Windows 10: Install new motherboard- Install before or after Win10 upgrade?

Discus and support Install new motherboard- Install before or after Win10 upgrade? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an HTPC on Windows 7 that I want to upgrade to Windows 10. I want to change the motherboard to an mini-ITX format. Should I install Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SJMaye, Sep 13, 2015.

1. SJMaye Win User

Install new motherboard- Install before or after Win10 upgrade?

I have an HTPC on Windows 7 that I want to upgrade to Windows 10. I want to change the motherboard to an mini-ITX format. Should I install Windows 10 before or after changing out the motherboard? Trying to avoid a hangup.

:)

SJMaye, Sep 13, 2015
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Windows 10 Unable To Activate

Think you need to at least once activate win7 or 8 on the new motherboard before you can install the win10 upgrade freely right now. Win10 wont activate as a fresh install on a new motherboard , a never before activated motherboard - without a new unused key
    of some sort.

'Mike P, Sep 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Installation Problems

After up grading to Win 10, my screen started to blink and the lap top was frozen in this blinking mode. After restarting computer many times, it is stuck in the Win 10 load process with the circle of dots spinning around and around while the load process
    goes no where. I have tested all hardware and it is OK. I tried the Win 10 fix and it still is in the same mode where the dots spin around and around, but operating system does not load and start up

I have a 64 bit HP Lap Top that was running Win 8.1 without any problems before trying to load Win 10.

Win10 Install Problems, Sep 13, 2015
  4. Install new motherboard- Install before or after Win10 upgrade?

Personally I would do it first that way any hitches would be sorted out with the windows I had on the hard drive

hTconeM9user, Sep 13, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    License is tied up to MB, so better install after the change. It's also likely that you would have to reinstall anyway.

CountMike, Sep 13, 2015
  6. bobfrost Win User
    You should upgrade the computer mobo with Win7 before you upgrade Win7 to Win10. If you upgrade to Win 10 first, when you change the mobo, your Win10 will not activate and you will have to buy a new copy of Win10. Win 10 is only free on the computer you upgrade a previous version. Changing the mobo is equivalent to a new computer and you will need a new licence.

Bob Frost

bobfrost, Sep 13, 2015
  7. Is the current Windows 7 install OEM or Retail?

alphanumeric, Sep 13, 2015
  8. SJMaye Win User

It is the retail Family Pack of Windows 7 Home upgrade.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I will go ahead with the MB swap before upgrading to Win10.

SJMaye, Sep 13, 2015
  9. Ok, being Retail, that makes life easier. Yeah, I'd swap motherboards first. Then do the phone activation, if needed. Then do the free upgrade to 10. I'd want the Windows 10 activation tied directly to the new motherboard.

alphanumeric, Sep 13, 2015
  10. SJMaye Win User
    Good point. Thx.

SJMaye, Sep 13, 2015
  11. KeithR Win User
    I did exactly this. I changed the mobo on a win 8.1 system, activated it over the internet and then upgraded to win 10. Windows 10 was automatically activated.
    Keith

KeithR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install new motherboard- Install before or after Win10 upgrade? - Similar Threads - Install motherboard Install

2. BSOD after installing new motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after installing new motherboard and CPU: I recently replaced my motherboard and CPU while keeping my current SSD which holds Windows 10.I've been getting this error at random times and I don't know how to fix it"KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ntoskrnl.exe"Here is the dump file from said recent...
  3. BSOD after installing new motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after installing new motherboard and CPU: I recently replaced my motherboard and CPU while keeping my current SSD which holds Windows 10.I've been getting this error at random times and I don't know how to fix it"KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ntoskrnl.exe"Here is the dump file from said recent...
  4. BSOD after installing new motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installing upgraded WIn10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing upgraded WIn10 on new PC?: Im in the process of buying new components to build a new pc, its been at least 10 years since my last rebuild so out of the loop a little but wanted to know the process of installing WIN 10 on the new PC. My old pc had Win7 then the free upgrade came out and im now on...
  6. Motherboard drivers after fresh Win10 install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Motherboard drivers after fresh Win10 install: Do you need to install now the drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website or the Win10 install them by itself? I mean for example chipset drivers submitted by /u/MrGohut [link] [comments]...
  7. Will Win10 boot normally after upgrading to new Motherboard and CPU?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will Win10 boot normally after upgrading to new Motherboard and CPU?: I want to be as prepared as possible before I swap my Motherboard and CPU. Will Windows 10 boot like normal after I install the new parts and configure the BIOS? Will I have to make a fresh Windows installation? I've looked around a bit before coming to ask, and I found a...
  8. Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard: After a BIOS update, our computer is no longer usable. It turns on to a black screen and stays that way. We've been in touch with the manufacturer who sent out the update, but not having any success fixing it. A "Geek Squad" person, told us we would most likely need to...
  9. Can't activate win10 after installing new motherboard

Can't activate win10 after installing new motherboard: Hi I've tried to follow all the steps offered by Microsoft's help section but it doesn't seem to work for me. I bought a new Motherboard which I installed and now I can't activate my Windows 10 again. I updated to Win10 quite a while ago, from win7 or 8. I also have a...
  10. Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed

Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed: My old motherboard was broken so I had to replace it. I know that windows considers this a "new computer", but is there a way to transfer the license even though I could not deactivate my license on my old mobo....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install driver before motherboard change

2. should i format os with new motherboard win 10