the hard drive damage.

Can anyone shed some light on this, or should I just give up and stay with W7?

Thanks.

shabs74, Jul 2, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Since You upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I suspect that there's some third party softwares you installed in Windows 7 that are not compatible with Windows 10 and can cause funny things to happen.

Windows 8/8.1/10 are more forgiving and would let you take the HD and put in another PC with different hardware and would re-install the drivers for it. However, you still have the same problem with both PC's. I suggest

• Disable all the startup items: Right click on taskbar->Task Manager->Startup and disable all non MS items.
    • WIN + R->msconfig->services tab. check on "Hide all MS services" then click on "Disable All"
    • Download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows, unzip and run as Admin
    • From Menu: Options->Filter By Extension Type->Context Menu then click OK.
    • Select all Non MS extension and click on the red button to disable all of them.
    • Reboot.

Hope this helps !!!

topgundcp, Jul 2, 2015
  5. glenb Win User
    Hello,

Thanks for advice. Followed your instructions exactly, and was able to see all non-MS stuff disabled. Rebooted and
    no help, still goes to black screen. So, started uninstalling anything that even remotely might cause the OS problems.
    The only app that would not uninstall completely was DisplayLink Core. Not sure why. Nothing I did in the uninstall process helped
    either. Removed all monitors from the system except the main central monitor.

Just for fun, I took latest ISO image and installed it on a new, fresh computer. It installed with no issues! FX 8-core
    machine with SSD and 8Gb.

Oh well...
    I guess I will have to run my business apps on the old W7 machine, and the new high horse power dsp apps on the new machine.

Take care,

glenb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. install from W7, runs for seconds then black screen with cursor - Similar Threads - install runs seconds

2. Black Screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen with cursor: Hello,tonight I install the 22H2 update all fine and turn off the PC, today I turn on and after the boot I get black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner, what's happening?From pc boot menu it's the same, I select the SSD disk and nothing happens... Note: If I...
  3. Half a second black screens with cursor at random times

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Half a second black screens with cursor at random times: i have half a second black scererns with cusor at random times plaese help me fix this [Title edited for clarity] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/half-a-second-black-screens-with-cursor-at-random/22381f34-4d77-4389-8907-53ff2278a87c
  4. Black Screen With Cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen With Cursor: Hello, So today I turned on my computer and it was updating and sec later the power went off. When I turned it back again it asked me to select my keyboard language after that it showed me some options like troubleshoot so I clicked at troubleshoot and selected startup...
  5. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Black screen with cursor: Living in Fear: Updated to Ten (Gateway SX-2800), it worked for a month. After an update came black screen with cursor. TenForum solution (3 shutdowns before full start) and restart fixed. Updated video and other drivers. Another update event, happened again, this time...
  6. Black screen with cursor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen with cursor.: Hi, I am prajwal , my PC is facing a problem.when I installed drivers in my PC, after that screen had become black with cursor , I could not able to do anything, I can't see task manager too.So I want to format my PC.But I want to back up all my stuffs.What and how I should...
  7. Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor: Upgrading from windows 7 to 10, started install at around 10:30am and left it....around 2:30pm it started the large circle with the % in the centre, and again left it for another hour or so and came back to a black screen, no cursor or anything. I waited until about 7:30...
  8. Black screen blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot: Black screen with blinking cursor for 60 seconds on reboot, before windows starts –solved, Ethernet service setting. Totally empirical approach, “by intuition and sense of smell” (one for the Who fans) Googling “Blackscreen blinking cursor 60 seconds on reboot” gave...
  9. 30-60 second black screen with cursor on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    30-60 second black screen with cursor on boot: This has been happening ever since I upgraded to 10 about 2 weeks ago. I start the computer, 3 second ASUS logo, then windows 10 logo comes up and it loads for about 10-20 seconds, then I get a black screen with a cursor for 30-60 seconds, followed by another loading screen...
  10. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with cursor: My Windows 10 was running perfectly well for one full week. Then this morning I noticed it installed some update and after reboot the screen went black and the cursor appeared. I tried every thing but nothing helped. I cannot even access the troubleshooting, bios, repair,...