Windows 10: Install on 8.1 from ISO?

Discus and support Install on 8.1 from ISO? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop running 8.1Pro. I downloaded the ISO, and mounted it on the laptop via the mount-iso capability. I attempted to run setup.exe from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lvdave, Jul 29, 2015.

1. lvdave Win User

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

I have a laptop running 8.1Pro. I downloaded the ISO, and mounted it on the laptop via the mount-iso capability. I attempted to run setup.exe from the mounted drive. All was ok until I get prompted for a product key.. Isn't the in-place upgrade via setup *supposed* to *see* the currently activated 8.1 key and *just* upgrade???

Thanks
    Dave

:)

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 Problem Installing on 8.1

Installing from 8.1 Keeps shutting down my computer after 30 percent installed and reinstalling windows 8.1

Donald Bertsch, Jul 29, 2015
  3. slance310 Win User
    How to upgrade to windows 10 using DVD

Hi,

Is your Win 8.1 properly activated ?

Are you booting from the DVD ????

To install the upgrade, run SETUP on the DVD from within Win 8.1..

You may need to install directly from this link...

slance310, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Windowz10 Win User

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

You cannot do an install from a booted ISO image first (whether dvd or usb based)

You can use that iso media to run the upgrade but you MUST run it while in the operating system you are upgrading.

You cannot do a clean/fresh install first.

Essentially the first installation MUST be an upgrade on top of an existing verifiable installation.

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  5. otisdog Win User
    At that point where it asks for a key look for "skip" down below. Click that and it will install w/o key. Then it should activate using your 8.1 key as a basis.
    I did the same but mine has not activated yet. They say it's so overloaded might take a couple days.
    Jim

otisdog, Jul 29, 2015
  6. lvdave Win User
    I thought I was clear about the fact I WAS running setup.exe from inside an activated Windows 8.1 install... The install shows it IS activated.... I'm well aware you can't do an in-place upgrade by booting the ISO... So why am I getting prompted for a product key??

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  7. lvdave Win User
    I must have replied at the same time you posted this.. I didn't notice any "skip" link when prompted for the product key... Will try
    again and look closer...

Thanks
    Dave

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

Did you get the right ISO?

Run winver from a Elevated Command Prompt to see what you have for 8.1 if you can.

Ztruker, Jul 29, 2015
  9. lvdave Win User
    UPDATE: Just ran setup.exe again, and I don't have a "skip" checkbox, just a little keyboard-looking thing...

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  10. lvdave Win User
    The ISO I downloaded was "Win10_Eng_x64.iso"

The currently running Windows 8.1 is

Version 6.3 (Build 9600)
    Sez Windows 8, but the ISO I installed it from was a Win8.1 ISO, and control panel/system shows its Windows 8.1Pro N

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    What does winver show (from a Elevated Command prompt)?

Ztruker, Jul 29, 2015
  12. Windowz10 Win User
    Yeah I could have assume that you did mean while inside windowz, but I wanted to be certain you didnt mean you booted to the dvd (thus it was mounted) and then had to manually trip the exe... Sorry, should have been clearer myself *Biggrin

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  13. lvdave Win User

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

As I said previously, it says

Microsoft Windows
    Version 6.3 (Build 9600)
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corp.

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  14. lvdave Win User
    I'm a retired Windows tech (started with Win311 in 1991), but since I retired, I spend 99.99% of my time on Linux, but am trying to
    get familiar with the latest Windows as I'm kinda the default "tech support" for my neighborhood...

lvdave, Jul 29, 2015
  15. Windowz10 Win User
    Big mistake. Huge.

No one in my area knows what I have done for a living, and I keep my family a good 5hr drive away.

*Biggrin

I still have the original windows install packet that Bill Gates gave 500 or so of us at a <insert-key-semi-maker-here> conference for FAEs. Figure I might be able to get Pawn Stars to buy it off me someday!

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Install on 8.1 from ISO?

1. Install on 8.1 from ISO? - Similar Threads - Install ISO

2. how to install windows10 from ISO ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to install windows10 from ISO ?: Hello , I have downlaod win10 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise and got the ISO file 17763.107.101029-1455.rs5_release_svc_refresh_CLIENT_LTSC_EVAL_x86FRE_en-us.iso upluad it to a usb using rufus but when I try to...
  3. I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file: I installed Windows 10 on my computer from an iso file a while ago but not sure where a copy of this could be located. Any suggestions as to what to do next? 126230
  4. I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file

in Windows 10 Support
    I am installing a virtual machine and need a Windows 10 iso file: I installed Windows 10 on my computer from an iso file a while ago but not sure where a copy of this could be located. Any suggestions as to what to do next? 126230
  5. windows 10 insider 1809 wont update - have tried installing with iso -- no luck. need...

windows 10 insider 1809 wont update - have tried installing with iso -- no luck. need...: have an old windows insider version .. which is expiring soon. tried updates failed each time. tried to update from media iso file with help of ms agent - install failed about 50% way through received this error message - 0xc1900101_0x30018 Installation failed in...
  6. If I update Windows 10 by downloading and installing the ISO files will my saved games be...

If I update Windows 10 by downloading and installing the ISO files will my saved games be...: I am talking mainly of steam saved games but they all matter. A few weeks ago Windows 10 started to refuse to detect and download updates and it is bothering me every 15 minutes or so with a message box that says Windows is not up to date and its annoying af....
  7. Win10 1809 Hyper-V new install will not boot from mounted ISO

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 1809 Hyper-V new install will not boot from mounted ISO: Good day, I have a new Win10 1809 box that I have enabled Hyper-V on. I have created a VM and have set the DVD drive to a none good Win10 1809 Pro ISO, but it will not boot. I manually created VM and I have used the Hyper-V Quick Create app. It comes up with the following...
  8. Regarding installing windows 10 using iso file made by Media Creation Tool 1809

Regarding installing windows 10 using iso file made by Media Creation Tool 1809: I received a activated window 10 with my laptop. I just wanted to know if re-installing the Window 10 on my laptop using the iso prepared by Media Creation Tool 1809 will require product key ?...
  9. Can I use my existing HD to house the Windows 10 installation ISO?

Can I use my existing HD to house the Windows 10 installation ISO?: Here's my situation: I have an old, small, and apparently corrupted SSD that runs my OS - My C drive. It has enough space to hold the windows 10 ISO file. I have a new, blank, formatted SSD installed to hold the new OS - my Z drive. Once I have Windows 10 on that new...
  10. install winddows 10 iso in Ubuntu Linux and get error "media driver you computer need is...

install winddows 10 iso in Ubuntu Linux and get error "media driver you computer need is...: My PC is Ubuntu Linux OS(64-bits) and when i install windows 10 iso file in Ubuntu Linux with virtual box(my PC is customized without DVD drive) and get an error with "media driver you computer need is missing". i tried many workaround suggested by others but still doesn't...