Windows 10: Install on 8.1 from ISO?

Discus and support Install on 8.1 from ISO? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop running 8.1Pro. I downloaded the ISO, and mounted it on the laptop via the mount-iso capability. I attempted to run setup.exe from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lvdave, Jul 29, 2015.

1. lvdave Win User

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

I have a laptop running 8.1Pro. I downloaded the ISO, and mounted it on the laptop via the mount-iso capability. I attempted to run setup.exe from the mounted drive. All was ok until I get prompted for a product key.. Isn't the in-place upgrade via setup *supposed* to *see* the currently activated 8.1 key and *just* upgrade???

Thanks
    Dave

:)

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 Problem Installing on 8.1

Installing from 8.1 Keeps shutting down my computer after 30 percent installed and reinstalling windows 8.1

Donald Bertsch, Jul 29, 2015
  3. slance310 Win User
    How to upgrade to windows 10 using DVD

Hi,

Is your Win 8.1 properly activated ?

Are you booting from the DVD ????

To install the upgrade, run SETUP on the DVD from within Win 8.1..

You may need to install directly from this link...

slance310, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Windowz10 Win User

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

You cannot do an install from a booted ISO image first (whether dvd or usb based)

You can use that iso media to run the upgrade but you MUST run it while in the operating system you are upgrading.

You cannot do a clean/fresh install first.

Essentially the first installation MUST be an upgrade on top of an existing verifiable installation.

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  5. otisdog Win User
    At that point where it asks for a key look for "skip" down below. Click that and it will install w/o key. Then it should activate using your 8.1 key as a basis.
    I did the same but mine has not activated yet. They say it's so overloaded might take a couple days.
    Jim

otisdog, Jul 29, 2015
  6. lvdave Win User
    I thought I was clear about the fact I WAS running setup.exe from inside an activated Windows 8.1 install... The install shows it IS activated.... I'm well aware you can't do an in-place upgrade by booting the ISO... So why am I getting prompted for a product key??

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  7. lvdave Win User
    I must have replied at the same time you posted this.. I didn't notice any "skip" link when prompted for the product key... Will try
    again and look closer...

Thanks
    Dave

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

Did you get the right ISO?

Run winver from a Elevated Command Prompt to see what you have for 8.1 if you can.

Ztruker, Jul 29, 2015
  9. lvdave Win User
    UPDATE: Just ran setup.exe again, and I don't have a "skip" checkbox, just a little keyboard-looking thing...

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  10. lvdave Win User
    The ISO I downloaded was "Win10_Eng_x64.iso"

The currently running Windows 8.1 is

Version 6.3 (Build 9600)
    Sez Windows 8, but the ISO I installed it from was a Win8.1 ISO, and control panel/system shows its Windows 8.1Pro N

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    What does winver show (from a Elevated Command prompt)?

Ztruker, Jul 29, 2015
  12. Windowz10 Win User
    Yeah I could have assume that you did mean while inside windowz, but I wanted to be certain you didnt mean you booted to the dvd (thus it was mounted) and then had to manually trip the exe... Sorry, should have been clearer myself *Biggrin

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  13. lvdave Win User

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

As I said previously, it says

Microsoft Windows
    Version 6.3 (Build 9600)
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corp.

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  14. lvdave Win User
    I'm a retired Windows tech (started with Win311 in 1991), but since I retired, I spend 99.99% of my time on Linux, but am trying to
    get familiar with the latest Windows as I'm kinda the default "tech support" for my neighborhood...

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  15. Windowz10 Win User
    Big mistake. Huge.

No one in my area knows what I have done for a living, and I keep my family a good 5hr drive away.

*Biggrin

I still have the original windows install packet that Bill Gates gave 500 or so of us at a <insert-key-semi-maker-here> conference for FAEs. Figure I might be able to get Pawn Stars to buy it off me someday!

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

1. Install on 8.1 from ISO? - Similar Threads - Install ISO

2. Clean Install with ISO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install with ISO: A quick question. When I download the ISO File to clean install Windows 11, do I just mount it on the C: drive, which drive will be wiped clean and the fresh install of Windows 11 installed?I see some vides suggesting to create a partition but if I do not have to, then I will...
  3. Clean Install with ISO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install with ISO: A quick question. When I download the ISO File to clean install Windows 11, do I just mount it on the C: drive, which drive will be wiped clean and the fresh install of Windows 11 installed?I see some vides suggesting to create a partition but if I do not have to, then I will...
  4. I can't install Windows 10 ISO file on my Mac or in literally any other device I own

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't install Windows 10 ISO file on my Mac or in literally any other device I own: In the past, I've installed the Windows 10 ISO file from the official website without any trouble and did so multiple times in order to then use BootCamp and make disc partitions. But now, every time I try to access it and request to install it this error message appears: We...
  5. I can't install Windows 10 ISO file on my Mac or in literally any other device I own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't install Windows 10 ISO file on my Mac or in literally any other device I own: In the past, I've installed the Windows 10 ISO file from the official website without any trouble and did so multiple times in order to then use BootCamp and make disc partitions. But now, every time I try to access it and request to install it this error message appears: We...
  6. I can't install Windows 10 ISO file on my Mac or in literally any other device I own

7. A media driver your computer needs is missing- installing ISO that was downloaded a Mac

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A media driver your computer needs is missing- installing ISO that was downloaded a Mac: Hi! So- last night my keyboard would not stop typing zeroes. I think- It's busted, so I unplug go to bed and order a new one. This morning I wake up to the BSOD- critical process died. Ran chkdsk- it found errors and fixed. It won't run SC scan or DISM scan. Tried...
  8. A media driver your computer needs is missing- installing ISO that was downloaded a Mac

A media driver your computer needs is missing- installing ISO that was downloaded a Mac: Hi! So- last night my keyboard would not stop typing zeroes. I think- It's busted, so I unplug go to bed and order a new one. This morning I wake up to the BSOD- critical process died. Ran chkdsk- it found errors and fixed. It won't run SC scan or DISM scan. Tried...
  9. A media driver your computer needs is missing- installing ISO that was downloaded a Mac

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Where can I download Window 7 Home Premium ISO without installing downloaders and/or malware?

Where can I download Window 7 Home Premium ISO without installing downloaders and/or malware?: I have a PC that came with Windows 7 Home Premium and now I need to reinstall the OS. I'm having problems locating the Home Premium version. Can someone please post a download link for this OS?...